Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is 2021.4? [2021.4.x Release]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Same trust-level. They always post at the beginning of the week with the comment "Release notes are not yet available". Teslaversion tries to sell some software, "Not a Tesla App" tries to build up a community. So it's really just asking for attention.

Most reliable source is still TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker and there is still no mention of 2021.4 on their twitter https://twitter.com/teslafi

I would wager that the new interface coming to the S/X is the top development priority and has sidelined all the other non-FSD development so they can ship product.

If we're lucky, and I think this is their intention, that new interface will come to all cars around the same time, so presumably no later than the end of this month, which is when they appear to be in position to deliver the first refreshed Model S/X to buyers. I wouldn't expect any noticeable changes until then.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
The initial post here says there was a 2020.4 last year so that person is expecting a 2021.4. That's not how it works. The second number is a week number. They make internal builds all the time, and sometimes a build is good AND they decide to release it. Whatever number they're at is what we get. There's no (public) release schedule...
Yes, so 2021.4 would be expected any day now since they typically release every 4 weeks starting in the 4th week of the year. Sometimes the release comes a week or two later but is still labeled according to the sprint scrum cycle week. All releases for the past 2 years have been divisible by 4.

I would wager that the new interface coming to the S/X is the top development priority and has sidelined all the other non-FSD development so they can ship product.

If we're lucky, and I think this is their intention, that new interface will come to all cars around the same time, so presumably no later than the end of this month, which is when they appear to be in position to deliver the first refreshed Model S/X to buyers. I wouldn't expect any noticeable changes until then.

I agree and I tried to make this point in another thread, but I received a lot of disagrees. I didn't mean to imply that all new Model S/X will need to have FSD, but that the software will be ready for all cars by the time they deliver those, so it would be available for the M3 with FSD as well.

Reactions: serendipitous
@MorrisonHiker , you are basing future expectations on history? Tesla can arrange their iterations in 4 week sprints if they want, they're not forced to release any of them. Maybe they want to finish something that takes 3 sprints before they release anything.
The OP used historical data to make a prediction on the next version number. Of course Tesla can change their sprint cycles and version numbers and they've done this many times in the past.

I really doubt Tesla will wait 3 sprints before releasing anything. They always have something to fix.

Yes, so 2021.4 would be expected any day now since they typically release every 4 weeks starting in the 4th week of the year. Sometimes the release comes a week or two later but is still labeled according to the sprint scrum cycle week. All releases for the past 2 years have been divisible by 4.

Correct.

The initial post here says there was a 2020.4 last year so that person is expecting a 2021.4. That's not how it works. The second number is a week number. They make internal builds all the time, and sometimes a build is good AND they decide to release it. Whatever number they're at is what we get. There's no (public) release schedule...

We know the second number is the week...and as Morrison has pointed out the releases have gone in 4 week patterns for the last 2 years. If theres a release next week, its still gonna be 2021.4 not 2021.6

In the 60 software updates I’ve received, I have gone from an attitude of delighted expectation about exciting new features, to more of a sedate what-did-they-undo-this-time-that-used-to-work-fine mode. Also, I’ve pretty much given up on phantom braking ever getting better let alone going away. Such a downer. Would be nice if the media issues were ameliorated a bit, even just the album art.