Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charger do you recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, are you saying that charging with NEMA 14-50 alone is going to be slower than with the Tesla Wall Connect if they use the same wire and the same breaker in the electrical box?
Yes. The mobile connector with a 14-50 on a 50-amp circuit will be limited to the 32-amp max for the mobile connector. The wall charger on a 50-amp circuit will supply 40 amps (80% of max rating).

For me, the extra 8 amps is not worth $500. Also, I leave it plugged in all the time, and have only unplugged it 3 or 4 times in the past year for longer trips.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Here's what the Wall Connector gives (Most folks don't need any of these):
1. Hard wired. (Eventually the receptacle of the 14-50 wears out. The standard duty has around 300 cycles, heavy duty has far more.)
2. Longer cable.
3. Rated for outdoors.
4. Can adjust charging between two cars.
5. With the proper wiring, breaker, and electrical service, can charge faster.
6. WiFi.
7. Looks a little neater.
(FWIW, I have used the 14-50 for over seven years.)
Awesome! Thanks!
So, my only question is: if I have NEMA 14-50 only can I schedule my charging with the Tesla app, or do I need the Wall Connect for that?

Awesome! Thanks!
So, my only question is: if I have NEMA 14-50 only can I schedule my charging with the Tesla app, or do I need the Wall Connect for that?
You can schedule charging from the car. The App can start/stop charging and change the charge limit. Usually, you just set the scheduled charging in the car and forget it, unless you need something special (e.g. 100% for a road trip and/or an end time change).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
You can schedule charging from the car. The App can start/stop charging and change the charge limit. Usually, you just set the scheduled charging in the car and forget it, unless you need something special (e.g. 100% for a road trip and/or an end time change).
Start/stop with the app would be enough for me. I am thinking about the situation when I am traveling for a few weeks and before coming home I would like to be able to charge the battery, so the car is ready to use when I arrive.

Yes. The mobile connector with a 14-50 on a 50-amp circuit will be limited to the 32-amp max for the mobile connector. The wall charger on a 50-amp circuit will supply 40 amps (80% of max rating).

For me, the extra 8 amps is not worth $500. Also, I leave it plugged in all the time, and have only unplugged it 3 or 4 times in the past year for longer trips.

It definitely makes more sense to put in at least 60a circuit for a wall charger if possible to take full advantage of the onboard 48a charger. And even higher if you are thinking of a 2nd Tesla and want to future proof the setup.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big_nobody
It definitely makes more sense to put in at least 60a circuit for a wall charger if possible to take full advantage of the onboard 48a charger. And even higher if you are thinking of a 2nd Tesla and want to future proof the setup.
Just plugged in our Model 3 and took these photos. Charging at 45miles of range per hour at 48a and the scheduling screen. Hope this helps.
474CEFD1-008D-49C4-A15B-D1A80A7B6989.jpeg

D2502A53-4F59-4882-850F-79664734AA0B.jpeg

Reactions: F14Scott
So, this is what you see on the display in the car, but in Tesla app I can only do Start/Stop charging, but no scheduling, correct?
That's correct. However, if you have scheduled charging already set, the App will not delete it. So you can start or stop charging and it will still continue to start at the scheduled time (the next day if you stop the charging). If you change the limit, that limit will stay until you change the limit again. An example (from before they had the time-to-drive setting) is that the charge was set to start at 02:00, but a 100% charge was required so it might not get done by leaving time. Starting the charge from the App at 19:00 and then stopping at 21:00 would bring the SOC up enough so that it would finish the 100% charge by the time you life using the schedule. It's much easier now with the time-to-drive setting).

So, this is what you see on the display in the car, but in Tesla app I can only do Start/Stop charging, but no scheduling, correct?
Correct,
This is what you see in the charging submenu after charging is complete and the cable is still plugged in.
So there is a little bit of variance depending on state of charge and whether or not a cable is plugged in… But no scheduling access.
32C1FDC4-3245-4914-B261-6D754C0C50BB.jpeg

• Helpful
Correct,
This is what you see in the charging submenu after charging is complete and the cable is still plugged in.
So there is a little bit of variance depending on state of charge and whether or not a cable is plugged in… But no scheduling access.
View attachment 597275
Awesome! So now, can I leave the charging cable plugged in for 2 weeks and start charging from the app just the night before arriving back home? I guess I would need to "unlock the charge port" first and then start charging.

Awesome! So now, can I leave the charging cable plugged in for 2 weeks and start charging from the app just the night before arriving back home? I guess I would need to "unlock the charge port" first and then start charging.
You’re not so much turning on the charger as changing the level to maintain. So I generally set mine anywhere from 70% to 90%.
I wouldn’t Suggest setting it to below 60% or above 90% unless necessary to reach the first charging stop on a long trip. So if you’re out of town for two weeks, you can leave it at 70% and if you plan to take a long trip the next day after you arrive home set up to 90% remotely. Although I’m guessing you’ll have plenty of time to bump it up to 90% while you’re sleeping. So unless you have a very special case situation you might be overthinking this.

1. Unlocking the charge port is what you can do to remove the cable (usually not used unless there is an issue. It's also used when using a non-Tesla charger). If you unlock it, you won't be able to charge.
2. There's zero reason to stop charging while you're away. If you are leaving for a couple of months, you can turn the charge limit down to 50%, but anything less, just leave it alone and let it do its thing.

So if you’re out of town for two weeks, you can leave it at 70% and if you plan to take a long trip the next day after you arrive home set up to 90% remotely.
The question here is why? Two weeks is nothing. It won't make any difference, and leaving it at 90% will let the battery maintenance system do it's thing. If you are gone for several months, then there is some merit to setting it to 50%, but otherwise just leave it alone.

Greetings,

Good discussion above. The only thing I’ll add is that some of the pro/con of which way to go may depend on your living and tax situation. We opted to install the ChargePoint Home Flex with the necessary adaptor at our house on a 50amp circuit for our 2016 Model S. This option gives us a lot of flexibility if we get another EV (if it’s not a Tesla, gasp); going with the Tesla wall connector is super convenient for Teslas, but not at all convenient for other cars. Also, we’re benefiting from a utility rebate and state and (hopefully) federal tax credits, so our cost will actually be pretty low. And, for us, it adds a smidge of resale value to the house.

Just $.02 more,

Todd

• Helpful
The question here is why? Two weeks is nothing. It won't make any difference, and leaving it at 90% will let the battery maintenance system do it's thing. If you are gone for several months, then there is some merit to setting it to 50%, but otherwise just leave it alone.
Agreed. A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla.

Reactions: jerry33
KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

- Come back home and just plug.
- Have already the Start, or Stop, charging time set (based on ToU rate) using car display charging menu.
- Weak up, and go to work with car ready and charged (80 %).

- Planning for a long trip on weekend, change remotely using the Tesla App, the Max charging to 95%.

Honestly, this is enough for me. I even use the included UMC (20 ft) , so didn't cost me anything.

This is exactly what I do.

The car fills up over night (at least for my daily driving). My 120v plug gives 6 miles per hour. So plug the car in at 6pm, unplug it in the morning at 9am - that is 15 hours of charging. This gives me 90 miles. I can skip a day, if I wanted to - or use it for the second Tesla my wife is planning on buying.

Before I had my car, I was planning on putting in a 14-50 socket. I really don't need it.

Sure, do your own research. My point was, there was a perception painted here that the Gen2 charger is the agreed-upon better unit. That's not at all the case. And in my opinion, and that of many others, the opposite is true, but do your own work.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
In the end I am getting the NEMA 14-50 plug installed and using the UMC that came with the car
along with the optional $35 adaptor from Telsa that will allow it to use that 240v plug.
Try to find a way to hold the UMC charger using a bracket, a small shelf, or a bicycle water bottle holder...

The issue is the weight of the UMC after some time might pull out a little bit the plug which would not get a good contact anymore.

Thus, one pin might start to overheat and might create a meltdown of the wires inside the wall with a risk of creating a short.

tesla-umc-bracket-jpg.595215

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

I think you are over-thinking stuff (and I should know, I do it all the time). Basically, choose a charger (or cable) based on your preference. Choose TWC if you are only ever going to charge Teslas, or get a J1772 fast charger if you might use it for non-Tesla cars. If you are on a budget, just get a 14-50 socket wired into your garage and use the supplied charge cable (you will need to buy a 14-50 adapter from Tesla).

As far as charging schedule is concerned .. as others have noted, choose a day-to-day charge level (I use 70% as I have a short commute), plug the car in at night and unplug it when you take it for a drive. Leave it plugged in the rest of the time, including when you are out of town. The car will take care of topping up the battery if/when it thinks its needed, but otherwise won't draw power from the wall outlet (well, almost nothing). If you are in an area where you can benefit from off-peak electric rates, set the schedule in the car and forget it. It's the car that does all this. the wall-charger, regardless of brand, is dumb and contributes nothing really.

Apart from planning supercharging for long trips, that's pretty much it. Your car will always be charged and ready to go, and your days of thinking about going to gas stations and pouring smelly flammable stuff into a big tank are gone :)