Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Wifi issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted the following on Tesla's Model 3 forum a few weeks ago. Many times this forum is better with technical issues. If I clear my routers DHCP reservations then reboot, the Wall Connector gets an IP address on my home Wifi but can NOT be pinged nor does the Web Server respond. The provisioning SSID is always being broadcast but I always get a bad passphrase error when trying to connect.

I purchased and successfully provisioned my Tesla Gen 3 Wall connector about a month ago. I connected to the Web Server via the configured IP address a few times a week to see if there were any firmware updates. A few days ago I noticed the top green LED pulsating which indicates the unit is ready to be provisioned.

Since the Wall Connector was not reachable over the network I performed the following.

1. Power cycled after which my router showed it connected to a different IP address. Still could not ping or connect to the Wall Connector web server.
No matter what I do the SSID TeslaWallConnector_xxxxx is always broadcasting.
2. When I try to connect to the provisioning SSID, I always get bad passphrase returned. I manually entered the passphrase and used the QR code same results.
3. Power cycled several more times and sometimes the top green LED is solid sometime pulsating.
4. When I hold down the wand button for several seconds, the LED's that indicate how the circuit is provisioned never display; however, when I power cycle they do.

Currently I can not get the unit to connect and communicate on any Wifi but it appears to be correctly provisioned for the circuit and charges just fine.

Maybe the unit downloaded a newer rev of the firmware that is causing these problems?

Has anyone else seen similar issues recently?

I posted the following on Tesla's Model 3 forum a few weeks ago. Many times this forum is better with technical issues. If I clear my routers DHCP reservations then reboot, the Wall Connector gets an IP address on my home Wifi but can NOT be pinged nor does the Web Server respond. The provisioning SSID is always being broadcast but I always get a bad passphrase error when trying to connect.

I purchased and successfully provisioned my Tesla Gen 3 Wall connector about a month ago. I connected to the Web Server via the configured IP address a few times a week to see if there were any firmware updates. A few days ago I noticed the top green LED pulsating which indicates the unit is ready to be provisioned.

Since the Wall Connector was not reachable over the network I performed the following.

1. Power cycled after which my router showed it connected to a different IP address. Still could not ping or connect to the Wall Connector web server.
No matter what I do the SSID TeslaWallConnector_xxxxx is always broadcasting.
2. When I try to connect to the provisioning SSID, I always get bad passphrase returned. I manually entered the passphrase and used the QR code same results.
3. Power cycled several more times and sometimes the top green LED is solid sometime pulsating.
4. When I hold down the wand button for several seconds, the LED's that indicate how the circuit is provisioned never display; however, when I power cycle they do.

Currently I can not get the unit to connect and communicate on any Wifi but it appears to be correctly provisioned for the circuit and charges just fine.

Maybe the unit downloaded a newer rev of the firmware that is causing these problems?

Has anyone else seen similar issues recently?

Hello - did you find anything out on this issue? I am experiencing something very similar. Thanks!

I'll give you the same answer as I gave the other guy.

You will need to contact Tesla to resolve your issues with the bad passphrase and QR code, as well as the issue with the light pulsating.

They do have a phone number somewhere.

Tesla Motors Phone Number | Call Now & Shortcut to Rep

My wall charger is working fine. I just don't find that the charger is on my wifi at all. It was on my network cause I was able to finish setup and everything on it.

Hello - did you find anything out on this issue? I am experiencing something very similar. Thanks!

I reported this along with the hardware 3 upgrade as two of four line items on my last Ranger visit. I was told Tesla Rangers were not currently trained to install the HW3 in the field and do not handle Wall Connector problems. I was told to use the Smartphone app to report the Gen 3 Wall Connector problem and request help from the Energy department. Since I was planning a vacation and the Wall Connector still functioned to charge the car, I have not yet requested help from the Energy division of Tesla but I plan to do so soon.

Hi this is Tesla, We have received your charging concern. If the problem is with a wall mounted unit and you are still able to charge with the portable cable please cancel this service visit and call the Tesla Energy team at 650-681-6133.Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!

I called the number, the tech verified the problem and Tesla is shipping a replacement unit and a shipping label to send the defective unit back.

See my previous posts in this thread for the history. I received the replacement Wall Connector and found it had the same problem; however, i found out that if the WiFi that successfully provisioned the unit on the first configuration attempt is turned OFF allows connection to the WC local configuration SSID again and enables the button on the wand. This does not fix the problem but it does allow access to WC local WiFi SSID again. The problem seems to be a timing problem with the DHCP handshake protocol between my router and the Gen 3 WC and not signal level etc. In the failed mode the WC appears to ask for an IP address as the lease time is reset on the router but the status shown is offline. My Linksys Model WRT3200ACM router has worked with every WiFi device used to date except for this WC. The router has the latest manufacture supplied firmware installed that it had when I purchased it 3 years ago. Tesla indicated a later firmware update would hopefully fix this problem. In my opinion, the WC should never get in a state where local access is not possible. Fortunately, I decided to try turning off the 2.4G radio on my router or the problem would still exist.

Hope this information helps someone!
Regards, Ron

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
See my previous posts in this thread for the history. I received the replacement Wall Connector and found it had the same problem; however, i found out that if the WiFi that successfully provisioned the unit on the first configuration attempt is turned OFF allows connection to the WC local configuration SSID again and enables the button on the wand. This does not fix the problem but it does allow access to WC local WiFi SSID again. The problem seems to be a timing problem with the DHCP handshake protocol between my router and the Gen 3 WC and not signal level etc. In the failed mode the WC appears to ask for an IP address as the lease time is reset on the router but the status shown is offline. My Linksys Model WRT3200ACM router has worked with every WiFi device used to date except for this WC. The router has the latest manufacture supplied firmware installed that it had when I purchased it 3 years ago. Tesla indicated a later firmware update would hopefully fix this problem. In my opinion, the WC should never get in a state where local access is not possible. Fortunately, I decided to try turning off the 2.4G radio on my router or the problem would still exist.

Hope this information helps someone!
Regards, Ron
I am having the same issues. I use an Eero mesh network and have enabled only 2.4, however that still has not worked. I am. on my second WC from Tesla

I had to disable WPA3 (or set up a guest network without WPA3 enabled) on my router in order to get the Gen 3 Wall Connector to connect. I had originally had the router configured for WPA2/3.

I am having the same issues. I use an Eero mesh network and have enabled only 2.4, however that still has not worked. I am. on my second WC from Tesla

These responses were helpful. Our new house has a different brand of mesh network, and I initially connected the Gen 3 HPWC to that wifi network. It connected for a second, but dropped off immediately. I then went out and re-did the setup (holding button for 5 seconds), and changed the Wifi to the non-mesh that is in our fiber gateway -- thinking that there was something odd with either WPA3 or the mesh network, so trying the different Wifi access might help. That worked and the HPWC is still connected, and has updated firmware already.

But... when I bring up the wall connector web page, it's showing a yellow circle at the top and saying "partially configured". I've re-run the wizard a few times and that doesn't go away. Its set for the 60A breaker and the correct wi-fi settings, and the summary page says setup was successful. Any thoughts? Just don't worry about it perhaps?

But... when I bring up the wall connector web page, it's showing a yellow circle at the top and saying "partially configured". I've re-run the wizard a few times and that doesn't go away. Its set for the 60A breaker and the correct wi-fi settings, and the summary page says setup was successful. Any thoughts? Just don't worry about it perhaps?
Others have said that in order to get rid of the "Partially Configured" message, you have to choose some other setting than 60A, then change it back to 60A and save it. Then it will say "Fully Configured".

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Others have said that in order to get rid of the "Partially Configured" message, you have to choose some other setting than 60A, then change it back to 60A and save it. Then it will say "Fully Configured".

Thanks... But now I'm not able to change the circuit breaker setting.

When I do into the "Set Circuit Breaker" screen, it brings up a warning saying:
Tesla Wall Charger internal site said:
Tesla Wall Charger internal site said:
This setting is based on the connection inside an electrical panel on this property and should only be changed by qualified personnel.

I can Continue or Close... Continue takes me to the breaker selection page. Selecting any other option other than what is already selected (60A, which is the correct breaker...) brings up another message saying "Forbidden" and "Error Unable to Save Configuration". Only choice is to go back...

I guess I won't worry about it for now...

I’m having the issue where the internal SSID isn’t being broadcast and my Gen3 charger is stuck at 6A (that’s what car is showing). Tried turning off the router where I had initially configured the wall connector. Even power cycled the wall connector multiple times. But no-go. The internal SSID doesn’t broadcast at all.

is there a way to hard reset the device?

I had to disable WPA3 (or set up a guest network without WPA3 enabled) on my router in order to get the Gen 3 Wall Connector to connect. I had originally had the router configured for WPA2/3.

I have an Eero network, and was unable to join WiFi until I disabled WPA3. Once disabled (via the discover, Eero Labs tab) it joined straight away. I did not need to disable or adjust any other settings.

Tim

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and HotIce
I have an Eero network, and was unable to join WiFi until I disabled WPA3. Once disabled (via the discover, Eero Labs tab) it joined straight away. I did not need to disable or adjust any other settings.

Tim

THANK YOU! You just solved my problem. I have three second gen Eero Pro's and my Wall Charger would connect and then disconnect over and over again. Disabled WPA3 and it connected flawlessly.

Last edited: