Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where and where not to apply wax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
Just bought some wax for the car and wanted to make sure I don’t mess up anything

Is it safe to wax over the side pillar cameras? Any potential camera is blocked warnings if I do this?

Can I wax the glass roof? Or could it discolor it

What about the black trim could wax damage or discolor it in any way?

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude
I apply wax to paintwork, alloys, chrome trim.
I have zero product on any of the glass and get excellent visibility, no streaking/juddering wipers etc I really think those glass products are a con and can make things worse. I don't want water beading on my glass, much prefer sheeting.
Why do you want to wax the glass areas?
Couldn't tell you about the black trim, sorry.

I have been advised to tape off the black trim as it’s not very shiny and the wax will give it too much of a gloss. I would be very cautious of putting any product over the glass where there is a camera. Tesla has a bad reputation of finding reasons to deny warranty claims - don’t give them an excuse and given how the cameras are a serious safety feature of the car, I plan to keep any products well away from them.

If you want to give the glass roof and areas without a camera some gloss or beading I think that would be ok.

I have been advised to tape off the black trim as it’s not very shiny and the wax will give it too much of a gloss. I would be very cautious of putting any product over the glass where there is a camera. Tesla has a bad reputation of finding reasons to deny warranty claims - don’t give them an excuse and given how the cameras are a serious safety feature of the car, I plan to keep any products well away from them.

If you want to give the glass roof and areas without a camera some gloss or beading I think that would be ok.
I don’t mind if the if makes the black trim glossy I would rather it be protected than not but I don’t want to damage it in anyway if it does

There is another post that notes problems with the front window and coatings. The manual states: To add a hydrophobic coating to your vehicle's windows, apply the coating only to the side and rear windows, not the front windshield—doing so may affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras. Follow the hydrophobic coating manufacturer’s instructions for application details.

I would think that applies to all of the cameras.

There is another post that notes problems with the front window and coatings. The manual states: To add a hydrophobic coating to your vehicle's windows, apply the coating only to the side and rear windows, not the front windshield—doing so may affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras. Follow the hydrophobic coating manufacturer’s instructions for application details.

I would think that applies to all of the cameras.
Glass roof is fine to do then?

I opted for a ceramic coat.
PXL_20230820_113508214~2.jpg

IMO, you can use wax on glass. Just make sure to buff it off completely so that no residue is left behind.

As for putting wax on black trim, it really depends on the specific wax you are using. I suggest you check with the manufacturer and see if they approve applying your particular wax on black trim or not. Many years ago, I used to use Collinite 845 and 915 carnauba waxes. The Collinite website said to specifically avoid putting wax on the black trim as the wax can stain the black trim white.

It takes extra time and effort to tape off the black trim, and this is one of the reasons I stopped using waxes. I now prefer ceramic spray sealants and ceramic coatings. You can use ceramic spray sealants on all exterior surfaces, including black trim. Not only will ceramic spray sealants not stain black trim, it will protect trim and help keep it looking black longer.

As for the windshield, I have used Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray on the windshield and it works great. Not only does it clean the glass well, it leaves behind hydrophobic protection. Once I am going above 40mph, the water droplets glide off the windshield and I often do not have to use my wipers.

self-serve car wash and spray on wax.

What are your thoughts on these?
You don't know what products and chemicals they have in them, they can be overly harsh/cheap.
My chrome trim has been permanently discoloured from the PH being either too alkaline or acid.
Apologies I understand you're just going to them for the last step. Should be ok but probably cheap and not that long lasting.

Just bought some wax for the car and wanted to make sure I don’t mess up anything

Is it safe to wax over the side pillar cameras? Any potential camera is blocked warnings if I do this?

Can I wax the glass roof? Or could it discolor it

What about the black trim could wax damage or discolor it in any way?
Black trim will discolor if the PH level in your product is too high. For most wax this probably isn’t really an issue or concern but something to be aware of.

I moved to ceramic coating from wax. Never looked back. Much better protection, performance and duration.
I can agree on duration.
Depends how you define performance.
But protection from what? There was an FAQ on a ceramic website that explained -
"As a side note on this: ceramic or any other type of paint coating, no matter how much their marketing claims tell you otherwise, cannot offer any meaningful protection against stone chipping as in order to absorb the impact of a pebble travelling at triple digit speeds, you need to have a relatively thick and relatively soft membrane."