Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do I really have to bring in my MS for routine mainenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MS 100D, 15k miles over 2 years of ownership, no issues.
I was thinking of going 3 years before getting first ever routine maintenance.
What do I really need other than checking brake fluid and cabin filters? Do I really need an A/C recharge if A/C working fine?
I don't need dealer to change my key fob batteries or wiper blades.
Seems with my low mileage, 3 years should not be a problem.

I only went in at 48k which happened at about 3.5 years. That was only to have them see about any warranty issues. I am now at 92k and 6 years and haven't done an additional maintenance.
You need to drive more.....
But seriously, the value of the car is significantly less when you drive it less.

Reactions: mspohr
I brought mine in once at 3.4 years and 44k miles. My plan was to wait until closer to my warranty expiration. It was about the same time that I needed a windshield replacement due to a rock chip. I wanted them to do a “once over” before the warranty expired.

Since you probably don’t need to worry about road salt, brake lubrication isn’t necessary either.

AC just needs the dessicant replaced, not a recharge. If you need a recharge, you should have the system checked for leaks as it is supposed to be closed.

I talked to a mobile tech about maintenance and he said even the dessicant is optional given that many other cars never need their dessicant packs replaced. It is only more important on the Tesla as the cooling system is also used to cool the battery in some cases.

I would clean and lubricate the brakes on a regular basis as the pads can seize in the calipers due to minimal use on an EV, but that's a pretty easy task if your pads are not already seized.

Rotate tires same as any vehicle.

AC systems are sealed. If you need to recharge it then that means there's a defect in it.

I'm at a loss with regard to this regular maintenance on a Tesla. There's basic stuff like checking tire wear but anyone can do that.

I guess the battery has it's own coolant system but it isn't punished nearly as much as on an ICE.

I only went in at 48k which happened at about 3.5 years. That was only to have them see about any warranty issues. I am now at 92k and 6 years and haven't done an additional maintenance.
But seriously, the value of the car is significantly less when you drive it less.
I did the same with my 2015 Model S. Checked at 48K for warranty issues (none).
Now close to 100,000 and I only change wiper blades and cabin air filter.
And yes, you definitely need to drive more...

Cars with lower miles are valued at higher $ amounts on the used market than equivalent cars with higher miles, regardless of manufacturer. Example: all other factors equal, A 2017 Model S with 8k miles is going to demand higher dollar than a 2017 Model S with 48k miles.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I would clean and lubricate the brakes on a regular basis as the pads can seize in the calipers due to minimal use on an EV, but that's a pretty easy task if your pads are not already seized.
This is good advice. I paid for the maintenance package on the MX which was supposed to include a brake check at 12.5k, 25k, 37.5k and 50k miles, but I don't think it was ever done. I checked them at 62k miles and the front right pads were corroded to the caliper and frozen. I had to remove the caliper, then I damaged the pads (which had negligible wear) trying to get them out. $110 for replacement pads and a 2 day wait because they had to be special ordered at AutoZone.
Needless to say, I now inspect and lube every year when the snow tires go on.

i did the 50k miles maintaince and once they were done and i saw what they did i could've just done it myself and now tesla says its not needed at the original interval numbers anymore. Also because i have a big mouth and have serious foot in mouth issues when i picked up the car they had me sign the invoice and that i was good to go, then i said "how much do i owe", or "what's the damage" i don't remember, she said you have the prepaid maintaince plan so its free and I'm like "no i don't" then they look at the computer and go oh yeah you don't its $800 then. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Reactions: ‘Merica