Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did X100D onboard charger change to 48A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I searched but can’t find an answer to my question. I have a June 2017 X100D that has the 72A onboard charger. Apparently all S/X now come with a 48A charger. See Onboard Charger

I’m wondering when that change occurred?

It’s interesting to look back at how Tesla has decreased the onboard charger max current over the years.

My 2013 S85 had an 80A charger. I installed a 100A circuit in my garage for it. My Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range has a 48A charger. I’m charging it in my garage on a 90A circuit that I installed for my Roadster, which could charge at 70A. But now, no Tesla can AC charge at more than 48A.

I think that over the past few years Tesla realized that most people can get the range they need by charging overnight at home at less than 50A or they might charge all day at work at something like 40A, and that works out for them. That, combined with the expanding Supercharger network and Destination charger network means that higher power AC charging isn’t critical. So Tesla reduced the onboard charge rate, which probably saves some cost (standardizing the S/X and Long Range 3 to the same lower capacity charger) and which is unlikely to result in a significant number of lost sales.

It happened around Nov 2018.
No, that may have been when someone noticed a change on their website, but I think they still had some inventory of the 72A chargers to use and they hadn't changed the production line yet.
I have an X with 72 A charger that was built in December so some time after that.
This. From actual builds of the vehicles, it seems to be narrowed down to mid-December when the manufacturing change actually happened.

How can you tell between 72A and 48A? I'm charging via NEMA 14-50, so only 40A sustained. My Monroney sticker/tesla account says I have 72A.
The foolproof way to test for it is to go to your charging screen when you are not plugged into anything. See what you can adjust the amps to. When it's not getting a signal from a charging cable to tell it a different maximum amps, it will let you dial it up to whatever the maximum amps of the onboard charger is.
(edit) And @Doutt asked the same question.

Reactions: MP3Mike