Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When EPA range was given, is that with areo covers on? What about the sport wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those numbers are very likely skewed as most of the records were entered before the actual wheel options were added in.
If you take a look at the photos of delivered cars, they are about 50/50. This poll shows just over 50% choosing aero over the sport wheels.
I doubt either poll is relevant to the question of what employees are ordering as part of the LR only initial production, which presumably set the requirements for the first EPA document.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Those numbers are very likely skewed as most of the records were entered before the actual wheel options were added in.
If you take a look at the photos of delivered cars, they are about 50/50. This poll shows just over 50% choosing aero over the sport wheels.
You are basing your opinion on the results of 150 people on a fan site like TMC. And the results are 55% in favor of the 18" wheels. I give more credence to 10K respondents on fan sites and not.

You can interpret the results of model3tracker.info anyway you wish but reservationists can change the results of their preferences at any time, so the results aren't skewed. I have changed my preferences a couple of times as new information about the model 3 has been revealed. You have stated your preference for the 19" sport wheels a couple of times, which is fine, to each his own. I hope that a majority of owners will select the sport wheels because that will make my customized 18" aero wheels even more unique among >500K cars.

Last edited:
What "poll", there is no link. You are basing your opinion on the number of photos of arbitrary random cars and that is not skewed?

You can interpret the results of model3tracker.info anyway you wish but reservationists can change the results of their preferences at any time, so the results aren't skewed. I have changed my preferences a couple of times as new information about the model 3 has been revealed. You have stated your preference for the 19" sport wheels a couple of times, which is fine, to each his own. I hope that a majority of owners will select the sport wheels because that will make my customized 18" aero wheels even more unique among >500K cars.
It is the text that is in red that says “poll”

Let's be realistic here guys. The 220/310 miles range is WITH the aero wheel on. There is in no way tesla going nerf the range by using the nicer looking rims. Expect a range hit if you want nice looking things. This is the same with the model s and x. You want nice rims? Give up range. There is no point in hoping you can get more range if you have aero rim. The only way to gain range is bigger battery or drive slower.

Let's be realistic here guys. The 220/310 miles range is WITH the aero wheel on. There is in no way tesla going nerf the range by using the nicer looking rims. Expect a range hit if you want nice looking things. This is the same with the model s and x. You want nice rims? Give up range. There is no point in hoping you can get more range if you have aero rim. The only way to gain range is bigger battery or drive slower.

Please provide data to back up your assertion. Its quite possible that Tesla nerfed the EPA range so that even with the sport rims you get 220/310 miles range to avoid customer disappointment.

Reactions: melindav
Tesla, or any other manufacturer, has to nerf the range if they expect more than 33% of cars sold to come with the range-nerfing option. If they don't do that, the EPA can and will bring the hammer down like they did with Ford and Hyundai.