Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is your Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive due for delivery, mine is in late 2018?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My April 1 online reservation shows delivery for "standard" configuration to be Jan-March 2018 and dual motor to be Oct 2018-Dec 2018.

For me, AWD always offers peace of mind and I appreciate the added performance that AWD delivers. I fully expect the dual motor cars to offer range improvements and be more fun to drive with at least 1/2 second faster 0-60 times.

Having said that, I'm not willing to piss away $7500 in tax incentives to get AWD over RWD configuration. I have a 10 mile each way commute currently and on the 10-15 days a year when AWD really becomes necessary I can arrange alternative transportation or work from home.

I also have lease of a BMW that ends in early September of 2018, so I will be trying to time my M3 delivery (if I choose to keep my reservation, want to drive the car first if at all possible) for as late as possible in 2018 while still getting the full federal tax credit.

Interesting comments by this guy from Top Gear: Our short foray highlighted that the Model 3’s quoted 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds might be underplaying its performance.

Maybe this is another example of anti-selling the Model 3. How far is Tesla going to take this?

Tesla Model 3 review: first drive of Elon Musk's affordable EV

I do not think it is anti-selling, I think it is avoiding lawsuits. They have had to deal with people suing over Ludicrous being limited, battery sizes not exactly what they claimed and many others because they published exact details. I think this is also one reason they are calling the batteries by the range and not size.

Are Dual Motors really going to be worth $8,250 extra or so? That is based on the cost being $4,500 and the tax credit lowering from $7,500 to $3,750.

My attitude is - it is what it is at the time. And I'll decide at the time what's a value or not. Nobody will know with any certainty for quite some time when the tax credit drops and/or when AWD will ship and for how much. There might even be a "P" version at that point.

There's also nothing saying that Tesla can't or won't adjust prices down somewhat to account for the lowered tax credit.

You do realize the
My April 1 online reservation shows delivery for "standard" configuration to be Jan-March 2018 and dual motor to be Oct 2018-Dec 2018.

For me, AWD always offers peace of mind and I appreciate the added performance that AWD delivers. I fully expect the dual motor cars to offer range improvements and be more fun to drive with at least 1/2 second faster 0-60 times.

Having said that, I'm not willing to piss away $7500 in tax incentives to get AWD over RWD configuration. I have a 10 mile each way commute currently and on the 10-15 days a year when AWD really becomes necessary I can arrange alternative transportation or work from home.

I also have lease of a BMW that ends in early September of 2018, so I will be trying to time my M3 delivery (if I choose to keep my reservation, want to drive the car first if at all possible) for as late as possible in 2018 while still getting the full federal tax credit.
You do realize that the RWD AC induction motor is over the rear axle ....if you live in a climate like that i would suggest that the RWD is fine and would actually reduce your probability of future failure (less parts) and with regenerative braking the failure item is the axle ... not cheap ... everyone has become conditioned to buy AWD you only get marginal performance gains with AWD over RWD
one other point I had a VW bug with the rear motor over the RWD and it was great in the snow ... I have not tried my Model S RWD in the snow yet ... but i would guess it will be good ... also you would not drive this car in deep snow no matter what due to low profile ... go for the RWD and get your Tesla sooner :D good luck with your M3

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
You do realize the

You do realize that the RWD AC induction motor is over the rear axle ....if you live in a climate like that i would suggest that the RWD is fine and would actually reduce your probability of future failure (less parts) and with regenerative braking the failure item is the axle ... not cheap ... everyone has become conditioned to buy AWD you only get marginal performance gains with AWD over RWD
one other point I had a VW bug with the rear motor over the RWD and it was great in the snow ... I have not tried my Model S RWD in the snow yet ... but i would guess it will be good ... also you would not drive this car in deep snow no matter what due to low profile ... go for the RWD and get your Tesla sooner :D good luck with your M3

No offense, but I've been driving & buying cars in RWD/FWD/AWD configuration now for 25 years in this climate.

Hands down, if cost is no object then AWD + snow tires is the way to go. All AWD vehicles have higher long term maintenance costs than their RWD/FWD counterparts.

There's nothing magical that Tesla can do with RWD that BMW, Mercedes, etc., can't do. I understand that the Tesla has a lower center of gravity and decent traction control but when climbing icy hills nothing beats AWD.... which is why you almost never see RWD cars out here in the winter time.

Having said that, I'd be a fool to pass on the RWD car if it meant losing the federal tax credit. I can put some of the money towards a good set of winter tires with separate wheels and just swap them out myself 2X a year. When the weather is extremely bad I can either stay home or drive my 15 year old Suzuki XL7 which has real 4WD and a very high ground clearance and is almost impossible to get stuck if you're patient and know how to drive.

No offense, but I've been driving & buying cars in RWD/FWD/AWD configuration now for 25 years in this climate.

Hands down, if cost is no object then AWD + snow tires is the way to go. All AWD vehicles have higher long term maintenance costs than their RWD/FWD counterparts.

There's nothing magical that Tesla can do with RWD that BMW, Mercedes, etc., can't do. I understand that the Tesla has a lower center of gravity and decent traction control but when climbing icy hills nothing beats AWD.... which is why you almost never see RWD cars out here in the winter time.

Having said that, I'd be a fool to pass on the RWD car if it meant losing the federal tax credit. I can put some of the money towards a good set of winter tires with separate wheels and just swap them out myself 2X a year. When the weather is extremely bad I can either stay home or drive my 15 year old Suzuki XL7 which has real 4WD and a very high ground clearance and is almost impossible to get stuck if you're patient and know how to drive.

Just doing the napkin math, a used 85D with low miles will be less than $10k difference in price than a M3 AWD long range with half tax credit.

Bay Area owner. Ordered two on 3/31. What's weird is I got 2 different delivery dates for AWD

upload_2017-7-31_16-20-33.png