Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the 360 camera function for parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot find the 360 camera for parking, do I miss something? Or model X does not have it? With so many cameras, I don't see technically impossible. It would be very helpful when parking on road side to prevent any wheel scratching.

Why this function is not there (if so), and why they cannot simply add carplay?

• Funny
Reactions: m5james and glide
I cannot find the 360 camera for parking, do I miss something? Or model X does not have it? With so many cameras, I don't see technically impossible. It would be very helpful when parking on road side to prevent any wheel scratching.

Why this function is not there (if so),
It might be why there are still collisions in summon. I don't think the cameras can see your front tires. Tesla camera design seems to have blind spots to stitch a 360 picture for you.

and why they cannot simply add carplay?

Yes, they can, but who's going to tell them to.

It's a subject of great debate on whether or not the cameras cover enough space to do it. Rumor also has it that the "360 view" technology (in stitching together the views) is patented and Tesla doesn't want to pay more for the license. This has some weight because Tesla dropped Homelink as standard so as to avoid paying the fee which allowed them to produce the "$35,000" car for a short while.

As far as Carplay, Tesla controls the UI and likes it that way. More than likely they will never offer Carplay or AndroidAuto.

It's a subject of great debate on whether or not the cameras cover enough space to do it. Rumor also has it that the "360 view" technology (in stitching together the views) is patented and Tesla doesn't want to pay more for the license. This has some weight because Tesla dropped Homelink as standard so as to avoid paying the fee which allowed them to produce the "$35,000" car for a short while.
Wasn’t the parking stitch based upon the ultrasonic parking sensors, perhaps partially based on the cameras?
As far as Carplay, Tesla controls the UI and likes it that way. More than likely they will never offer Carplay or AndroidAuto.
Agreed. CarPlay overlaps too much with the Tesla U/I, bringing with it an in depth knowledge of energy consumption, nav including charging network. Things that CarPlay would have no knowledge of.

Now what might be possible is the car being an Airplay 2 destination, particularly with the introduction of the rear seat screen. Also Apple Music could be a new media source. But CarPlay will never be included, frankly it is not good enough (and I am an enormous Apple fan).

I’ve always thought that the manufacturers that promote Apple CarPlay or AndroidAuto, simply did not have the chops to create anything better.
Yes, and at some point it became a customer must-have. Until Tesla came along. With the next-gen carplay, you see a lot more companies pushing back on the full integration. The companies that Apple said are on board, don't actually have any vehicles in the pipeline to support it.

The day that Tesla supports CarPlay, is the day that hell freezes over.

Reactions: JBT66 and DCGOO
Yes, and at some point it became a customer must-have. Until Tesla came along. With the next-gen carplay, you see a lot more companies pushing back on the full integration. The companies that Apple said are on board, don't actually have any vehicles in the pipeline to support it.

The day that Tesla supports CarPlay, is the day that hell freezes over.
Tesla will not allow Apple or Google have direct access of User data related from the car. The data is extremely valuable for different monetization aspects down the line. Only companies who don't have inhouse tech/sw capability or wanting to make up quickly any lost ground will offer CarPlay or similar products.

Tesla will not allow Apple or Google have direct access of User data related from the car. The data is extremely valuable for different monetization aspects down the line. Only companies who don't have inhouse tech/sw capability or wanting to make up quickly any lost ground will offer CarPlay or similar products.

Yes, but current gen CarPlay doesn't access the car data, CarPlay support is basically an external display + controller for the phone.

Next gen it definitely access the car data.