Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked with Tesla Hotline today, they confirmed they are building up TWO Supercharging stations in HK. One in Cyberport, another one is still not announced yet.

Another good news is that, they are going to sell 13A plug mobile connector for Model S owners. The price range is about 3000-4000.

It would be a great news for me if they are having Super Charger in Science Park. I live in Ma On Shan and I can charge my car while having dinner there.

Your Tesla will be full before you do though :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Any Supercharger in TKO. Come on Tesla.

cyrushk, I'm actually thinking of perhaps renting an apartment and move to TKO later this year. Considering a serviced one at Vega Suites and am wondering if their parking lot is in fact shared with Popcorn and The Wings i.e. the same one. I've parked at Popcorn before and saw one (or maybe two) charging bay(s) operated by EVPower (E-Charge). They're just probably 13A but if I can't install my own wall unit (which I most probably can't) then I might once in awhile have to rely on those.

CCT I live in TKO too. Vega Suites have a parking area on ground level but I think it is for short term parking. EVEN if they let you use that space as monthly parking the fee will be a huge number.

Popcorn's parking is separated from Vega and have 1 EVPower 13A socket (correct me if i am wrong here). Their parking fee is now $13/hr

CCT I live in TKO too. Vega Suites have a parking area on ground level but I think it is for short term parking. EVEN if they let you use that space as monthly parking the fee will be a huge number.

Popcorn's parking is separated from Vega and have 1 EVPower 13A socket (correct me if i am wrong here). Their parking fee is now $13/hr

Thanks for your input, jh78. Ummm.. in that case the Popcorn charge bay won't be very useful to me... According to (old) Vega's leaflet they do offer long term parking for $2800/month. Might be the ground level space you mentioned.

The Peak will be cool. But I can't really think of where. I always wonder how the range would be affected after a long uphill climb.
Tai Koo Place/North Point may not be bad either. A little away from the city centers (central/cwb), but not so far that people won't go. Also, as a mid point stop towards Turtle Cove/Shek O. There are some spaces in North Point (the old Pier area) that could work.

North point pier is an awesome idea, except that the government would rather sell the land than rent it to Tesla. That area is prime of the prime.

Don't even think there will be "stand alone" Superchargers. I would take bets, that they only will be existing carparks.

So they won't be truly 'free'.
HK really presents an unique challenge for Tesla. There's really zero free 'space'. How crazy is this town?!

One problem with having them in regular carparks is that people will park the car and go shopping... or go watch a movie. so they may park and take up a supercharger for 2hours when they only need top top it off in 20 mins. and that super charger will be occupied for the remaining 100 mins!

So they won't be truly 'free'.
HK really presents an unique challenge for Tesla. There's really zero free 'space'. How crazy is this town?!

One problem with having them in regular carparks is that people will park the car and go shopping... or go watch a movie. so they may park and take up a supercharger for 2hours when they only need top top it off in 20 mins. and that super charger will be occupied for the remaining 100 mins!

If the spaces are really limited, there need to be some kind of valet service. Leave your fob with a trusted, Tesla Motors approved person, and once charging is at the level you require, they can shift your car to a non-charging spot. For Tesla to avoid a lot of trouble and bad PR, employing staff to do this full time would be very useful if not vital. To help offset the salary of that staff, extra (paid) services could be offered, like window cleaning, tire pressure top-up, or maybe even washing the car, vacuum cleaning etc. Could you imagine going shopping/dining/cinema, and come back to a washed, vacuum cleaned and charged up car? If you are a careful and quality minded person, it wouldn't take much of an education/training to undertake this kind of job. Drivers license and command of English and Cantonese (possibly Mandarin also), along with the right personality, would suffice.

I'm not sure how it all is going to work in practical and legal terms, but it would surely make supercharger utilisation much more efficient - and prevent the need for people to come back and move their car. "Free superchargers" might be limited in the Hong Kong market to be for a certain amount of time, i.e. free for one hour pr day pr car, after that, pay xx HKD pr hour to occupy the spot. What else is going to keep people from overstaying, even when there is a line-up of others wanting to charge? I'm not saying you and me, but there will be many of those who couldn't care less about anyone but themselves.

DITB, that is not a bad idea. If they do that as a surcharge for Tesla owners in paid parking lots, it's not such a bad deal. I just hope they do not partner up with one of those car-washing companies and make it a truly independent operation.

DITB, that is not a bad idea. If they do that as a surcharge for Tesla owners in paid parking lots, it's not such a bad deal. I just hope they do not partner up with one of those car-washing companies and make it a truly independent operation.
It would have to be under strict control of TM HK, possibly even people employed directly by Tesla. If they had some technical background on top of it, they could maybe solve ad hoc issues - if any - with the superchargers themselves.In between shifting cars from and to supercharger spots, the extra services would complement nicely. No sense in having someone sit and stare at a row of cars only to move them as they finish charging.And there would be the extra benefit of being able to keep ICE cars out of the supercharger spots.

It would have to be under strict control of TM HK, possibly even people employed directly by Tesla. If they had some technical background on top of it, they could maybe solve ad hoc issues - if any - with the superchargers themselves.In between shifting cars from and to supercharger spots, the extra services would complement nicely. No sense in having someone sit and stare at a row of cars only to move them as they finish charging.And there would be the extra benefit of being able to keep ICE cars out of the supercharger spots.

I have always heard that the government has a few carparks which are really underused.
See:
http://www.scmp.com/article/984328/ruling-car-park-issue-reserved
http://www.scmp.com/article/606899/car-parks-proposed-maids-recreation

Though the news articles are outdated, it is still true for some up till today, like the Star Ferry pier, City Hall car parks. If Tesla can work out a deal with the government, turning these car parks into Tesla Supercharging car parks is not a dream! And yes I'm imagining a car park full of /only of Tesla's Roadsters and Model S.

2014-04-17 12.01.30.jpg

Taken at Cityhall car park

Maybe my little girl would be truly happy then.