Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where’s a good place for WiFi hotspot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
Planning on adding a WiFi hotspot to my car to stream dash cam video to the cloud.

Where have people located these? Would like it to not be visible, Have decent 4G reception and 12V power. I can use extra antennas if needed, but don’t want to mount them externally.

Thanks!

So far, it’s been working in the center console.

Set it to operate with no lights so it’s pretty inconspicuous.

Charges from the cigarette lighter plug when the car is on. Has enough battery to operate all night without car power

Still looking for a more hidden spot.

Do you need 12 VDC or would 5 work? You could use a 90 degree USB plug and run it under the console rubber pad (like the phone cord) and hide it there... I used the 90 degree USB to run a lightning extension out the back and up to a ProClip mount for my iPhone, but the same could be done to hide a hotspot (and I'm thinking of doing the same thing now!) in the console back.

I've got one from FreedomPop waiting for when I decide to put a DashCam in (and that project is waiting for newer models to come out from Thinkware).

You are right about the 5V. My access point uses a USB plug and removable “brick” so either 5V or 12V would work.

Mine was dropping the 4G signal from inside the closed part of the center console. That’s why I left it more exposed

I’m curious about the iPad. I used one at work as an access point and I had to reset it every few days - is yours stable? How long will it maintain the connection without you having to do something?

Mine is iPad hidden between the driver's seat and cupholders, just beside the seatbelt lock.
If you have not already done so, I encourage you to rename your iPad to something like Honda, or BMW and restart it. Make the name a decoy away from your car. You don't want to give anyone near your car the hint that you might have an ipad or hotspot in your car. Best to point them away from your car by leading them to believe its inside another car.

Do you need 12 VDC or would 5 work? You could use a 90 degree USB plug and run it under the console rubber pad (like the phone cord) and hide it there... I used the 90 degree USB to run a lightning extension out the back and up to a ProClip mount for my iPhone, but the same could be done to hide a hotspot (and I'm thinking of doing the same thing now!) in the console back.

I've got one from FreedomPop waiting for when I decide to put a DashCam in (and that project is waiting for newer models to come out from Thinkware).

I am hiding my Freedompop (Franklin) hotspot in my covered console. I already was powering my front mounted rear camera kit’s PCB switch from my OBD II port. So, I needed to add more power. I used an OBD II Y splitter (one male/two female plugs).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJAMBI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I plugged this 12V to 5V USB pigtail into the splitter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H38IIY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s one with an on/off switch. For me, this would not have worked' because my plug is hidden above the lower dash panel, and I could not reach the button. But if you are plugging directly into your OBD II, you could put your hand down, and switch power on and off as needed. Only $1 more for the button feature.
https://www.amazon.com/Camera-Charg...icro+USB+Power+Adapter+-+16Pin+OBD2+Connector

I connected it to my OBD II port and tested the connection to the hotspot. Next, I removed the battery from my Franklin and plugged the cable's mini-C in. Now it powers and stays active in the S even when the car is off and there is no battery to overcharge or get too hot.

The pigtail has enough length that I dropped the plastic panel surrounding the car's OBD II plug. I threaded the new cable across the driver side and to the upper curved corner of the console. The sides of the console pop off if you use a trim panel removal tool to get started. You can pop it off about halfway down the side towards the rear. Remove all the stuff you currently have in the console and move your hand up to the far left lower corner inside the console.

Feel around and you will find two square holes. The left one comes out the front of the console just below the back of the cubby. I used a flexible fish rod and poked until I came out the front of the console. I had to watch the front with a flashlight before I saw the fish exit the front of the console. The fish is flexible enough to let me route it up and out the side. I used electrical tape and taped the 90 degree angle of the mini-C to the fish. I pulled back though. It took some time and some twisting but in the blind, I could not see what was happening, but I finally got the corner, then the rest of the mini-C pulled through the hole and inside the console.

It may have been easier to take a foot or so from the end of the cable and tape it to the fish and use just the wire of the cable to clear the hole. Then slowly pull the cable end with the mini-C through the hole.

I pulled about two feet inside and used the flat rubber mat of the console to hide the extra cable. Snapped the console side panel back on and now, I have full time power inside the console for the hotspot without the battery in it.I thought you might like to know the hotspot should operate without a battery plugged into a persistent 12V on the car.

I wasn't thinking that I was going to be successful in getting the cable/wire through outside into the console else, I would have taken pictures. So I am saying, sorry - no pictures.

If you have not already done so, I encourage you to rename your iPad to something like Honda, or BMW and restart it. Make the name a decoy away from your car. You don't want to give anyone near your car the hint that you might have an ipad or hotspot in your car. Best to point them away from your car by leading them to believe its inside another car.
Or even don’t broadcast SSID.

Reactions: Akikiki