Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or maybe test of acceleration and handeling with extra weight (luggage). That would explain the saggy look. The mis-aligned door could be test of body-stability and stiffnes when the car is loaded and the doors are locked by the outer lock only (Cars doors usually have a two-step lock).

Or maybe test of acceleration and handeling with extra weight (luggage). That would explain the saggy look. The mis-aligned door could be test of body-stability and stiffnes when the car is loaded and the doors are locked by the outer lock only (Cars doors usually have a two-step lock).

All possible... but as said before: why not just do it at home?

So, I have to ask....

How long did it take to get the first signature series S delivered after the Model S mule was first spotted?

Tesla handled things a lot differently with the S. They were quite a bit more open. The alpha was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2011 (if the article I found in Google is accurate). The beta was unveiled at the factory in October 2011, where test rides were given to reservation holders. The first deliveries and test drives were in July 2012.

They have have a lot of options on a big open tarmac that they don't have on the Fremont test track. The test track is only good if they want to do banked turns of a certain radius. Besides, if they really wanted to be spotted, the Fremont test track is exactly where they would go.

Seriously, they pulled up in a Tesla-branded truck to an airfield right next to a skate park in the middle of the day. They wanted to be seen.

There are a number of BETA cars that are currently testing they would represent what you guys are calling "mule" They total 25 or so. Some are drivable some are not. They are used for different tests, the different engineering teams get a car and run their perspective tests on it. I can put up a picture, and I likely will very soon. But Just as a heads up, the front has changed allot, there is no more fake grill (nose cone). Enjoy the tidbits.
I see no fake grill on the car in the new clip from Alameda NAS airstrip. Maybe "insiderinfo" is correct?

I'm saying there are foam panels added to the back of the car so you cannot see what the body actually looks like. That is why it appears flat and the whole point of car camo.

I suppose it's possible, but not sure why they'd need to do that. They already have a prototype they've shown off they could use for testing. I'll give it that it's a little strange that it seems like there's a large Tesla presence there, but otherwise it's a hell of a coincidence.