Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we actually get the "summer" superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually their Canada map now has a Supercharger in London as well, so it covers all of southern Ontario. But I agree, considering that Canada has roughly the population of California, at some point, it would be nice to see more Superchargers - and unlike the US, there is really only one strip across the whole country to cover (with a few exceptions like going up to Edmonton).

And just like this the question has become moot. There is no "Summer 2013" map anymore.
Woodburn, OR has been added to the "Today" map and "Summer 2013" is gone.
Funnily enough, the missing Summer 2013 Superchargers show up in the "Fall 2013" map in red instead of gray (which all the other "new" Superchargers are in).
So there are (if I'm counting correctly) ten new red dots and fifty-two (!!52!!) new gray dots - so 62 Superchargers by the end of "fall" (which I guess means by Christmas).
Wow, Tesla. Just WOW.

Last edited:
Presumably construction has at least begun on most of those locations. And with Tesla using local contractors instead of their own employees, most of the work should be able to be done concurrently nationwide. I wouldn't be surprised if we reach a point where huge clumps start coming online at once. When exactly that will be, however...

Presumably construction has at least begun on most of those locations. And with Tesla using local contractors instead of their own employees, most of the work should be able to be done concurrently nationwide. I wouldn't be surprised if we reach a point where huge clumps start coming online at once. When exactly that will be, however...

From what I understand, the same group of Contractors are currently building Bellmead (Waco) and Columbus in Texas.
Once those two are completed, they will then move on to Corsicana and Hunstville (which both already have permits) to build those SC.

Your observation about them being local Contractors might be a bit off: I think the Contractors built the first couple in FL, then came to build the ones in Texas.
They will be completed and gone soon, Texas won't see much more (announced/projected) work for quite a while.

Your other point is probably spot-on: Lots of work will be occurring simultaneously in different areas, and whole clumps of SC will be coming on-line.
There are 13 Weeks for each Season, and then look at the number of gray dots on the TM Map.
I hope they have acquired most of the Equipment (Transformers, EVSE Units and stalls) that will be required to complete each of them.
Right now almost one SC per week is being OPENED (AND don't overlook Norway opened SIX on one day).
Shortly it must be in the realm of two to three or four SC Openings a Week just to keep pace (or ahead) with the projected schedule.

Lots to Celebrate!
Cheers!

The Washington / Oregon Superchargers have all three been built by the same crew.

According to their map, Tesla never had much of a Supercharger plan for Canada anyway. They just cover the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor in the east. Out west they go from Vancouver to Calgary then just....stop.

Yeah. Canada is a large land mass with relatively sparse populations though most of it. Having said that (and being Southern Ontario biased :smile:), I would still like to see some sign of life along the Windsor to Montreal corridor.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually their Canada map now has a Supercharger in London as well...

It's on the map, but as far as I (and my spies in the area) know, nothing has even started in terms of siting or construction. Same for the Cornwall/Kingston sites.

Just throwing this out there:

There is a proposed site in OH very near the intersection of I-76 and I-80. This is also very close to Lordstown, OH, which is the site of a massive GM plant where they make the Chevy Cruze. This plant's parking lot features a very prominent set of solar arrays forming a canopy over maybe a dozen or so charge stations, likely Level II chargers for employee-owned Chevy Volts. It looks for all the world like a Supercharger station. Back in June, there were some rumors afoot that GM was going to license some Tesla drivetrain technology, and I wondered at the time if this plant might actually become the SC location. Other less-friendly GM news has surfaced since then, perhaps making this unlikely. But I will note that when I drove past this site over Labor Day, there were orange construction barrels surrounding a couple consecutive charge bays...could it possibly be SC construction underway?

Thanks for the survey and report.

Any chance you might have taken (or would be able to go back and take) some pics of the work going on and location?
It seems a little pre-emptive to start this location prior to "Winter 2013", but this "Grey Dot" looks to be a key part of the EAST/WEST connection for the end of the year.

####Looking at the TM Map a bit longer, it just struck me:
You can't get from NYC to Chicago in the Fall 2013 Map version, UNLESS YOU GO THROUGH CANADA and use their three new SC Stations.
So unless you really prepared (and carry your passports with you), your trip would have you cross the border.
With the I-76 and I-80 junction in OH location probably confirmed, there will also probably be another location in OH on I-80 near Perrysburg/Toledo and a location in PA, near Somerset or Bedford.
And those would be due to be completed in the FALL 2013 category, not the Winter 2013.
Just my speculation from far away Texas, but it makes sense to me.

The end result: ANY and ALL SCs are good, no matter what order they get completed.

Last edited:
This story posted this morning: http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/05/elon-musk-cross-country-tesla-trip/

No mention of travel dates (security might be a concern) but comparing that plan with the current map of Superchargers--- even stretching the timeline slider out-- is head scratching. Unless. UNLESS-- there is a big rollout of locations coming. What better way to inaugurate a cross-country network of chargers than to have your charismatic CEO whooshing from ribbon-cutting to ribbon-cutting?!

Or he could just be making plans for a 2015 roadtrip. Less impressive, that.

Thanks for the survey and report.

Any chance you might have taken (or would be able to go back and take) some pics of the work going on and location?
It seems a little pre-emptive to start this location prior to "Winter 2013", but this "Grey Dot" looks to be a key part of the EAST/WEST connection for the end of the year.

####Looking at the TM Map a bit longer, it just struck me:
You can't get from NYC to Chicago in the Fall 2013 Map version, UNLESS YOU GO THROUGH CANADA and use their three new SC Stations.
So unless you really prepared (and carry your passports with you), your trip would have you cross the border.
With the I-76 and I-80 junction in OH location probably confirmed, there will also probably be another location in OH on I-80 near Perrysburg/Toledo and a location in PA, near Somerset or Bedford.
And those would be due to be completed in the FALL 2013 category, not the Winter 2013.
Just my speculation from far away Texas, but it makes sense to me.

The end result: ANY and ALL SCs are good, no matter what order they get completed.

This was my speculation exactly, that by completing the PA/Bedford and two OH locations (Lordstown and Toledo), you actually will be able to get to Chicago and beyond to LA, without having to venture into Canada. You might need a brief stop at one of the Michigan sites also, as the Toledo to Chicago distance is a bit of a stretch, but this depends on where the SCs are actually located. But this eliminates a border crossing and needless dependency on a number of Canadian SCs (no offense intended to our intrepid Canadian TMC-ers, of course!).

Based on this fact, I was beginning to hope that we might see the PA and OH sites before year-end, even though they are currently listed as Winter 2013.

With Elon discussing a personal LA to NY trip on Twitter, it only makes me even more hopeful!

On the other hand, he may be envisioning a southern route through Texas, for all we know.

This story posted this morning: http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/05/elon-musk-cross-country-tesla-trip/

No mention of travel dates (security might be a concern) but comparing that plan with the current map of Superchargers--- even stretching the timeline slider out-- is head scratching. Unless. UNLESS-- there is a big rollout of locations coming. What better way to inaugurate a cross-country network of chargers than to have your charismatic CEO whooshing from ribbon-cutting to ribbon-cutting?!

Or he could just be making plans for a 2015 roadtrip. Less impressive, that.

Lets see, 3200 miles, 9 hrs charging for 356 mph. That works out pretty close to the 120Kw theoretical max given about 335 wh/mi driving average which I would expect given a loaded car. Now, I'm sure the plan is for 120KW chargers along the route but I seriously doubt he will see that based on ramp off at higher SOCs. Same old optimistic Elon. But, even if its more like 12 hrs charge time, that's still pretty awesome.

There is nothing that spurs the troops on more than the CEO doing something like this.

Based on this fact, I was beginning to hope that we might see the PA and OH sites before year-end, even though they are currently listed as Winter 2013.

With Elon discussing a personal LA to NY trip on Twitter, it only makes me even more hopeful!

On the other hand, he may be envisioning a southern route through Texas, for all we know.

LOL
I keep looking at the TM Map projections and Texas does get decent coverage during Fall 2013, and then...
Texas and its FIVE SC stations remains intact and isolated (like a bad kid in the corner) until Spring 2014 or later in 2014.
It would take a MAJOR shift and re-alignment of SC stations for Elon and his brood to make his LA to NYC trip through Texas (but stranger things have happened).

Your proposed (Alternate) Southern Passage Winter weather would be a LOT better than UT, CO, WY, SD, MN, WI, IL, etc. Winter weather.
(BTW: NFL is playing the Super Bowl in NJ's new non-domed stadium, right across from NYC in Feb., so I guess we'll see how the weather impacts us all.)

LOL
I keep looking at the TM Map projections and Texas does get decent coverage during Fall 2013, and then...
Texas and its FIVE SC stations remains intact and isolated (like a bad kid in the corner) until Spring 2014 or later in 2014.
It would take a MAJOR shift and re-alignment of SC stations for Elon and his brood to make his LA to NYC trip through Texas (but stranger things have happened).

Your proposed (Alternate) Southern Passage Winter weather would be a LOT better than UT, CO, WY, SD, MN, WI, IL, etc. Winter weather.
(BTW: NFL is playing the Super Bowl in NJ's new non-domed stadium, right across from NYC in Feb., so I guess we'll see how the weather impacts us all.)

A southern route would mean that Elon wouldn't be able to visit his brother in Boulder for Christmas. I believe he would also like to prove it can be done in winter weather just to make a point to the skeptics.

How many were in the original timeline? 18, wasn't it?
Using the very sophisticated method of "staring at the Today and Fall map and looking for dots that pop up in red" it seems like we are still missing two of the California Summer superchargers, one in Colorado, one in Texas, one in Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. Also, the dot near New York seems to turn into three.
So I'd say there are about 9 superchargers unaccounted for?
Please correct me if I'm misreading the map somewhere - it's a wee bit low resolution.

Using the very sophisticated method of "staring at the Today and Fall map and looking for dots that pop up in red" it seems like we are still missing two of the California Summer superchargers, one in Colorado, one in Texas, one in Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. Also, the dot near New York seems to turn into three.
Please correct me if I'm misreading the map somewhere - it's a wee bit low resolution.

Construction will apparently begin soon in Corsicana, Texas. In California, both the Oxnard and San Juan Capistrano sites are apparently having permitting issues. There is news of revisions to the permit application in Oxnard but I don't think there has been any news about San Juan Capistrano for quite a while.

Looks like CT jumps from 2 to 4 dots, three of which are quite close together. First dot is Milford. The question is if there's only one dot for both Darien locations--that's probably the case. Speculation, then, is that the other two locations are a northbound and southbound rest stop under construction on the Merritt.