Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we actually get the "summer" superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By now I've learned that Tesla's calendar is not the same one the rest of us follow. We were supposed to get another 11 superchargers in the "summer," which ends in about 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not sure of the exact count, but at this point we seem to be a long way from that goal. As I'm making a trip to North Carolina the last week of August, I'm would be especially interested to learn that the Richmond area supercharger is up and running before the summer ends. Are we going to see a mad rush of new superchargers over the next 15 days or so?

By now I've learned that Tesla's calendar is not the same one the rest of us follow. We were supposed to get another 11 superchargers in the "summer," which ends in about 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not sure of the exact count, but at this point we seem to be a long way from that goal. As I'm making a trip to North Carolina the last week of August, I'm would be especially interested to learn that the Richmond area supercharger is up and running before the summer ends. Are we going to see a mad rush of new superchargers over the next 15 days or so?

One could only hope. I am also planning a NC trip around Thanksgiving (from Florida) but based on current progress, am not optimistic. Seems there are usually unexpected delays in the permitting process.

Summer ends on Saturday, September 21st. As of today, summer is only 54% complete. I think they have added 8 superchargers so far and 11 are left. This places Tesla at 8 of 19 summer Superchargers complete(42%). It seem that the summer Supercharger roll out is on track.

For some reason, I thought there was some commitment back at the end of May saying some number of new SCs would be open within the next month, and if that was June that goal was missed. Haven't heard an update on that (volkerize didn't help).
And I am afraid I share artsci's concern about the VA SC - nobody even seems to have a clue (from permitting or scouting reports) on where that might even be.

Summer ends on Saturday, September 21st. As of today, summer is only 54% complete. I think they have added 8 superchargers so far and 11 are left. This places Tesla at 8 of 19 summer Superchargers complete(42%). It seem that the summer Supercharger roll out is on track.

Technically, yes. But I think when most folks hear summer, they think June, July, August. September is back to school time and not generally considered summer. Granted, we have to give Tesla a lot of leeway here since Winter became Spring with the Design Studio.

Currently there are 16 supercharger stations in operation, not the 24 promised for the end of June (or end of July if you want to cut them some slack). AFAIK there was no discussion of this on the earnings call. The only statement I could find in the 10Q filed yesterday was this:

At the end of May 2013, we announced the significant expansion of our Supercharger network as well as upcoming Supercharging technology that will reduce charging time at our Superchargers. Since the time of our announcement, we have been installing Superchargers at an accelerating pace. We may experience difficulties in finding suitable sites, negotiating leases or obtaining required permits for such locations, and our planned expansion of such Superchargers could be delayed or stalled.

The Supercharger page says there will be 27 by Summer 2013 (ends Sept. 21) and shows 54 new locations being added during Fall 2013 (end Dec. 21) for a total of 81.

I concerned as well. I summer in Ptown and I'm traveling to NY end of August. I like all the rest of us would love to see more superchargers especially in the East.

I have only driven my new Model S for 700 miles. How do you tell how far you can really go. I'm timid about range. Milford Ct is 228 miles from Ptown. Fully charged my range is listed at 305. My average energy on trip A & B since I took delivery is 301 on right side. However 1/2 of the mileage is under 50.

By now I've learned that Tesla's calendar is not the same one the rest of us follow.
We've had this discussion of Tesla seasonal terminology before.

If you add 2 seasons to anything they say, you're less often disappointed. For example, when they say Winter it's a safe bet that you won't see any snow when the feature/product arrives.

I have used the Delaware supercharger once and plan on using it again next weekend. I love it, it is in a great location. However, I am very disappointed in the supercharger rollout. I understand that it is not easy for the build out and getting permits, etc. But I expect they should have known this before making promises about when the superchargers would be available. I would rather them let us know ahead of time that it would take 5 years before having full US coverage (which is the way it looks at this speed) rather than 2 years if it was accurate. I personally am waiting for the richmond and NJ superchargers to come live. Hopefully soon, but 'summer' means something very different to Tesla than to me. Especially after upgrading my 40 to a 60 mostly for the supercharger access.

We actually had planned a trip to NC this weekend with our Model S hoping the Richmond Supercharger would be operational. We decided earlier this week to take one of our other cars to make the trip quicker than to stay overnight and charge. These are some of the bumps in the road for Tesla as they get up to speed. I am now also guessing that our December trip to FL will have to be in one of our other cars as I do not see them putting up Superchargers in Richmond VA, NC, SC, GA and Northern FL as quick as they had hoped....oh well...at least the stock is doing so well that I can pay for the gas with my profits.

I cant wait either. I have my yearly road trip to Dalls Tx from Milwaukee, Wi. I have it planned out fairly well so far, Milwaukee to Normal Illinois (Cutting it close, 211 miles on my MS60 is close, will need to drive slow), from Normal's Supercharger to St. Louis, where I will need to spend 5 hrs on a level 2 charger, I need to get over to Oklahoma, where their is a Chargepoint level 2, however, the distance is just over 300 miles, and cant find a single level 2 in between, and definitely cannot do that reasonably on a 120v outlet. Oklahoma to Dalls is easy, less then 200 miles, where I have a nice NEMA 14-50 waiting for me in my Aunt & Uncle's car port :)

For how big Oklahoma is though, I'm surprised to have found a single level 2. I am now scoping out Nissan Dealerships in route to maybe plug in long enough to get to the next location.

I cant wait either. I have my yearly road trip to Dalls Tx from Milwaukee, Wi. I have it planned out fairly well so far, Milwaukee to Normal Illinois (Cutting it close, 211 miles on my MS60 is close, will need to drive slow), from Normal's Supercharger to St. Louis, where I will need to spend 5 hrs on a level 2 charger, I need to get over to Oklahoma, where their is a Chargepoint level 2, however, the distance is just over 300 miles, and cant find a single level 2 in between, and definitely cannot do that reasonably on a 120v outlet. Oklahoma to Dalls is easy, less then 200 miles, where I have a nice NEMA 14-50 waiting for me in my Aunt & Uncle's car port :)

For how big Oklahoma is though, I'm surprised to have found a single level 2. I am now scoping out Nissan Dealerships in route to maybe plug in long enough to get to the next location.

For your consideration:
Jerry in Dallas area went to and from Nebraska--Dallas.
He scoped out and located RV parks that had viable 240 V 50 A outlets, saved a bunch of time charging.
Until the (planned) SC network is virtually complete and in-place/operable, you may need to do a bit of prior leg-work and calling/planning to confirm available charging, then map your re-planned trip accordingly.
The most direct path may not be the quickest, the path with the MOST available power may instead be the quickest (and surest).

Get AllStays Camp & RV: the app shows plenty of RV parks in OK with 50A plug-ins.

They seem to be making good progress even if they are behind their stated schedule. Is there any other inter-city fast charging network being built out that we can compare the speed of the rollout to? CHAdeMO is all within city limits for the most part except part of the Pacific Northwest I believe.

They seem to be making good progress even if they are behind their stated schedule. Is there any other inter-city fast charging network being built out that we can compare the speed of the rollout to? CHAdeMO is all within city limits for the most part except part of the Pacific Northwest I believe.

I don't think that's any where near an even comparison. Sure, tesla is first for the most part. They also publicly posted timeframes. You can't just go "well no one else is doing it, so no biggie!"