Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the nose changed? Particularly underneath...

different_noses.png

IMO the "stubby" nose possessed a splitter, designed to minimise the air going underneath the car - part of the efforts to the extend the range. The Model S has it too.

I agree the new "approach angle" looks better, but it works to gather more air under the car, reducing downforce, which hurts handling and range.

I also know hardly anything about aerodynamics... and we can't really see the car just yet :) which leaves us with our guesswork.

Disclaimer: I don’t know anything about car testing.

Isn’t that weird testing to be done in final phase? Driving circles and 0-60 acceleration? Shouldn’t they be doing some other stuff?
They probably would be if it wasn't just for the purpose of the leak. :)

I mean in all honesty, if all they wanted to do is go around in circles for a few minutes, they have a test track for that. I have a feeling this is part of Tesla's marketing strategy... I bet the boys were busy pressing F5 on TMC last night to see when this breaks. :) Which is fine with me, it was about time to get so me evidence they are testing the final release now. This should silence doubters of the Q3 release.

And, as weird as the back looks, I'd agree with those blaming the camo. IMHO this camo is a lot tougher than the typical chess pattern others use. It surely plays tricks on your mind.

Last edited:
Maybe the changes on the ground clearence of the nose is to improve the off-road abilities? It would be kinda funny if Tesla made the Model X the best off-road production vehicle in the world and then in the reveal had a video comparing the Model X to a Range Rover doing various tasks, with the Range Rover losing every time. And then Musk turns around and says - "Oh, and what's missing from this equation? Yes, performance! The Model X will be able to do 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds! We improved the drive train of the P85D to ensure that the added weight wouldn't play a role on the Model X. We will also implement these improvements on the P85D wirelessly, improving the 0-60 time to 2.9 seconds."

Disclaimer: I don’t know anything about car testing.

Isn’t that weird testing to be done in final phase? Driving circles and 0-60 acceleration? Shouldn’t they be doing some other stuff?

I think this group is maybe a tad bit jaded/spoiled when it comes to performance capabilities of SUVs. I find it hard to imagine that many other SUVs (maybe the Cayenne GTS & BMW 5M?) doing high speed 360s and staying that flat.

The Model X will be able to do 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds! We improved the drive train of the P85D to ensure that the added weight wouldn't play a role on the Model X. We will also implement these improvements on the P85D wirelessly, improving the 0-60 time to 2.9 seconds."

I can think of a great application for such outstanding performance.

Imagine a bunch of teenagers:rolleyes: or even worse, toddlers:crying: being strapped in the back and doing what they do so well - arguing, fighting, whingeing, just being themselves.

This car will enable the driver:cool: to regain some sort of control over these lovely occupants. Just press the pedal with no warning. No one fights or whinges during a roller coaster ride :biggrin:.

I can think of a great application for such outstanding performance.

Imagine a bunch of teenagers:rolleyes: or even worse, toddlers:crying: being strapped in the back and doing what they do so well - arguing, fighting, whingeing, just being themselves.

This car will enable the driver:cool: to regain some sort of control over these lovely occupants. Just press the pedal with no warning. No one fights or whinges during a roller coaster ride :biggrin:.

I could hear it now, "Daddy! Do it again! Again! Again!"

Yeah - something's not right somewhere with the back door - it looks like an X rear door has been hacked up and just thrown on in haste. In the video the wheelbase doesn't look right - IMO it is shorter may be 4 inches - subtle but noticeable. My conspiracy theory is this is a short wheelbase platform with an X body on top. And the body has had the C pillar brought forward a touch to compensate. IMO the Model 3 will certainly resemble the X more so than being a smaller S. Conspiracy theory over.

Doesn't look like a falcon wing door at all, imo. It's flush with the body at the B pillar but not at the C pillar which wouldn't be possible for a falcon wing door.

About the overall looks and proportions: I think what has happened is that they have put quite a lot of panels and other stuff on the rear. Everything behind the rear axle is basically stretched in the horizontal and vertical dimension. They've taken the roofline higher going towards the rear, and I'm pretty sure that the section of windows behind the C-pillar is painted or pasted on (look at the discontinuity between c-pillar and window line), and is smaller than that section of windows will really be, again giving the impression of an un-elegant, bulky rear.

I'm also not entirely sure if the front has really been slimmed down or if this is just an artefact of it being white on top and black on the sides, obscuring the bonnet line.

Another thing I just noticed: I think the rear windows are too shallow, with the lower window line sloping upwards from front to back along the entire length of the car. Smaller rear windows and more door panel again gives the impression of a bulky rear.

So yeah, all in all I think the panels and colours are designed to completely throw off the proportions and make it look very rear-heavy and un-elegant. Absolutely buzzing now to see the final version and compare it to this.

The camo X likely has some fake body pieces on it, including around the Falcon Wing doors, and that combined with the confusing graphics plastered over the real body panels makes it impossible to see the actual design of the X. So all this speculation about what the camo X shows about the production version is just speculation.

As to why Tesla was driving this X on an Alameda NAS airstrip, I have no idea. It does seem odd given that there is a big test track at the Fremont factory. Maybe Elon just wanted to mess with our heads... ;-)

As to why Tesla was driving this X on an Alameda NAS airstrip, I have no idea. It does seem odd given that there is a big test track at the Fremont factory. Maybe Elon just wanted to mess with our heads... ;-)

I am convinced that everyone at TM is having a great time talking about all of us talking about this:wink: