Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is the best time to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a better time/month to buy a MX 7 seater either standard range or long range for the best deal and have some discounts applied? Maybe when they’re trying to get rid of some inventory? If I’m not in a rush, I don’t know if I should be worried about a) the $1,000 increase of FSD on Aug 16, b) the loss of 1875 tax credit at the end of this year. Any chance of any changes to the car the beginning of 2020?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

The best time to buy is when the amount of money asked for the options listed matches how much you're willing to pay for that set of options. Buy knowing that options/price absolutely will change shortly after you buy.

But also know it'll still be the best damned car you can buy.

Tesla is not a traditional car company. In other words, big 10k incentives or seasonal sales generally don't happen. This year has been a little strange because of the price reductions and then the addition/subtraction/addition of free unlimited supercharging.

It's the right time to buy when...

...you have come to terms that something you pay for as an option will be included in the base price in the next year.
...you have come to terms that the car will likely arrive with defects that may or may not be resolved quickly by a service center.
...you are financially safe enough that if the company goes bankrupt tomorrow, you can drive the car into the ground (i.e. you are not banking on a high residual value trade-in).
...you have a charging plan in place.

After that, enjoy! Best car I've owned.

• Funny
Reactions: ladysbff
There is no standard range MX right now. The best time to buy appears to be now - you get free supercharging for as long as you own the vehicle and it can travel 325 miles on a charge. My MX 60D can only go 188 miles on a charge.

Brent

I noticed on the tesla website when you look at new inventory, it shows some Model X standard range 2019 vehicles. I wonder if those are priced the same as long range or slightly less.

The best time to buy is when the price gets close to parity with your other options plus whatever premium you’re willing to pay for an EV. The price right now is comparable to my other choice, a BMW X5 with the V8 (similar performance) so it was a no brainer for me