Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having had a brief chat to the charging guys in HK they are well aware of the need for Kowloon side chargers and have some sites identified but it takes time to get the details right. Unsurprisingly the issue of sufficient power seems to be an issue in the NT and other places.

20150407171546.jpg

Never-used parking spaces at Kornhill Apartments, would make excellent venue for 6-stall superchargers

OK, maybe I am being selfish here, but I would love it if they had Tesla Superchargers in IFC and Pacific Place. (I live in Pok Fu Lam - 3 minute drive to Cyperport superchargers)

I am close to ordering a Model S and am trying to figure out whether our building management will allow a slow charger to be installed in my covered car park for overnight charges. If that is the case, the 70D would be a no brainer compared to the 85. If not, the 85 might give me that extra piece of mind.

OK, maybe I am being selfish here, but I would love it if they had Tesla Superchargers in IFC and Pacific Place. (I live in Pok Fu Lam - 3 minute drive to Cyperport superchargers)

I am close to ordering a Model S and am trying to figure out whether our building management will allow a slow charger to be installed in my covered car park for overnight charges. If that is the case, the 70D would be a no brainer compared to the 85. If not, the 85 might give me that extra piece of mind.

I own a 60kWh and it allows me drive 200km on one 90% charge, don't live near superchargers, don't own a personal charger, yet zero range anxiety.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a multicharger.. One that supports supercharger as well as the other standard charger plugs. If Tesla could design one of those, then I think the Government would be much more happy to discuss installing them at Government carparks, public facilities like sports grounds and other common areas.

You know there are 4 superchargers at Repulse Bay now so it'll be either a quicky 3 minutes to Cyberport or 10 minutes scenic drive to Repulse Bay.

I got my car early December there was only SC at Hopewell, fast forward 4.5 months they have added Lee Garden (2), Repulse Bay (4), Cyberport (6) so it's nearly 3 bays per month. Panda hotel (4) and Science Park (6) are ready anytime next few days....!

I haven't mentioned medium speed chargers at gov't public parking which I also use from time to time.

I live on Island side so range anxiety definitely isn't a problem. However, more Supercharger stations would definitely make it more convenient.

Several things I would suggest they do.

1. Kowloon and NT needs a lot more Superchargers.

Kowloon Side

Kowloon West: Elements would be great, if not Olympic. At least 4.
Kowloon Tong: Festival Walk. 2-4 would be great.
Mong Kok: Langham Place. Due to space 2-4 would be great.
Kwun Tong: APM or one of those newer office areas. Kai Tak is nearby, but it's sort of out of the way for everyone since it's middle of nowhere in Cruise Terminal. 4 would be enough with Kai Tak nearby.

NT Side
Airport: obvious. At least 4 chargers. 6 Ideally. You probably use 5%-10% leaving Lantau Island.
Shatin: City One. Shatin is kind of middle of NT and every route north of Kowloon will usually take you there. They should have 6 here. Shatin is the biggest housing estate area in HK.
Tuen Mun or Yuen Long: For the those in NT West. 4 should be enough.

HK Side (Being greedy, but Island is very dense and a lot of Tesla owners go to work or commute to Island side quite often)

Causeway Bay: 2 at Lee Gardens just isn't enough. Causeway Bay is a major shopping/entertainment district, they should add a few more. Times Square if possible. CWB should add 2-4 more.
Central: Another obvious one. So many office buildings, restaurants, etc. Should have at least 4 Superchargers, ideally 6. Build it on those new land they reclaimed near where the ferris wheel is since I heard IFC can't handle the power.
Taikoo Shing/Quarry Bay: One Island East. Enough office buildings there to make it worthwhile and can cover the HK East side. 4-6 would be great.
Peak: This one is optional, but would be great if they can put 2 up there. Going uphill uses lots of energy!

2. Real time display on whether the Superchargers are in use.

This would let drivers know if their target Supercharger parking lot is full or not. Avoids a lot of unknowns and having to go in and pay for parking then finding out there's no free spots. Only Lee Garden has an app that shows if the 2 superchargers there are occupied or not and it's not even provided by Tesla. Tesla HK should step up and integrate this into the app for HK users. Localization is key to every international market. Better yet if it can show how much charged the occupied space has achieved. Takes the guess work out.

If Tesla can do this, it would provide basically all regions of HK covered and minimize the guess work of waiting and seeing if there's free spots for charging. Any spots that don't have superchargers should be sufficiently covered by government and 3rd party charging platforms.

2. Real time display on whether the Superchargers are in use.

This would let drivers know if their target Supercharger parking lot is full or not. Avoids a lot of unknowns and having to go in and pay for parking then finding out there's no free spots. Only Lee Garden has an app that shows if the 2 superchargers there are occupied or not and it's not even provided by Tesla. Tesla HK should step up and integrate this into the app for HK users. Localization is key to every international market. Better yet if it can show how much charged the occupied space has achieved. Takes the guess work out.

If Tesla can do this, it would provide basically all regions of HK covered and minimize the guess work of waiting and seeing if there's free spots for charging. Any spots that don't have superchargers should be sufficiently covered by government and 3rd party charging platforms.

+1

What I would like to see is for each supercharged location, a realtime display of:

a) Which stalls are occupied and which are free
b) The SOC% of the car at each occupied stall, and estimate for time to full charge

+1
a) Which stalls are occupied and which are free
b) The SOC% of the car at each occupied stall, and estimate for time to full charge

I have spoken with Tesla last time I was in service, this is very easy if they want to do it, as they know via their app where exactly the car is and % full of charge, they could display that information via the app. Alternatively such information can be sent to our touch screen as soon as we display the navigation app. E.g. I won't bother driving to cruise terminal if 4 cars have only just started charging.

I have spoken with Tesla last time I was in service, this is very easy if they want to do it, as they know via their app where exactly the car is and % full of charge, they could display that information via the app. Alternatively such information can be sent to our touch screen as soon as we display the navigation app. E.g. I won't bother driving to cruise terminal if 4 cars have only just started charging.

Easier than that. All the Superchargers are real-time Internet connected back to Tesla anyway. It is just a matter of exposing that data to the cars.

So today i visited the new Science Park Supercharger. Its a bank of 6 (1 A/B etc..) on Science Park East Avenue near the corner of Fo Yin Road. The good thing is that it is virtually street parking so no parking fees. It is nearby restaurants, coffee shops and a waterfront park etc. Quite a nice place to walk around.

IMG_1323.jpg

Of course no activity is complete in Hong Kong without the fun police who turned up in a panic, marking the non Tesla parking spots next to the Supercharger slots with cones and tape. There was the obligatory panic calls on their phones and sheer frustration at not being able to stop anything.

IMG_1327.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 372
As long as we can't get more superchargers, I think those shopping malls that can't should consider to install 3 phase 32A chargers (type-2). Although slower than superchargers, almost every EV can use them, and at 100 km/h or more (dual chargers), they are fast enough to charge up completely while you watch a movie or have a dinner + shopping. May I in this regard suggest Kwai Chung Estate, which is close to both the Tesla Service Centre and Tsing Yi maritime square: Free parking for EVs for two hours, 7 bays of 32A/~3 (22 kW dual, 11 kW single charger installed). Very basic restaurants and shops, but they do have supermarket, "Japans store", cheap ice cream and similar.

And even 13A BS1363 chargers have a place: Overnight charging or while being at work, they are basically wall outlets, dirt cheap to install. There should be loads of them, especially at places like the airport long term parking (parking #2). Since they can supply a maximum of about 2 kW, they won't be a huge cost on top of what an existing parking fee covers.

Regarding superchargers showing how many cars are charging, and how low the SOC of the cars are - it wouldn't show how many are waiting, which often adds to it as well.

Since Tesla knows where every car is located and its state of charge, they could avoid privacy issues by simply making either smileys at each place, or a time for estimated next charger available - or both.

Simply a green smiley if it's open for use, a yellow one if at least one car is about to be fully charged and a red one if all stalls are taken by half empty cars.

If Tesla Motors were really, really smart, they would include this: Any supercharger enabled car that uses navigation and selects a supercharger (or that parking lot/spot), the system would consider this cars estimated arrival and it's charge when arriving. In other words, if there is one spot available, but my car is there in 7 minutes, with estimated 20% SOC, then it would show to other cars (which are more than 7 minutes away) that it's full.

If people would use their navigation while going to superchargers, this would make the estimated time much more precise. Only downside is that some people will keep the car there even after they are done charging (while a few will move it before they are done charging). It doesn't say you have to move your car when you are done charging - so despite all common sense and good citizenship, it's no guarantee that people will come and move their cars, once done charging. We have seen on many occasions that some don't plug in, or just leave their car there all day.

And finally - ICEing of the superchargers probably won't show in such a system, unless there is a system to detect if a car is parked there, and not even plugged in.

Last edited: