Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background- I lease a model S currently, lease expires in August. Love the car, not going back to ICE.
Next car will be a model 3 AWD, non-performance (live in Chicago, speed bumps and potholes prohibit a lower suspension).

Do I bite before June 30 to get the extra rebate, or do I wait and risk a slightly higher price, the reward being better tech (the tech always improves on these cars).
I'm leaning towards a lease again, there are tax advantages for me.

Anyone (everyone) care to share an opinion? Emotionally I want the new car sooner. My intellectual side says wait until August.

No matter when you buy, you will be disappointed as shortly after that, there will be some new feature or tech that you missed out on. So if you are worried about that and leasing has tax advantages for you, I'd recommend that route. I kind of wish I had leased my S, since these cars are changing as fast as smart phones. In 2 years the old model is obsolete.

I'd recommend near end of Quarters... (March, June, Sep, Dec)

I was able to get quite the price adjustment on an end of Q1 push... ($5,660 off)
Feel free to PM me for my advisor information. He's helped quite a few people on these forums as well. Not all got huge price reductions, but he's very knowledgeable and can help you find your exact vehicle specs regardless.

Have to take delivery before June 30th to get $3750 fed tax. Price of FSD goes up May 10th. All new now are 3.0 FSD and all 2.0 will get free upgrade I think.

I’d imagine next big push won’t be till the Y which is 2 years away? I think they are more focused on making manufacturing streamlined and cranking out the least expensive M3 to fill demand and boost profits. The margin is the same on all the cars from what I’ve heard.

Just re lease early, this time the 3. If you are not buying the cars off lease, for every feature you miss now, you'll pickup five more at the next lease cycle.

The 3 doesn't have the same rapid update frenzy as the S at the moment: recent new MCU, recent new motor type, pending interior refresh rumor, pending new battery rumor, pending higher supercharging speeds.

You could wait the whole two years for the heads up display addition. What else is rumored on the 3?

Last edited:
Have to take delivery before June 30th to get $3750 fed tax. Price of FSD goes up May 10th. All new now are 3.0 FSD and all 2.0 will get free upgrade I think.

I’d imagine next big push won’t be till the Y which is 2 years away? I think they are more focused on making manufacturing streamlined and cranking out the least expensive M3 to fill demand and boost profits. The margin is the same on all the cars from what I’ve heard.

Those who have bet on stagnant pricing and less favorable bundles have been wrong for years, especially over the past 9 months where pricing and bundles have been friendly to those who waited. Those of us who jumped in when we thought it was ideal (Hurry! The tax credit is expiring!!) would have benefitted -- in some cases dramatically -- by simply waiting just 60 or 90 days.

Since the end of Q4, Tesla's financial position has worsened with disappointing delivery numbers and a liquidity crunch stemming from a loan repayment. That doesn't mean they'll collapse, but they will be increasingly desperate for deposits, orders, add-on revenue, etc.

There is no sign whatsoever things will be less favorable for buyers 4 months from now. Indeed, the tax credit expiry was actually MORE beneficial for buyers who got half of it in January vs. the end of 2018. If your lease goes to August, enjoy every day of it and laugh all the way to the bank once you make your move.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If your lease expires August, you'll most likely to be replacing the car then. Don't sweat the details too much.

Best to avoid a new lease and go with a longterm loan instead for the new vehicle, unless there is some overwhelming tax reason to lease. Gives you a lot more flexibility in the future.

Reactions: jamessmooth007
Background- I lease a model S currently, lease expires in August. Love the car, not going back to ICE.
Next car will be a model 3 AWD, non-performance (live in Chicago, speed bumps and potholes prohibit a lower suspension).

Do I bite before June 30 to get the extra rebate, or do I wait and risk a slightly higher price, the reward being better tech (the tech always improves on these cars).
I'm leaning towards a lease again, there are tax advantages for me.

Anyone (everyone) care to share an opinion? Emotionally I want the new car sooner. My intellectual side says wait until August.

You are probably doomed no matter what... Switch now, maybe better price, especially on FSD option if you want that, tax rebate is bigger, but might miss out on some new tech in the car(I don't think that is very likely on the 3 at this point).... Switch in August and you MIGHT get some new tech but you lose part of the tax rebate, and the car and/or options might be more expensive.

Whatever you do, just do it but be firm in your decision and be happy with your purchase.

Thanks everyone!

I think I'm gonna wait. I might end up with a bit of a higher price, but the tech improves so quickly, maybe I'll get lucky on something (heated steering wheel anyone?) If I get a call at the end of June I'll bite, otherwise I'll wait and lease my next one in August or Sept. I like the lease for tax reasons (small business) and because I get a new car every 3 years. I don't like the way Tesla runs the leases, they're little mysterious, but it's probably the way to go for me.

Didn’t the price of FSD already go up 1k?

Thanks everyone!

I think I'm gonna wait. I might end up with a bit of a higher price, but the tech improves so quickly, maybe I'll get lucky on something (heated steering wheel anyone?) If I get a call at the end of June I'll bite, otherwise I'll wait and lease my next one in August or Sept. I like the lease for tax reasons (small business) and because I get a new car every 3 years. I don't like the way Tesla runs the leases, they're little mysterious, but it's probably the way to go for me.

My Cadillac lease was coming up at the end of September. 2 weeks ago, I sold the vehicle to my Caddy dealer instead. I gave them the car + $1500 to be free and clear of it.

Works to my favor in a big way. I was looking at a $700 lease end fee in september, plus the loss of $1775 of the fed tax credit if I waited. So I’m already positive $975 by getting out early. I also may have needed tires for lease turn in (I was already at 4/32”) - so that’s at least several hundred dollars more even for used tires.

Plus, there was a $2500 price drop between order and delivering on my LR AWD. So I’m already ahead of the game.

Combining the income tax credit and $0 sales tax on EVs in NJ, this was a total no brainer to make a move early.

It just worked out ... May or may not for you, but worth checking the math.