Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where could mice be entering the HVAC system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short we caught a mouse in our MX, along with a bunch of fruit loops and other snacks (we have a 2 year old) that started blowing out of the HVAC system. Something appears to be stuck in the HVAC from that mouse and is now having a burnt smell to it. I removed the passenger dash where the scent seemed to be the strongest and found nothing down any of the vents with a boroscope. I left a trap and caught the mouse inside the car. It's been a few weeks now and the trap is still in there and no more mice have been caught so it seems it was just the one (I hope).

Obviously lesson learned about allowing snacks in the car, but I have two questions:
1. Is there a likely spot that whatever is making the burned smell could be? We had Mobile Service come out and change the filter, etc. but the smell is still there. They found some debris from the mouse and removed it but that was the extent of that.
2. Where is the most likely spot that the mouse was getting into the HVAC system at? I would like to inspect that area as it probably left stuff in there I would guess.

Any help is appreciated.

Long story short we caught a mouse in our MX, along with a bunch of fruit loops and other snacks (we have a 2 year old) that started blowing out of the HVAC system. Something appears to be stuck in the HVAC from that mouse and is now having a burnt smell to it. I removed the passenger dash where the scent seemed to be the strongest and found nothing down any of the vents with a boroscope. I left a trap and caught the mouse inside the car. It's been a few weeks now and the trap is still in there and no more mice have been caught so it seems it was just the one (I hope).

Obviously lesson learned about allowing snacks in the car, but I have two questions:
1. Is there a likely spot that whatever is making the burned smell could be? We had Mobile Service come out and change the filter, etc. but the smell is still there. They found some debris from the mouse and removed it but that was the extent of that.
2. Where is the most likely spot that the mouse was getting into the HVAC system at? I would like to inspect that area as it probably left stuff in there I would guess.

Any help is appreciated.
Any update?

Watch some video on the Hansshow Frunk Actuator and/or just start taking the frunk apart, it's pretty straight forward. Once the carpet and plastic liner is out, you can see through the shock tower to the ground, so in short the HVAC area is quite open to just about anything. Even the Biohazard filter isn't exactly the best fitting piece, but I'm betting you'll find what you're looking for once it's all removed.