Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Energy Rate Option should I pick for my Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NVEnergy is our energy supplier in Nevada. They offer an "Off Peak Time of Use Rate" option for individuals with EV vehicles. Basically, they charge you more during peak hours of the day, and cheaper rates at night for the summer months. Obviously, we use have large bills in the summer months for our AC needs. The upside is that charging my X at night would be nearly free. Check out the link which shows the two different options I have to choose from. I am leaning towards Option B as we could adjust our energy usage for that shorter period of time when rates are high, and its only for July and August, vs Option A which is June - Sep. Thoughts?

My Electric Vehicle Rate | NV Energy

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

NVEnergy is our energy supplier in Nevada. They offer an "Off Peak Time of Use Rate" option for individuals with EV vehicles. Basically, they charge you more during peak hours of the day, and cheaper rates at night for the summer months. Obviously, we use have large bills in the summer months for our AC needs. The upside is that charging my X at night would be nearly free. Check out the link which shows the two different options I have to choose from. I am leaning towards Option B as we could adjust our energy usage for that shorter period of time when rates are high, and its only for July and August, vs Option A which is June - Sep. Thoughts?

I think you are correct to choose option B.

Even leaving aside for the moment the one less hour of peak time with B, the two fewer months of peak time would seem to me to more than make up for the higher peak rate during the 2:00 to 7:00 PM time period. You're paying 14 cents per hour more with B, during those two months. But with the other plan you'd be paying 30 cents more per hour for four months. Unless your usage during those two months is going to be much, much higher than they two months included in A, I think b is the way to go.

And, of course, make sure to set the charge time on your Tesla to only charge at the off-peak times.

Good luck!

Hmmmm, I looked at this and we are also in Nevada. I guess your situation would also depend on what is happening during the day such as anyone at home where more air conditioning is used. You know it gets really hot out here in the summer.

We chose to just stay on the flat rate of 8 cents all the time which is among the lowest in the nation. Then we don't have to worry about not turning on the air conditioning on a summer day as that can sky rocket the monthly bill very quickly in the summer. We charge any time we need. I'm not sure if you would benefit with option A or B. In our situation the flat rate is best, but I realize it is an individual situation with a lot of variables for each home.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Swift
We've been on a time of use and peak demand rate for about 25 years now. We use a load controller to limit our peak demand and energy usage from 12p to 7p weekdays. It saves about 50% over the normal rate, according to our bill at least. Our X will be charging after 7p, at about $0.045/kWh. I like our rate plan, but calculate your usage and see if it would work OK for you.

You may be able to get very good info on which to base your decision. If NV Energy is as helpful as SCE, you can call and have them compare usage data of certain representative weeks from the past year of service to compare the cost under your existing rate plan vs what it would have been under TOU. Choose summer, winter, fall and spring weeks to get a reasonable annual comparison. For me, without AC, it turned out that TOU would have been slightly cheaper than tiered rates; possibly not so for you.

Beware of the Basic Monthly Service Charge: for Option A it's $12.75 and for Option B it's $33.60. This was the deciding factor for me since my non-Summer monthly bills are often lower than $33.

I chose Option A since I don't mind the Jun-Sep = Summer plan, but I admit I'm not a typical case. I own a well-insulated 2 bedroom / 2 bath townhouse and I'm able to turn off my A/C during the 2p-7p Summer hours. On an average 111º day my inside temp will rise from ~76º @ 2p to ~82º @ 5p. At that point I generally head out to dinner (who cooks in Vegas? :rolleyes:) and I return around 7p when the A/C kicks in again.

I've been thinking about time of use myself, and wondered about something like the Powerwall. Has anyone tried whether it'll be able to shift all the on-peak energy use to the battery and charge it off-peak? Rough guess on what the payoff period is?