Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

where next with Tesla prices in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are we getting an awful deal?
Do the maths - £38,900 - VAT of £6,483 = £32,417 = $41,060.
US - $39,900 + $1,200 = $41,100
So a $40 saving, plus their interest on the currency change and the extra cost of their carriage.
We're getting a great deal!
Google suggests non-EU Car Import Duty is 10% ... but dunno if I used the right keywords :)
I forgot the PICG of £3,500. That could pay for import duty.

Anyone noticed the apparent increase in PCP prices for model X in the past couple of weeks?

I’ve been watching prices and specs for a while now, considering an X as an option for SO’s car. Aside from the usual Tesla-induced cash price gyration I saw this change on Friday. Result of a change in residual/FGV? I think the PCP interest rate is pretty constant at a typical black horse rate of 5.4%.

Long range £1,414 (£95,150) (£9,515 deposit) 2019-05-31

Long range £1,112 (£95,150) (£9,515 deposit) 2019-05-22

Short range £1,279 (£86,050) (£8,605 deposit) 2019-05-31
Short range £1,010 (£86,050) (£8,605 deposit) 2019-05-22

GFVs seem to have been reduced across the board after the HMRC ruling which has increased prices.

They have been massively reduced. I did a quick config for a Q3 to match the one my wife bought a couple of weeks ago, which had the PCP in place well before the deadline. The new GFV is not markedly different to what it was previously.

I think it’s more likely the finance house reaction to the huge price cuts at the top end a month or so ago. That will have hammered residuals and I don’t blame the finance house who are now erring on the side of caution big time.

It’s going to impact sales, it’s put £250 a month on the same car/same deposit etc.:eek:

Anyone noticed the apparent increase in PCP prices for model X in the past couple of weeks?

I’ve been watching prices and specs for a while now, considering an X as an option for SO’s car. Aside from the usual Tesla-induced cash price gyration I saw this change on Friday. Result of a change in residual/FGV? I think the PCP interest rate is pretty constant at a typical black horse rate of 5.4%.

As discussed above, this is due to some changes from HMRC which need to be observed by businesses before 1st June 2019. Coinciding with these changes from Tesla.

Revenue and Customs Brief 1 (2019): Change to the VAT treatment of personal contract purchases

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
I was thinking if it affects other manufacturers similarly it might be the end of PCP as the main selling method in the UK... its popularity was mainly due to low monthly payments (and the dealers got a decent chance of a trade in after it ended, so they pushed it like mad too). Drop the GFVs drastically and you suddenly lose the headline price.

OTOH it could be because Tesla are constantly changing the prices of their cars, plus uncertainty about Tesla's future (which, warranted or not, lenders are financial types and exposed to those kinds of articles) it's affecting them disproportionately.

As discussed above, this is due to some changes from HMRC which need to be observed by businesses before 1st June 2019. Coinciding with these changes from Tesla.

Basically saying unless the GFV is below the expected value its a lease and so the VAT treatment isn’t as friendly.

On a £79.5k S the GFV is £25.4k after 48 months. That’s some serious depreciation!

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
Result of a change in residual/FGV? I think the PCP interest rate is pretty constant at a typical black horse rate of 5.4%.

It looks like changes in PCP setup is going to kill alot of previous man maths based sales.

The real life deprecation on the X is no where near these values though (P models aside).

I ineffect paid £75k for our 75D (shor range) X in late 2016. The cheapest Xs are currently just under £60k with one at £55k (presumably for a quick sale). Thats in effect £830/month deprecation if sold for £55k which isnt at all bad for a car this expensive and new.

The odd things though with the latest software update the MCU 1 performance is now fantastic with near instant response, Spotify hasn't crashed for months, Peak SC rate is now over 100KW, and AP keeps on getting better with FSD upgrade still to come. In effect our car is better than ever.

Given our car is paid for, has free for life Supercharging and £0 VED the incentive to upgrade to a new X is virtually 0. I recon selling our and buying a new LR X would cost us in the region of £30-40k (so essentially a whole Model 3), which is madness given the only real benefit is the extra range which we rarely use.

Am also still convinced Tesla is going to have a warehouse full of RHD AWD 'P' Model 3s to shift come September time especially with PCP deals as they are. I will be disappoint if we cannot pick an inventory AWD P Model 3 with free for life Supercharging and at least £5-10k off list price at some point in the next 6-12 months.

Reactions: PrGrPa and goRt
I just noticed that too! I was supercharging for the first time in months at the weekend and it peaked at 104 kW (2018 MX 75D). I think previously the peak was something like 90 ish kW, so that's quite an improvement

My S75D previously peaked at 96kW and I've now managed 110kW :). Very pleased with it, not that it'll make any difference to me but welcome nonetheless.

The original P85 upgraded sports seats (came with red piping - that was the £2k upgrade!). They were essentially formless and after driving for a while, you felt like you were sitting on the metal seat frame. For me, this caused a great deal of discomfort.

The 90D was a massive improvement. Vented seats too. Still possible to get the wrong position and feel the frame but raising seat up off the floor mostly resolves that.

Reactions: vitesse
The original P85 upgraded sports seats (came with red piping - that was the £2k upgrade!). They were essentially formless and after driving for a while, you felt like you were sitting on the metal seat frame. For me, this caused a great deal of discomfort.

The 90D was a massive improvement. Vented seats too. Still possible to get the wrong position and feel the frame but raising seat up off the floor mostly resolves that.

Sounds like you have the latest Premium seats, with the height-adjustable headrests? I'm very pleased with the next-gen seats.