TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When on TMC, which app do you use?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MarcoRP, Apr 9, 2018.

Tags:
?

Which application do you use when on TMC?

1. Safari

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Google (Normal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Google Chrome

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

I asked this to myself a while ago when @Phillip L said this
    Now I use TMC with iPad, on Chrome, and I can easily get links up here. Is there an app for TMC, or are there any other app recommendations?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Whatever browser I have handy. iPad or iPhone it's Safari. PC it's usually Chrome but sometimes Firefox. Depends what PC I'm using.

• Like x 1
  3. cuspie

cuspie Supporting Member

I use Firefox Quantum pretty much everywhere ... Desktop, laptop, mobile

4. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

What's Google (Normal)?

• Like x 2
  5. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

#5 Electroman, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    There was an amazing smartphone App named Tapatalk that the owners of this site decided to stop supporting when they did a major upgrade of the forum software.

It was quick, easy to navigate. Amazing user experience.

6. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

I typically use Safari when on my iOS and MacOS devices due to content blockers and anti-tracking features. And use Chrome when on Windows PCs.

7. MarcoRP

Just the average Google, w/o Chrome

8. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

That's not a thing......? You need a browser to view the site. Google is a website while Google Chrome is their browser.

• Like x 3
  9. wayner

wayner Active Member

The poll is missing a few of the more popular browsers, such as Firefox, IE and Edge.

10. MarcoRP

Well they are in the minority, with only 3 votes right now.

11. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

For us Mac users, most use Safari

12. wayner

wayner Active Member

I think that is because many/most people don't understand the question. It should be What browser do you use for reading/posting on TMC.

If you look at browser market share for most web pages the poll results don't really make sense, unless this site has an extraordinarily large bias towards Apple. Safari's share in the desktop/laptop browser share is fairly small. Even on mobile devices it would be no better than 50% as Android users would not be using Safari.

13. wayner

wayner Active Member

Agreed but Mac users are a small minority of overall desktop/laptop users. Apple has about 8% market share in the US. It would likely have a higher market share in wealthier demographics so I would guess that its market share with TMC users would be higher, but nowhere near 50%. And previous surveys on TMC have found the Android/iPhone split to be close to 50-50.

• Like x 1
  14. Whisky

Whisky Member

I run a whisky related website that attracts (I'm assuming) higher-income hits. Windows only makes up 20% of the platforms coming in. iOS (40%) and Android (24%) are the top three. macOS is only 8%. Browser wise, because desktops are such a small percentage, IE, Firefox etc.. make-up a vague 15%

15. wayner

wayner Active Member

I am surprised that desktops are such a small percentage on your website - do you suspect that you get a lot of hits when people are on a liquour store about to buy a bottle? I rarely browse TMC on my phone, although I will use an iPad quite a bit.

I also got into a bit of a disagreement with someone on the Model S UI sub-forum about Android vs iOS and he was insisting that Android would have much greater market sure for Tesla apps - I disagreed as from my understanding it is closer to 50-50.

16. Whisky

Whisky Member

TMC is definitely not as fun to use on a mobile device with the way I use it (I open up multiple tabs etc..). However, I think this is a general trend that mobile traffic is leading the way. I should add, mobile doesn't distinguish between iPad and iPhone (or the size of the Android device). There are likely ways to get these stats, I just don't collect them.

And yes, definitely, a lot of searches from liquor stores.. I'm pretty sure that tips the stats a fair bit.

17. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

tesla owners are extraordinarily biased towards apple so that makes sense

18. wayner

wayner Active Member

19. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

On regular, older Android builds, there were native Android browser built in the OS. Sometimes it is called as default browser. Users can of course download and use Chrome on Android.
    On newer Android builds such as Nougat or Oreo, Chrome is the default browser.