Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I also think "stand alone" Supercharger stations are impossible in Hong Kong.

... which is not really a problem - as long as owners of existing parking lots in shopping malls, super markets and so on, will allow installation of superchargers.

Superchargers, although designed as road trip range extenders, will be usable in Hong Kong for charging of cars that cannot charge "at home". I wonder what Tesla will do regarding that, will it still be free, forever? Imagine all those who will be charging exclusively by super chargers.

By the time we say "Happy New Year" next time, we will be all the more wiser in these matters.

Tesla Motors, be proactive here, please, aggressive about both superchargers, as well as supporting Tesla MS owners in persuading car park owners to let them install chargers.

Are you living close to that, CCT? They already have a few charging stations in the shopping mall parking lot in the basement (13A only I think).

It would be a great spot for me, as I am close to it. And a lot of traffic goes that way. When the tunnel opens between Tuen Mun and the airport/Tung Chung, and the passage to the North towards Yuen Long, then it will be even better to have a supercharger here. One could be concerned is that Castle Peak Road along this stretch is quite overloaded, but it won't be that many extra cars I think. When there are special happenings, like recently at Easter, it's totally jammed by cars trying to get in and out at the same time. They need to make one more exit, maybe even a traffic light. In fact, there is a traffic light close by, they could make the exit there, and combine it with a supercharger.

For that area, it would cover quite a bit, and there is definitely room in the front to install quite a few spots. A great "Green PR" initiative for the "Gold Coast Piazza"

They already have a deal with 2 hour free parking if shopping more than 100 HKD, 3 hours if shopping more than 200 HKD: Gold Coast Piazza

Just add free electric charge to that also ...

- - - Updated - - -

Just made some sketches on a Google Map, for two possible locations of superchargers in Gold Coast. One is in front of the shopping mall, the other one on the auxillary overflow parking lot inside the Gold Coast Yacht and Country Club.

In either case, I think there should be a separate access, and one in conjunction with the already existing traffic light could be a good suggestion (to avoid congestion on busy days). I am sure there are lots of obstacles wrt ownership of land, road regulations, electric cabling and much more!

View attachment 47959

I'm more close to Tsuen Wan then to Tuen Mun but I use that part of CPR all the time. Now you've mentioned it, yes I forgot there're a few charging points in the mall parking already (but honestly who use them?)

Nice picture, DITB. It seems far fetched, but that public parking area in front of the Gold Coast Hotel (which isn't in your google map) could be a good place to install a bigger solar canopy of Supercharger Station. That would be amazing with the amount of sunshine during the summer. But I really doubt government would let TM do it even if TM decides the location is plausible to build one.

Yes, most if not all of that land is government land and Tesla will not get it. The only option is parking in Malls in HK and perhaps Science Park and a few government car parks. Besides, Tesla is not BYD so it is likely they will be quietly obstructed at every turn. The mainland authorities will not allow Tesla to become the dominant player.

Heard from someone in the technical side of Tesla HK that they are planning on a "few" Superchargers in HK but nothing can be revealed yet.

Last edited:
Yes, most if not all of that land is government land and Tesla will not get it. The only option is parking in Malls in HK and perhaps Science Park and a few government car parks. Besides, Tesla is not BYD so it is likely they will be quietly obstructed at every turn. The mainland authorities will not allow Tesla to become the dominant player.

Heard from someone in the technical side of Tesla HK that they are planning on a "few" Superchargers in HK but nothing can be revealed yet.

Besides, Tesla is not BYD so it is likely they will be quietly obstructed at every turn. ... don't you just loooove Hong Kong! The best politicians money can buy ...

From what we now know, is that the infrastructure will come before the cars do, so I guess if the cars are coming in July/August, we will be seeing the first supercharger very soon. Keep an eye on them folks!

It's really exciting!

I might be like a kid waiting for Christmas (or a like a pilot waiting for an "-8I"), yet I can see myself taking a picnic out to see a new super charger, even before I have the MS.

From what we now know, is that the infrastructure will come before the cars do, so I guess if the cars are coming in July/August, we will be seeing the first supercharger very soon. Keep an eye on them folks!

Yeah, I talked to Linda over the phone last week about their Charger Validation program, she said Supercharger will be available in the summer in HK and their supercharger experts already in HK and started some site works.

Ok we need to have a prize for the first person to identify, with photographic evidence, a HK Supercharging station!

Totally agree!

Even if there will be only a few stations, it's just all the more an excuse to go for a spin.

Because that what we will need, constant excuses to go somewhere in our soon to come Tesla model S cars

Please note that there is a "Asia" tab in Tesla Motors Supercharger page: Supercharger | Tesla Motors
The tab is right under the bar graph. So far there is one dot.
According to the "coming soon" map, Tesla is planning to open 14 supercharger in China. There are 4 dots in Hong Kong/Guangzhou area, seems 3 dots are located in Hong Kong. The last one locates between Guangzhou and Hong Kong (possibly Guangshen highway).

BTW Two supercharger are currently open in Shanghai.

Good catch waidy! Also you can toggle the bar below the map to "coming soon" which shows more dots on the map. There are three dots near Hong Kong area as far as I can see, but I am not sure if all of them are Hong Kong. Possible that only one is Hong Kong and the other two are Shenzhen and Macau as they are slightly away from Hong Kong...

Yes, I noticed the same thing just today, as I was showing a friend what superchargers are. We were going to look at Europe, and oh, there was Asia now as an option (finally). Too bad you cannot zoom in, or click the dots, for more precise info.