Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get Park Assist on Model S with HW4 and no USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised and curious as to why? I don't have USS and vision only parking is very conservative IME. When it says stop, I get out and look, and have lots of room left every time. In fact, if you use auto park to back into a supercharger, the cable reaches - but barely, and there's more than a foot of space left to back in. When it says stop due to an obstacle in front, it's even further off than backing in IME.
I agree that USS-based park assist is better when you need an accurate measurement of distance to objects in front of the car. I tend to back into spaces and the rear camera gives me all the information I need to assess distance. I like TV-based visualizations for seeing curbs on the side and for centering up the car between lines in parking lots.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I agree that USS-based park assist is better when you need an accurate measurement of distance to objects in front of the car. I tend to back into spaces and the rear camera gives me all the information I need to assess distance. I like TV-based visualizations for seeing curbs on the side and for centering up the car between lines in parking lots.
That's the thing. The rear camera does indeed give you enough information because... cameras! The front does not, because Tesla is stubborn and won't give our cars a much-needed bumper camera. That means USS is a lifesaver here, and Tesla Vision isn't accurate enough. Here's a couple of images using Tesla Vision just to let me know how much closer to the parking line I could get. The in-car graphic shows my bumper just touching the line, whereas in reality...

This level of accuracy simply isn't good enough.

Now obviously USS doesn't help here with painted lines, but it's the same thing near a wall etc. You don't really know like you do with USS. The best solution would be using both methods concurrently, but... Tesla gonna Tesla.

1714584233206.jpeg

1714584244203.jpeg

That's the thing. The rear camera does indeed give you enough information because... cameras! The front does not, because Tesla is stubborn and won't give our cars a much-needed bumper camera. That means USS is a lifesaver here, and Tesla Vision isn't accurate enough. Here's a couple of images using Tesla Vision just to let me know how much closer to the parking line I could get. The in-car graphic shows my bumper just touching the line, whereas in reality...

This level of accuracy simply isn't good enough.

Now obviously USS doesn't help here with painted lines, but it's the same thing near a wall etc. You don't really know like you do with USS. The best solution would be using both methods concurrently, but... Tesla gonna Tesla.

View attachment 1043461

View attachment 1043462
That's almost perfect.

Exactly. And downvoted, too. Honestly, I can't even understand the thought process here...
It's erring on the side of caution and you are perfectly parked. If this is consistent, it's more accurate than I have with my USS in a similar situation.

Again, this isn't egregious as you portray, you are perfectly parked following the visualization. There are many instances with USS or older vision parking where people were 3 feet behind the object with the STOP warning.

It's erring on the side of caution and you are perfectly parked. If this is consistent, it's more accurate than I have with my USS in a similar situation.

Again, this isn't egregious as you portray, you are perfectly parked following the visualization. There are many instances with USS or older vision parking where people were 3 feet behind the object with the STOP warning.
You're 100% missing the point, and I'm not sure if you're doing it to be difficult, or if you're simply misunderstanding. I'm perfectly parked because I PERSONALLY knew where to stop. If I had stopped, say, - a foot before the white line, - using Tesla Vision, I'd be more than 2 feet before the line. I'm not interested in erring on the side of caution. I'm interested in ACCURACY because accuracy is far more important as an end user.

The visualization is INCORRECT. It's that simple. Tesla Vision shows my front bumper just over the line. In reality, I'm over a foot back from where it shows me, as my pictures CLEARLY show. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion at this point.

I can’t wait for some curb sensors. You know, modern day curb feelers! Just imagine some ultrasonics at the sides of the car that tells you how many inches you are from the curb… would love that. Or some cameras for Tesla vision. I really didn’t believe the guy that said Teslas are very curbable until I did it myself!