Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be aware that JPEG compression in low-contrast/dark areas can be particularly blocky if the compression rate is high enough. This could look like a pixelated/posterized effect even if the image was not deliberately manipulated.

This is true. I'm just curious why these photos were so compressed. Even a relatively outdated smartphone camera wouldn't get that kind of blocking. That said, I'm not siding with the conspiracy side of the argument either. It's just stood out to me since they were first posted as a "hmm.. that's odd looking."

Reminds me of watching HD when I (very briefly) tried AT&T's U-verse.

This is true. I'm just curious why these photos were so compressed. Even a relatively outdated smartphone camera wouldn't get that kind of blocking. That said, I'm not siding with the conspiracy side of the argument either. It's just stood out to me since they were first posted as a "hmm.. that's odd looking."

Depending on how the photos were transmitted/resized you could have multiple layers of recompression. Forwarding a pic via text/SMS is a common scenario where an already compressed picture can be resized/compressed even further.

I'm not saying that is the case here, just that macro-blocking in dark areas is a common artifact, and that multiple (re)compression steps can compound this.

Last edited:

I also thought the images might have been post processed to hide the bumper detail. but since these photos were originally uploaded to facebook I went in search of one of my many car photos ive uploaded. saving the file locally and attempting to boost the shadows resultted in the same blocky missing black detail.

thus I would say its an artifact of facebooks image compression and not a planted image.

Last edited:
So, I am driving from Toronto to Wisconsin and stopped at Chicago Telsa to charge. I sees a trailer full of Model S cars for delivery and right in the middle, a covered SUV. I says to myself, "Self, is that a Model X !?!?"

I takes a looks closer and the front three cars on the top rack were not Teslas... including the not Model X.

I thought i had had a scoop. I would have sat here all night for them to unload it.

image.jpg

Come on now, let's not lose our focus. Are you guys sure you don't want to start a new thread about how that actually IS a Model X and the two cars in front of it are Model 3 Alphas or something!? I mean, how many car carriers that have Tesla's on them also have cars that are Not Teslas!? Just sayin'. Maybe Franz has gone all Saturn/Opel/Taurus with the new design (& hideous w the X - sliding doors!) we should be able to tell something from the pixelation of the taillights!

I also thought the images might have been post processed to hide the bumper detail. but since these photos were originally uploaded to facebook I went in search of one of my many car photos ive uploaded. saving the file locally and attempting to boost the shadows resultted in the same blocky missing black detail.

thus I would say its an artifact of facebooks image compression and not a planted image.

Good point about the Facebook compression, guys. It is true it is notoriously bad.

Well of course it can still be a planted image. After all, who parks a Model X in the middle of a road for a seeming photo op? But it is certainly possible it doesn't contain post-production masking...

Now, good analysis guys. Let's not let all the irrelevant stuff derail a great thread of analysis. :)

So, I am driving from Toronto to Wisconsin and stopped at Chicago Telsa to charge. I sees a trailer full of Model S cars for delivery and right in the middle, a covered SUV. I says to myself, "Self, is that a Model X !?!?"

I takes a looks closer and the front three cars on the top rack were not Teslas... including the not Model X.

I thought i had had a scoop. I would have sat here all night for them to unload it.

View attachment 73132
This is the post of the month Chrisizzle. Thanks for sharing the not Model X. Was that an Audi next to it?

I am a genius. I figured it all out! All by myself! :cool:

There are 3 model X's in that picture, but they are on the bottom, showcasing 1 of the new undisclosed features promised, INVISIBILTY. You heard it here first.

Why am I not surprised that there hasn't been a mule sighting since the Q4 earning's report. Does anyone believe they were actually doing any real testing? It certainly got lots of attention which was probably their only goal to begin with.

To add to the conspiracy, I ran to the Facebook page shortly after the pictures came out that Kosh Kumar said that the pictures were posted to:

Kosh Kumar -"There is this group on FB in the bay area called "the bay area car spotter" someone spotted the Model X. Hella Legit"

The only group I could find was "Bay Area Car Spotters". It's a closed group that I needed to apply to get membership in. It only took a few hours. Not only could I find no sign of any Model X pictures in the group, but I found a couple posts saying that they dont allow electric cars to be uploaded...

I can not believe you guys missed the real Model X in the picture.

Obviously a planted shot, what normal person would take a picture of a camoed Model X prototype doing trailer testing and ONLY taking a shot far from behind.

tesla_trailer.jpg

Class leading, folks.

To add to the conspiracy, I ran to the Facebook page shortly after the pictures came out that Kosh Kumar said that the pictures were posted to:

Kosh Kumar -"There is this group on FB in the bay area called "the bay area car spotter" someone spotted the Model X. Hella Legit"

The only group I could find was "Bay Area Car Spotters". It's a closed group that I needed to apply to get membership in. It only took a few hours. Not only could I find no sign of any Model X pictures in the group, but I found a couple posts saying that they dont allow electric cars to be uploaded...

Good point Local host and thanks for sharing the insight.

If we really want to go conspiracy, the reluctance of some key members here to speculate - and talk more about UFOs - suggest potential knowledge and/or NDAs? ;)