Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which direction should Tesla go as a company?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The world has changed from the early days of the automotive industry. When I was born, there were people alive who remembered the invention of automobiles. Today everybody takes them for granted. No longer is association with a race driver necessary for the success of a car or car company. I'll bet that not one out of a hundred people you approach on the street know who Louis Chevrolet is, or that the Chevy name came from a racer. I sure didn't, until I read spatterso911's post above.

Fifty years ago an individual could make an invention in his garage and turn it into a company with a chance of success. Today it takes teams of engineers and hundreds of millions of dollars, and car buyers want economy, or style, or a car that fulfills some fantasy. A brand-new invention may come up in the old way, but the automotive industry is mature and there is no need for a car company to build a fantasy car. (E.g. a race car so expensive nobody but a multi-millionaire can afford it but people can pretend they own one when they're driving the same company's family car.)

The Roadster served its purpose: It showed what an electric car can be, at a price that they could sell 2,500 of them. There's no reason for Tesla not to build another, once they have the resources, but there's no need to, and it would be counterproductive to divert resources from their push towards an affordable car at this time.

That's the bottom line: To get to an affordable mass-market EV as quickly as possible, Tesla is much better off with its present plan, than if it diverted limited resources to building a super car. Once they are producing affordable EVs as fast as they can sell them, in enough styles, sizes, and ranges to satisfy the market, then they can put some engineers to work back in the performance sports car or racing car niche. It's a question of priorities and timing. This is not yet the time for another Roadster.

The Roadster served its purpose: It showed what an electric car can be, at a price that they could sell 2,500 of them. There's no reason for Tesla not to build another, once they have the resources, but there's no need to, and it would be counterproductive to divert resources from their push towards an affordable car at this time.
If they had the chassis then Tesla could have sold tens of thousands of Roadsters especially if they had resourced improvements like 300+ miles range and AC/DC fast charge which are possible TODAY. It is lunacy to suggest that racing and performance cars are not important. If I ask my 15 year old son what car he wants it's a Bugatti Veyron because he's grown up in the "Top Gear Age".

Tesla have chosen their path and we must all wait to see whether they can survive long enough to turn a profit... whether they do or don't I know lots of performance EV's will be released to market. Possibly more challenging for Tesla would be a Renault ZOE with a 200 mile range after market battery (in the US replace Renault with your high volume, low cost car maker of choice).

At what price point could Tesla sell tens of thousands of Roadsters with a 300 mile range? I'd say the price would have to be around $50-70k to move that kind of volume so that wouldn't be possible for Tesla to make much of a profit given battery costs.

At what price point could Tesla sell tens of thousands of Roadsters with a 300 mile range? I'd say the price would have to be around $50-70k to move that kind of volume so that wouldn't be possible for Tesla to make much of a profit given battery costs.
I think they could have easily increased the price because lots of people value those two improvements and the Tesla brand. Tesla don't make a profit today and if you remember the improved Roadster was only one from my multi-car scenario.

If they had the chassis then Tesla could have sold tens of thousands of Roadsters especially if they had resourced improvements like 300+ miles range and AC/DC fast charge which are possible TODAY. It is lunacy to suggest that racing and performance cars are not important. If I ask my 15 year old son what car he wants it's a Bugatti Veyron because he's grown up in the "Top Gear Age".

Tesla have chosen their path and we must all wait to see whether they can survive long enough to turn a profit... whether they do or don't I know lots of performance EV's will be released to market. Possibly more challenging for Tesla would be a Renault ZOE with a 200 mile range after market battery (in the US replace Renault with your high volume, low cost car maker of choice).
Oh well, might as well contribute to your persecution complex... (- insert extremely dark humor about where such a facility might be located -)

1) I wouldn't mind a free Bugatti Veyron either. For about a month. Then I'd sell it and buy something useful like a vacation home in the Alps. :wink:
2) "If they had the chassis then..." ... They didn't have the chassis. They are developing the chassis now. You just disagree with the chassis they started with.

The battery capacity when they first started with the Model S chassis was bad enough that the frunk didn't originally exist. It was space for more batteries so the 300+ mile range could be reached. On a much larger platform that the Roadster.

They went aluminum probably because the Lotus chassis takes a lot more hand crafting to complete. All that carbon fiber.

It is also lunacy to suggest that a significant portion of some lesser known races, for whatever reason, contribute significantly to lower-end car purchasing decisions. Ford Focus? Really? But I'll bet ya that the Ford Focus has won more races than the Bugatti Veyron. Saayyy... Bugatti has a large racing team wut? But their owners, the very successful VW, have a large racing teams: Audi does very well in marketing with their racing team, so that counts for VW since Audi is VW's premium brand. Porsche, Ducatti... also VW.

The lesson I'm getting from the VW group is focus within a brand. If the brand isn't given a huge marketing budget, then it doesn't have a racing team.

The battery capacity when they first started with the Model S chassis was bad enough that the frunk didn't originally exist. It was space for more batteries so the 300+ mile range could be reached. On a much larger platform that the Roadster.
Sorry, but it's perfectly possible to produce a 300 mile range battery in the current Roadster envelope using latest chemistry. I'm currently working on a number of battery options for my Roadster.

They went aluminum probably because the Lotus chassis takes a lot more hand crafting to complete. All that carbon fiber.
I don't understand that comment... the Roadster Chassis is an Aluminium composite with Carbon Fibre body work... where is this relevant to the discussion?

The lesson I'm getting from the VW group is focus within a brand. If the brand isn't given a huge marketing budget, then it doesn't have a racing team.
You need to re-read my original wish list. In that I suggested that Tesla would have a race team which would benefit them both in terms of technology and exposure. You will also see that I proposed everything from an enhanced Roadster, to a super car, to a mainstream car built on an existing mule. Part of my argument was based on the fact that Tesla have never built a car from the ground up and I want them to succeed not bet everything on a single platform. We have yet to see whether they can deliver a Model S at the reliability and quality levels required by a car in this price bracket.

Well that's a buzz kill. Now we just have to sit in silence as Tesla proves Kevin wrong, the same way a number of other successful car companies have already.... :biggrin:
I hope Tesla prove me wrong... just because I don't agree with the path they have chosen doesn't mean I don't want them to succeed.

Lets wait and see what happens once they have delivered more than 12 cars and we start getting real journalist and end use reviews of the Model S.

Ok, lets take this down a notch and refrain from describing other people's reasonable opinions as lunacy.
We use the word "lunacy" to mean silly not mentally ill. Therefore, I think its a perfectly reasonable response given the suggestion that motor racing is irrelevant. I suspect this is a anglo-us language difference much like the way you folks are currently corrupting the word "dope".

Last edited:
Sooooo ... it looks like everyone has made their point today?

Here's the good news, as I read through all this: While we're disagreeing on HOW to get to the end goal, everyone appears to be in agreement on the overall goal. And I think we can all agree that there typically is more than one way to get something done. Anyone here not want EVs to succeed? No? Cool.

We use the word "lunacy" to mean silly not mentally ill.

lu·na·cy [loo-nuh-see] noun, plural lu·na·cies.
  1. insanity; mental disorder.
  2. intermittent insanity, formerly believed to be related to phases of the moon.
  3. extreme foolishness or an instance of it: Her decision to resign was sheer lunacy.
  4. Law. unsoundness of mind sufficient to incapacitate one for civil transactions.

Most people would take it to mean extreme foolishness at best, insanity at worst. "Silly" is pointed enough as it is; "lunacy" takes it to another level.