Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will there be a 48v Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was easy to do it on the Cybertruck because it was all new.

To do that on an existing model would require a complete ground up redesign of every single electrical component.

The benefit in 48v vs 12v is reduced wire size which reduces cost and weight. I don’t think the cost of a ground up electrical redesign would be worth the savings in wiring cost, and especially not worth doing for something without any tangible benefits to the end user. You would have no way to tell a car is 12V or 48V without someone else telling you or looking at the low voltage battery specs.

It was easy to do it on the Cybertruck because it was all new.

To do that on an existing model would require a complete ground up redesign of every single electrical component.

The benefit in 48v vs 12v is reduced wire size which reduces cost and weight. I don’t think the cost of a ground up electrical redesign would be worth the savings in wiring cost, and especially not worth doing for something without any tangible benefits to the end user. You would have no way to tell a car is 12V or 48V without someone else telling you or looking at the low voltage battery specs.
The benefit to using 48v architecture in the redesigned Y would be to get to economies of scale on all the electrical components currently being produced for the cybertruck. By adding the new architecture to the Y would immediately lower costs for both the Y and the Cybertruck. Tesla engineered the switch as part of the Cybertruck development and the architecture will now be rolled out as quickly as possible.

Many many years.. they have to trickle down to the S & X architecture first.
I don't agree. They need to get to large scale production of the new components. Using this architecture in the Y will reduce cost for Y and reduce component costs. Now that they have completed the engineering they will be able to implement the architecture fairly easily when they redesign existing models and build new models.

By adding the new architecture to the Y would immediately lower costs for both the Y and the Cybertruck.

I suspect this is incorrect. Changing to 48v will likely increase the cost of the Model Y.

The Catch-22 is that while 48v simplifies things and can reduce costs in the long run, 12v components are ubiquitous in the auto industry and so are guaranteed to be cheaper at this time.

The reason Elon sent the CyberTruck's 48v schematics to all other auto manufacturers was to get the ball rolling. If everyone switches to 48v at once, the economies of scale will happen sooner.

The benefit to using 48v architecture in the redesigned Y would be to get to economies of scale on all the electrical components currently being produced for the cybertruck. By adding the new architecture to the Y would immediately lower costs for both the Y and the Cybertruck. Tesla engineered the switch as part of the Cybertruck development and the architecture will now be rolled out as quickly as possible.
Part of why the Y is less expensive and more profitable is because of all the shared components with the 3. If they move the Y to 48V and not the 3 at the same time, they lose that economies of scale for all the components. And they have just redesigned a bunch of electrical stuff for the Highland, they’re not going to ditch all of that and completely start over in just a year.

Reactions: dloomis
Now that the Cybertruck is shipping I’m curious when the 48v low voltage system will be incorporated into the Model Y. Are we talking months (Juniper?) or years?
Why do people always ask questions like this here? No one here knows, only Tesla knows. You might as well ask when will FSD be feature complete or when are you going to win the lottery. lol

Why do people always ask questions like this here? No one here knows, only Tesla knows.

I resist this negativity, and strongly disagree.

I’m curious when the 48v low voltage system will be incorporated into the Model Y.

I've got this on my calendar for August 4th of this year. If I finish FSD early, it's possible it *might* be a little sooner, but definitely no later than August 4th. This is a promise.

Why do people always ask questions like this here? No one here knows, only Tesla knows. You might as well ask when will FSD be feature complete or when are you going to win the lottery. lol
It’s a valid question for car geeks. But While 48v is awesome from an engineering perspective, it doesn’t affect user experience.

When parts supplies price stabilizes it does affect cost, which most buyers car about.

Also, for some 3rd party accessories it matters
12V parts are everywhere and plentiful and therefore already price stabilized. 48V parts aren’t going to be cheaper than 12V.

Even if 48V components were the same price, the money saved is just in the cost of thinner gauge wiring. Which 12V wiring is pretty thin already for most automotive components. It’s only a significant savings when you’re talking at scale company wide for millions of cars. Per car savings is insignificant.

What 48V accessories are we talking about here? So far none exist that I know of.