Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will EAP w/ HW2.5 stop getting better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about this but from everything I've heard the subscription FSD is intended as a way for users to try it out for a brief period to see if they think it is worth ponying up for the full amount. If that's the case, I highly doubt Tesla is going to come upgrade the hardware so someone can try it for a brief period. From everything I've heard, this is a multi-man hour process by a mobile tech and then there's the cost of the hardware itself. So i'm skeptical that would make financial sense for them. If they did offer that, I would jump on it just to get smoother EAP if I didn't feel like FSD was worth whatever the number is next week...

Trying FSD with HW2.5 is not going to give the person the true experience they would get with HW3.0. So I'm still curious to see how they pull this off. Maybe if you have HW2.5 you have to sign up for 3 month minimum to at least cover the cost of HW installation? Dunno. Time will tell but it should be cheaper than to pony up for the full FSD especially if I am not fully interested in FSD.

Trying FSD with HW2.5 is not going to give the person the true experience they would get with HW3.0. So I'm still curious to see how they pull this off. Maybe if you have HW2.5 you have to sign up for 3 month minimum to at least cover the cost of HW installation? Dunno. Time will tell but it should be cheaper than to pony up for the full FSD especially if I am not fully interested in FSD.
Yea some sort of minimum makes sense... or maybe a "hardware upgrade only" cost option... then that would unlock the FSD subscription or FSD software upgrade in the app?

If they did a hardware only upgrade, that might be a neat way for folks who want to stay on EAP to get a smoother, more reliable experience... and has the cost of the hardware falls, this could maybe get cheaper over time.. *probably not, but we can dream, right?* :)

Reactions: powaking
We'll see how they market and partition the automation. It would be a huge hassle for Tesla, that already struggles with support on their 1,000,000 car fleet, to try to add dealing with Sunday-only NOA users who are trying to squeeze on cost.

I'm sure HW2.5 will improve in what it does. Personally, I wouldn't dream of paying the price of a machine like this and not having all its capabilities, especially since my daily experience with Freeway NOA is excellent. I don't expect to be sleeping in the back, wouldn't want to, and have no quarrel with taking over on occasion. My Model 3 is an explorer, not a bus. But driving with evolving automation requires re-training the human brain to a new type of driving. Occasional use is sub-optimal in both safety and performance.

These issues suggest that there won't be a cheap path to support a hey, Testla, screw your profits, this stuff isn't good enough, I only want it for a drive here, an hour there option.