Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my car 10 software releases behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model S just downloaded software 2022.8.10.12 last night. I checked and that release is way behind the latest releases. I have my settings on advanced and am connected to wifi every day. The cars software display says my car is up to date but from what I read that just isn’t the case. Checking the Not a Tesla app shows I’m about 10 releases behind. I have read Tesla does their own thing with releases but this just doesn’t seem right.

It's a Model S, yall been hanging behind recently.
But most specifically, when you go to the Software screen, does it say that you are up to date?

If so, then you are not 10 versions behind. You are on the current version for your car.

NEVER assume that your car (or ANY car) will get the current version, that's just not the way it works.

But most specifically, when you go to the Software screen, does it say that you are up to date?

If so, then you are not 10 versions behind. You are on the current version for your car.

NEVER assume that your car (or ANY car) will get the current version, that's just not the way it works.
I went and checked all the releases and yes Im 10 behind. The car says I’m up to date but the releases and software is not near current. I do not have the options released in the past several release notes.

when I purchased FSD the upgraded my hardware
Since you had to get camera upgrades, I suppose you might still be in the same boat even with MCU2.

Was the car delivered with MCU2? If you can share your vehicle specs it should provide more insight.
Yes the car has MCU1, thought it was MCU 2 but it not, but hardware 3, with fsd and premium connectivity. The service people told me I did not require MCU2 as it related to the infotainment and I was okay with that.

I guess MCU1 will prevent me from having many of the options that come with the software updates. As I research many of the release notes do not apply to the model S. I just wonder why all cars are not on the same software or fairly close. The website notateslaapp has everything updates should have. My latest release is not even near but like ewoodrick stated, things just don’t work that way.

Reactions: Falcon73
I have an opposite situation. I'm on an update that almost no one else is on; at 1.9%., while a boatload of cars are getting getting, what seems to be numerically, one update behind me. Sometimes It's hard to figure the whys and what fors of Tesla updates. I'm stil missing a couple of minor features that are listed in the update notes but I'm not bothering Tesla about them.

I have an opposite situation. I'm on an update that almost no one else is on; at 1.9%., while a boatload of cars are getting getting, what seems to be numerically, one update behind me. Sometimes It's hard to figure the whys and what fors of Tesla updates. I'm stil missing a couple of minor features that are listed in the update notes but I'm not bothering Tesla about them.
Don't look at "cars" when comparing, look at your specific model. 1.9%, I believe, is bigger than the Model S and Xs combined.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
I just wonder why all cars are not on the same software or fairly close.
MCU1 is ancient, end of life, and not capable of supporting many of the new features released to the rest of the fleet.

Moving forward you should expect probably 1-2 releases a year, mostly bug fixes or very minor updates. If you want the new stuff and more frequent updates you need to pony up the $1750 for MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I guess MCU1 will prevent me from having many of the options that come with the software updates. As I research many of the release notes do not apply to the model S. I just wonder why all cars are not on the same software or fairly close. The website notateslaapp has everything updates should have. My latest release is not even near but like ewoodrick stated, things just don’t work that way.
Software patches and updates can (and are typically) done in waves or phases, especially when it is a large user base. Many reasons for that; test it out on/in a small user group first, fixing of specific bugs in prior versions, ability to pause the rollout in case of issues, velocity limits (able to rollout x number a day), latest version could break more than it fixes, list goes on. Tesla is just behaving like a typical software development shop, so not too surprising.

Reactions: RedOctober
I don't know if you've seen this, you put in your model and year and it tells you whats typical for your car. I don't know what your car is but I tried a 2017 Model S and the most popular release is still 2022.8.10.12 although it looks like 2023.12.9.1 is rolling out fast now.

Why most of those cars are on an older version is another question, but it helps rule out your car being the issue.

I don't know if you've seen this, you put in your model and year and it tells you whats typical for your car. I don't know what your car is but I tried a 2017 Model S and the most popular release is still 2022.8.10.12 although it looks like 2023.12.9.1 is rolling out fast now.

Why most of those cars are on an older version is another question, but it helps rule out your car being the issue.

Thanks for the information, very helpful. It also appears that MCU1 is an issue. I will wait them out because I have FSD and if it won’t operate with MCU1 they will have to replace it for free.