Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to use the ESS Service Disconnect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone new member here! My goal is (and has been for 10 years) to purchase a roadster, and I am here to learn as much about them as I can.

Are there any downsides to pulling the Service Disconnect if you are going on a multi week vacation or storing the car for an extended period?
I have read many horror stories about people accidentally bricking the roadster by not realizing the circuit has tripped when going on vacation etc so is there any downside to leaving a roadster with the ESS disconnected? Also when shipping the car cross-country should you pull the disconnect to be on the safe side, or is this unnecessary?
I know the car cannot cool the pack, but would it even need any pack cooling since the battery isn't charging or discharging when disconnected? When disconnected does the battery risk becoming unbalanced?
Is there anything you need to do to the car before pulling the disconnect, and when you reconnect what procedures do you then need to follow?

So you already know where it is?
--
Yep, I understand how to pull the plug. You open the trunk and its tucked away on the left side of the bay, you pull a lever up on the plug and then remove it to disconnect. I understand that some say it is easier to remove the rear left wheel and wheel-well liner to access the plug, but I also understand that you can reach it easily enough if you have long have long flexible arms.

I can reach it, just barely. Pretty sure you will find exact instructions for this by searching the forum. Damage can result if you screw up but it is not hard. Don’t break the latch or immediately plug it back in. Disable APS first.

Hey everyone new member here! My goal is (and has been for 10 years) to purchase a roadster, and I am here to learn as much about them as I can.

Are there any downsides to pulling the Service Disconnect if you are going on a multi week vacation or storing the car for an extended period?
I have read many horror stories about people accidentally bricking the roadster by not realizing the circuit has tripped when going on vacation etc so is there any downside to leaving a roadster with the ESS disconnected? Also when shipping the car cross-country should you pull the disconnect to be on the safe side, or is this unnecessary?
I know the car cannot cool the pack, but would it even need any pack cooling since the battery isn't charging or discharging when disconnected? When disconnected does the battery risk becoming unbalanced?
Is there anything you need to do to the car before pulling the disconnect, and when you reconnect what procedures do you then need to follow?
It depends on who you ask! There are certainly drawbacks to pulling the disconnect in the situations you mention. Perhaps the real question is: Are the drawbacks worse than the risks associated with not pulling the disconnect? Personally I wouldn't bother in your cases.

The Roadster has been known to cool itself when not charging or driving. Yes it's more likely to become unbalanced but that will eventually correct itself.

If I was shipping the car overseas I would be tempted to disconnect if I had a shipper who would permit that (none of them will). For domestic shipping I would just charge it full and not worry. You can turn the car on by bumping or bouncing it hard enough. Enough time on a moving truck or boat could run the ess dead from having the car "on" most of the time. The same could happen if stored in a hot enough place. But pulling the disconnect poses other risks including safety issues like a runaway thermal event.

For multi-week storage it makes little or no difference assuming you don't use storage mode.

Just my .02. Good luck completing your 10-year journey.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ra88it