Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where and where not to apply wax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved to ceramic coating from wax. Never looked back. Much better protection, performance and duration.
I have some ceramic but was worried I would mess up the application so I got a ceramic wax instead it’s supposed to be more forgiving

It lasts 18 months though instead of 3-5 years

Last edited:
I can agree on duration.
Depends how you define performance.
But protection from what? There was an FAQ on a ceramic website that explained -
"As a side note on this: ceramic or any other type of paint coating, no matter how much their marketing claims tell you otherwise, cannot offer any meaningful protection against stone chipping as in order to absorb the impact of a pebble travelling at triple digit speeds, you need to have a relatively thick and relatively soft membrane."
This is the same for wax though. Wax isn’t preventing stone chipping either.

I can agree on duration.
But protection from what? There was an FAQ on a ceramic website that explained -
"As a side note on this: ceramic or any other type of paint coating, no matter how much their marketing claims tell you otherwise, cannot offer any meaningful protection against stone chipping as in order to absorb the impact of a pebble travelling at triple digit speeds, you need to have a relatively thick and relatively soft membrane."

The only paint protection product on the market that offers any meaningful protection from rock chips is PPF. It's not 100% effective, but it definitely helps and the self-healing properties of PPF are pretty amazing.

That said, ceramic coatings do offer more protection compared to waxes and sealants from road salts, bird poop, and other harsh chemicals that may land on your paint. Also, high pH soaps, such as those that you often find in touchless car washes, will deteriorate or even strip waxes and sealants, but won't erode a high quality ceramic coating. Finally, some carnauba waxes deteriorate in higher temperatures. For those of us who live in hot environments, carnauba waxes will have an even shorter duration.

That said, ceramic coatings do offer more protection compared to waxes and sealants from road salts, bird poop, and other harsh chemicals that may land on your paint.
I'm interested in this claim. I don't have issues with road salts and bird poo on my car but I haven't done a side-by-side scientific comparison wax/ceramic either.
I've read posts online about bird poo literally eating through the ceramic coating and leaving a mark which (assuming you've had it professionally done) you can't just buff out. I presume it would eat through wax in the same way but I can quickly and easily top that up.
I think I'm just a bit sceptical of the claims. I do believe it lasts longer if properly done but other than that I think it's doing the same job as wax, in fact there seems to be consensus the wet-look shine is better from wax.

Adams tire and wheel cleaner. I finish with a tire dressing that is a matte finish, forget the name the place is in New Jersey, I buy online.
I mean what tool, some kind of tire brush or just a regular wash mitt

I was thinking if I used a brush it could scratch the rims, but if i use a mitt and dirt gets in the mitt from cleaning the tires then that could scratch the rims too

Last edited:
I found this video informative for wax, sprays, ceramic comparison. Ignore the click bait title, it is comprehensive and thorough.

This is the follow up torture test.

I am familiar with that Youtube detailing expert Jimbo. He has done some very helpful and informative videos. Many of his videos focus on doing a "torture test" of applying various chemicals to the paint. These tests do a good job of evaluating the chemical resistance properties of waxes, sealants, and coatings.

My favorite Youtube detailer who tests detailing products is ScottHD. He has numerous videos in which he applies waxes, sealants, and coatings to car hoods. He then leaves the hoods outside in the Texas weather and once a month he washes the hood and then tests if the product has failed or not. He is very meticulous and is proud of not accepting any payments from car detailing product companies. You have to be careful when watching Youtube detailing videos, as many of these reviewers accept payments from product manufacturers. ScottHD is definitely not one of them.

Here is an example of one of his videos. I also included a link to ScottHD's Excel spreadsheet that shows the various tests he has done, all the products tested in each test, and the number of days each product lasted until it failed:

• Helpful
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I can agree on duration.
Not stone chips. The key protection is against road grimes, bird drops, etc. Makes the surface easier to clean off. That makes it less chance to permanently adhere to the surface or have micro marring from heavy washing. It is also supposed to help with UV lights, but that is not why I apply them. Less micro marring means less paint correction I have to do and retains the new car shine longer.

Not stone chips. The key protection is against road grimes, bird drops, etc. Makes the surface easier to clean off. That makes it less chance to permanently adhere to the surface or have micro marring from heavy washing. It is also supposed to help with UV lights, but that is not why I apply them. Less micro marring means less paint correction I have to do and retains the new car shine longer.
I get all of that and that's why I wax my car, I think it offers the same level of protection you describe, properly applied professional ceramic just lasts longer.
I'm not against ceramic btw, I'm quite new to in-depth car cleaning and am interested in all the different types of products and claims and really want to know the facts as some are better than others.
I've settled on Bilt Hamber wax because it lasts a long time (claimed 6 months, I'm 4 months in and it's still good) it's cheap, looks phenomenal, and is very easy to apply/top up.
A recent video I watched made a good point about the push/pull of these products, when you gain in one area you lose in another, there isn't just one miracle product, and I find that interesting to explore and discuss.

I get all of that and that's why I wax my car, I think it offers the same level of protection you describe, properly applied professional ceramic just lasts longer.
I'm not against ceramic btw, I'm quite new to in-depth car cleaning and am interested in all the different types of products and claims and really want to know the facts as some are better than others.
I've settled on Bilt Hamber wax because it lasts a long time (claimed 6 months, I'm 4 months in and it's still good) it's cheap, looks phenomenal, and is very easy to apply/top up.
A recent video I watched made a good point about the push/pull of these products, when you gain in one area you lose in another, there isn't just one miracle product, and I find that interesting to explore and discuss.
Wax does a similar job. Although I think the ceramic coating repels dirt even better. I haven't done side by side comparison. I just moved on once I used ceramic coating. With wax, you need to apply every few months. I apply ceramic coating once per year.

I would recommend Carpro Cquartz UK3.0 as a beginner first try coating. The buff off time is very lenient. You can leave it on a few min and can still buff off. I have used it in quite a few cars. It only cost $60+ dollar. I used it many times. I moved on to adams graphene ceramic coating now, it has a shorter buff window, but seems to last longer than cquartz. These coatings are really easy to apply, just follow the instructions and prepare the surface properly.

I never recommend doing ceramic coating professionally. They charge you $1000. Most of it is in paint correction. I paint correct myself if I see excessive swirls. Unless you are doing a really neglected used car, you don't really need paint correction.

• Informative
I got the ethos ceramic wax and put it on everything, it’s really good looks great

Even made the windows look better, and it got rid of the micro scratches in my tail lights
These hybrid products have same effects, it just does not last as long as a hand applied coating. I apply coatings to my wind shield too. On rain day, I don't even turn on wiper at high speed. Water just flies off.

These hybrid products have same effects, it just does not last as long as a hand applied coating. I apply coatings to my wind shield too. On rain day, I don't even turn on wiper at high speed. Water just flies off.
Yea I got a 3 year ceramic but was worried I’d mess it up, so I got the 18 month ceramic wax instead, the soap stains I had in the black trim it fixed that too

I've heard really good things about Bill Hamber products. Are you using the Bill Hamber Double Speed Wax? I bet it is a great wax.

In case you are curious, I found the Safety Data Sheet for this wax. If I am reading it correctly, this wax is 30-50% hydrocarbons. I think it is similar in that regard to my favorite wax Collinite 845. These types of carnauba waxes combine carnauba with petroleum distillates to make them more durable. I personally prefer working with water-based waxes and sealants. Also, I have PPF on my Tesla and Xpel said that I should avoid using waxes that contain more than 5% petroleum distillates.

Here is the Bill Hamber Double Speed Wax SDS: https://www.flowmaxx.eu/media/products/SDS_double speed-wax.pdf

I've heard really good things about Bill Hamber products. Are you using the Bill Hamber Double Speed Wax? I bet it is a great wax.

In case you are curious, I found the Safety Data Sheet for this wax. If I am reading it correctly, this wax is 30-50% hydrocarbons. I think it is similar in that regard to my favorite wax Collinite 845. These types of carnauba waxes combine carnauba with petroleum distillates to make them more durable. I personally prefer working with water-based waxes and sealants. Also, I have PPF on my Tesla and Xpel said that I should avoid using waxes that contain more than 5% petroleum distillates.

Here is the Bill Hamber Double Speed Wax SDS: https://www.flowmaxx.eu/media/products/SDS_double speed-wax.pdf
Yes it's the Double Speed. I'm committed to Bilt products, the data and testing behind their products is unquestionable. Check out this video for their latest glass cleaner development.
They've just changed their Touch-Less snow foam to make it more concentrated, I'm told this was in part due to exporting to other countries.
I think they are doing special stuff with their products that make them stand out in like-for-like comparisons. Their shampoo is so concentrated you use 1 teaspoon in a bucket.
I know I probably sound like a shill but I'm not...! They're a really helpful company and I've had many phone and email chats trying to make sense of their extensive lineup.

PXL_20240115_163924632.jpg

The glow in certain light is pure chef's kiss. Don't worry those aren't stone chips you see on the bonnet (although I have plenty of those too...)