Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does a Model S become a 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Palmetto, FL bought the 85D in Sarasota and will take delivery in Tampa. The conversation with the DS took place yesterday. I'll comment when the new VIN has been communicated to us.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I was wondering if the offer was limited to those in CA (or West coast) so that the delivery would be easy to do prior to year-end. You're pretty much as far as you can get, so that certainly doesn't seem like a consideration.

I had a February delivery date set when I ordered in October. I got the call about a week ago asking if I wanted to accelerate the delivery date (and still get a 2016 VIN) but I said I wanted to wait for February.
Today I got an email saying a VIN has been assigned. The email shows a late January/early February delivery. If it really only takes them a week to build the car, doesn't it seem to soon to have a VIN assigned?

Telsa is telling me that they use rail to get the cars out here to the East coast. 3-4 weeks on a train they say. That seems a bit excessive.

Don't know who at Tesla is telling you that but looking at the spreadsheet the average delivery to the east coast looks to be 10-14 days. You know they are trying to recognize revenue and delivery of units in 2015 otherwise why would they go to the exercise of changing the VIN process. They will do whatever they can to get the car delivered this year and if they can't by a week want us to take delivery on paper while it is in transit so they can meet their goals. Perfectly legal for the tax rebate and their accounting purposes as long as the car has left their dock.

Last edited:
Telsa is telling me that they use rail to get the cars out here to the East coast. 3-4 weeks on a train they say. That seems a bit excessive.

They use a combination of trains and trucks depending on capacity and how close your delivery is to the end of the quarter. If it's sent by train it does take 3 weeks. Lots of loading/unloading along the route.

Paid deposit yesterday, it stated February delivery. Confirmed order this morning, 2016 VIN assigned and now it says in production queue, estimated delivery late December/January. Holy Christmas present!

You are close to the factory so it is possible. Average time to East Coast is 10 days or so....Mine (Sparkz and a bunch of others too) should be coming out of production very soon, hopefully through factory inspection and on the road to Florida. It will be tight for the last week of the year but that is what I am hoping for. If you wanted for the soonest possible date they are trying to get them out for sure. Speculation is, they want to shut production down for a week to reward workers for meeting production (hopefully not sacrificing quality) goals.