Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model X to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MDR SEA

15 MS 85D, 16 MX 90D, 23 MY, Retired ICE Wrench
Dec 29, 2016
Pac NW
Hello fellow owners,

I'm looking to add a Model X to our fleet and I'd like to get some feedback from those who have been there/ done that.
My daily driver is a MS 85D which we will be keeping.
I do a lotta hiway travel so the range and supercharging for life is essential.

I'd like to get anyone's (everyone's) opinion on -
1. 2016 vs 2017 - supercharging, 2nd/3rd row seating?
2. 75D vs 90D vs 100D? The "230 mi range" of the 75D dosen't scare me. Should it?
3. Anything else?

Thanks for any insight.
Cheers
MDR

Hello fellow owners,

I'm looking to add a Model X to our fleet and I'd like to get some feedback from those who have been there/ done that.
My daily driver is a MS 85D which we will be keeping.
I do a lotta hiway travel so the range and supercharging for life is essential.

I'd like to get anyone's (everyone's) opinion on -
1. 2016 vs 2017 - supercharging, 2nd/3rd row seating?
2. 75D vs 90D vs 100D? The "230 mi range" of the 75D dosen't scare me. Should it?
3. Anything else?

Thanks for any insight.
Cheers
MDR
While I am aware that Tesla constantly makes changes to their cars over the months (and weeks), I’m not aware of any huge differences between a 2016 and a 2017. They did improve some of the switchgear in mid 2017 as well as grouped certain options. Autopilot 2 vs AP1 is a big difference although the software currently running has not made the capabilities of 2.0 or 2.5 evident.

I’ve driven several Model X’s in 2016 and 2017. The driveability is about the same. Newer cars have an all leather dash vs suade and leather. Some models have adaptive headlights when backing up and turning. While many have said the feature is useless, compared with the adaptive headlights in the Model S, the lights in the Model X are superior. I actually really like how bright they are and how well they work compared with S.

90D’s are a really great car. The 75D is excellent provided you don’t plan on going for extended, cold weather, highway speed trips often. While the number of Superchargers is doubling across the country, when you follow Tesla’s daily recommended charging guidelines of “up to 90 percent”, that 230 miles is more like 207 “rated”. If you’re using the heater, plan on that number being closer to 170. If you plan on towing anything, the number will be even lower.

My wife and I have both a MS and MX. The Model X is waayyyy more thirsty than my Model S. There is more weight and, even when not pushed hard, that car burns a lot more power. As a commuter vehicle, the range should not be a problem.

When looking at performance, there is very little difference between the 75D, 90D and 100D. I just drove another 75D last night with the performance upgrade “uncorking.” That car ran really well and was significantly better than the Jun 2016 75D I drove for two weeks over the Summer. Hardly a noticeable difference between the 75D and 100D now. The 90D is right there with it. Actually, my brother has decided to order a 75D because it is so similar to the 100D. The biggest difference being 60 miles less range at a savings of $17K.

One other consideration would be that the newer cars got the new synthetic seating material in cream and black. Unlike the leather from the earlier cars, this material seems to wear much better. It’s also easy to clean. The white seats have been available since launch. However, the newer cars did away with the perforated material and seat coolers which didn’t work anyway. I much prefer the solid surface.

Again, Tesla is constantly making changes to their cars. In fact, I learned today that the Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 camera on the side has five different versions based upon vin. Moreover, if you try using the wrong part, it will fit but it won’t work even though they all seem to look identically the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: Blup85 and Dax279
...The "230 mi range" of the 75D dosen't scare me. Should it?

Range is King in my book. I would choose a longest range because it can give me a flexibility of which Supercharger I would use in case 1 or 2 of them are all filled up.

It might not be a problem right now but wait till all those Model 3 will be cranked out massively.

While I am aware that Tesla constantly makes changes to their cars over the months (and weeks), I’m not aware of any huge differences between a 2016 and a 2017. They did improve some of the switchgear in mid 2017 as well as grouped certain options. Autopilot 2 vs AP1 is a big difference although the software currently running has not made the capabilities of 2.0 or 2.5 evident.

I’ve driven several Model X’s in 2016 and 2017. The driveability is about the same. Newer cars have an all leather dash vs suade and leather. Some models have adaptive headlights when backing up and turning. While many have said the feature is useless, compared with the adaptive headlights in the Model S, the lights in the Model X are superior. I actually really like how bright they are and how well they work compared with S.

90D’s are a really great car. The 75D is excellent provided you don’t plan on going for extended, cold weather, highway speed trips often. While the number of Superchargers is doubling across the country, when you follow Tesla’s daily recommended charging guidelines of “up to 90 percent”, that 230 miles is more like 207 “rated”. If you’re using the heater, plan on that number being closer to 170. If you plan on towing anything, the number will be even lower.

My wife and I have both a MS and MX. The Model X is waayyyy more thirsty than my Model S. There is more weight and, even when not pushed hard, that car burns a lot more power. As a commuter vehicle, the range should not be a problem.

When looking at performance, there is very little difference between the 75D, 90D and 100D. I just drove another 75D last night with the performance upgrade “uncorking.” That car ran really well and was significantly better than the Jun 2016 75D I drove for two weeks over the Summer. Hardly a noticeable difference between the 75D and 100D now. The 90D is right there with it. Actually, my brother has decided to order a 75D because it is so similar to the 100D. The biggest difference being 60 miles less range at a savings of $17K.

One other consideration would be that the newer cars got the new synthetic seating material in cream and black. Unlike the leather from the earlier cars, this material seems to wear much better. It’s also easy to clean. The white seats have been available since launch. However, the newer cars did away with the perforated material and seat coolers which didn’t work anyway. I much prefer the solid surface.

Again, Tesla is constantly making changes to their cars. In fact, I learned today that the Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 camera on the side has five different versions based upon vin. Moreover, if you try using the wrong part, it will fit but it won’t work even though they all seem to look identically the same.

Thanks Chad,

Lotsa info there.
What are your thoughts on the different 2nd and 3rd row seating options?
The early 2016 X came with only the 7 seat option wherein the 2nd row seats wouldn't fold flat.
Later 2016 models came with 5 seat option with the 2nd row folding flat.
Was told by OA that these are more coveted on the pre-owned market.
Dunno if I'll ever need all that flat space so I thought I'd ask.
What year and battery size are your rides?
Thanks
MDR

I had a Model S 70D and have an X 100D. Never an issue with the 70, but the 100D gives so much flexibility. Range anxiety is gone. The later the model is built the generally more updated it is and the more reliable.

Thanks Chad,

Lotsa info there.
What are your thoughts on the different 2nd and 3rd row seating options?
The early 2016 X came with only the 7 seat option wherein the 2nd row seats wouldn't fold flat.
Later 2016 models came with 5 seat option with the 2nd row folding flat.
Was told by OA that these are more coveted on the pre-owned market.
Dunno if I'll ever need all that flat space so I thought I'd ask.
What year and battery size are your rides?
Thanks
MDR
The Model X we drove last night was a 5-seater. In comparing the different configurations, the 5-seater saves $6K versus the 6-7 seat configurations. I was also impressed with the good comfort of the 2nd row in the 5-seater as it has a nice recline feature. The biggest benefit I see to the 5-seater is that the cargo area is well contained and the "bench" configuration of the 2nd row acts like a wall to prevent stuff in the cargo area from being thrown forward into the seating area (as is the case with the 6-seater). While the 7-seater would offer the same benefit as the 5-seater in terms of isolating cargo, the 5-seater has the added benefit of in-floor storage fore of the larger in-floor storage area seen in all of the models. This additional storage area is made possible with the omission of the 3rd row flat-folding seats.

In looking at the 7-seater, there are a couple of key features not found on the 5-seater. The first is the fact that the second row seats slide back and forth versus a fixed position in the 5-seater. While this is primarily intended to allow access to the 3rd row, it also serves as a fringe benefit.

Another benefit of the 7-seater (and 6-seater) is the fact that it has a separate rear seat climate system with additional ventilation. This system is controlled from the MCU in front along with the dual-zone front climate control. The 5-seater ventilation is just a two zone system like the Model S.

IF, a 3rd row is important to you, my wife and I discovered that the 6-seater offers the best compromise. You see, with the 7-seater, the third row is very cramped. It's virtually shut off completely from the rest of the cabin. In the case of the 6-seater, you have the very large space between the 2nd row seats that serves not only as a passage to the 3rd row seats, but also as a place to stretch out. I am 6'1". Last weekend, we went for a drive in our 6-seater MX with my wife, my brother, his wife and their two teenage kids to look at Christmas lights. I sat in the 3rd row the entire 75 mile trip with no problem at all. My legs were completely stretched out in the space between the 2nd row seats. Had our MX been a 7-seater, this would not have been possible.

Other key benefits to the 6-seater include the ability to haul long materials (such as 8' boards, etc.) without having to fold down the 2nd row seats. The cabin also feels more open having that space in between the 2nd row seats. In addition, those 2nd row seats are a monopost design that have a ton of storage space beneath them. This additional storage benefit is not as good in the 5/7 seat configurations due to the way the seats mount on a more conventional frame. The monopost seats in the 6-seater intelligently move forward when folding down the 3rd row seats so they don't hit. When accessing the third row seats from the falcon wing doors, the monopost seats are automatic and move forward very quickly, even moving the front row seats forward as needed to make more room. It's very cool how it all works! Unfortunately, having that space between those seats means that your cargo can fly forward if your 3rd row seats are down.

In my experience with the 7-seater I had for 2 weeks, the most uncomfortable seat position was that of the 2nd row middle seat. Because the center spine on the Model X is so substantial - the structural piece in the roofline between the two falcon wing doors - , there is a significant lack of headroom in this position. Perhaps kids would be okay with this. But, I do recall some adults who rode with us commenting on this issue.

My Model S is a Feb 2016 car with a 90kWh pack. My wife's Model X is a Sep 2017 car with the 100kWh pack. We chose the 100 pack on the MX because of our plans to travel cross country during our time off in the Winter. Cold weather and snowy mountain driving conditions in Colorado take a big toll on range. While our experience with the MX 75D we had in California over the Summer was positive, the ideal weather made the range of 185 miles...well...ideal. Also, the car we drove had 42,000 miles on it. I think the decreased range had something to do with inevitable battery degradation which can be expected.

I could have probably worded this a little better. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for your questions!

• Helpful
Reactions: Scott_L and Blup85
The Model X we drove last night was a 5-seater. In comparing the different configurations, the 5-seater saves $6K versus the 6-7 seat configurations. I was also impressed with the good comfort of the 2nd row in the 5-seater as it has a nice recline feature. The biggest benefit I see to the 5-seater is that the cargo area is well contained and the "bench" configuration of the 2nd row acts like a wall to prevent stuff in the cargo area from being thrown forward into the seating area (as is the case with the 6-seater). While the 7-seater would offer the same benefit as the 5-seater in terms of isolating cargo, the 5-seater has the added benefit of in-floor storage fore of the larger in-floor storage area seen in all of the models. This additional storage area is made possible with the omission of the 3rd row flat-folding seats.

In looking at the 7-seater, there are a couple of key features not found on the 5-seater. The first is the fact that the second row seats slide back and forth versus a fixed position in the 5-seater. While this is primarily intended to allow access to the 3rd row, it also serves as a fringe benefit.

Another benefit of the 7-seater (and 6-seater) is the fact that it has a separate rear seat climate system with additional ventilation. This system is controlled from the MCU in front along with the dual-zone front climate control. The 5-seater ventilation is just a two zone system like the Model S.

IF, a 3rd row is important to you, my wife and I discovered that the 6-seater offers the best compromise. You see, with the 7-seater, the third row is very cramped. It's virtually shut off completely from the rest of the cabin. In the case of the 6-seater, you have the very large space between the 2nd row seats that serves not only as a passage to the 3rd row seats, but also as a place to stretch out. I am 6'1". Last weekend, we went for a drive in our 6-seater MX with my wife, my brother, his wife and their two teenage kids to look at Christmas lights. I sat in the 3rd row the entire 75 mile trip with no problem at all. My legs were completely stretched out in the space between the 2nd row seats. Had our MX been a 7-seater, this would not have been possible.

Other key benefits to the 6-seater include the ability to haul long materials (such as 8' boards, etc.) without having to fold down the 2nd row seats. The cabin also feels more open having that space in between the 2nd row seats. In addition, those 2nd row seats are a monopost design that have a ton of storage space beneath them. This additional storage benefit is not as good in the 5/7 seat configurations due to the way the seats mount on a more conventional frame. The monopost seats in the 6-seater intelligently move forward when folding down the 3rd row seats so they don't hit. When accessing the third row seats from the falcon wing doors, the monopost seats are automatic and move forward very quickly, even moving the front row seats forward as needed to make more room. It's very cool how it all works! Unfortunately, having that space between those seats means that your cargo can fly forward if your 3rd row seats are down.

In my experience with the 7-seater I had for 2 weeks, the most uncomfortable seat position was that of the 2nd row middle seat. Because the center spine on the Model X is so substantial - the structural piece in the roofline between the two falcon wing doors - , there is a significant lack of headroom in this position. Perhaps kids would be okay with this. But, I do recall some adults who rode with us commenting on this issue.

My Model S is a Feb 2016 car with a 90kWh pack. My wife's Model X is a Sep 2017 car with the 100kWh pack. We chose the 100 pack on the MX because of our plans to travel cross country during our time off in the Winter. Cold weather and snowy mountain driving conditions in Colorado take a big toll on range. While our experience with the MX 75D we had in California over the Summer was positive, the ideal weather made the range of 185 miles...well...ideal. Also, the car we drove had 42,000 miles on it. I think the decreased range had something to do with inevitable battery degradation which can be expected.

I could have probably worded this a little better. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for your questions!

Thanks for your answer.
Sounds like Tesla did alotta thinking and re-thinking on the passenger seating in the X.

If money were no barrier then of course the biggest battery is the way to go. I'm picking up 5 seat 75d tomorrow but ideally I would have got 6 seat 100d. I'm too cheap to buy a 100d, can't believe I'm spending 90k on the 75d.

However, for our driving habits the 75d works perfectly fine, the extra range on the 100d would only save us a few minutes here and there. We don't take long road trips more than once every few years, the rest of our driving is 200-300 mile round trips with plenty of super chargers in California to quickly add 50-100 miles to finish the trip.

I ordered a 6-seat XP100D...I went P simply because I could and it doesn’t really affect Range that much in the X.

In terms of seating, I don’t need all of the storage the fold flat gave, rather I needed more room for people and after trying the 7 seater for two days, including it’s rigid ness and difficulty opening, closing and moving forwards and back for people in the seats, the 6 seater made more sense to us for its ease of moving the middle seats and room for the 3 row passengers. With the lack of the middle seat in the 2nd row there is some Good floor storage and a good place for the Labrador to be while traveling without it being on the seats.

My 3 kids are teens and tall so the 6 seat made more sense. Plus, when I have friends in the car I think the 6 is more comfortable for them too.

Get as much range as you can, compared to my S85D it is definitely a thirstier vehicle.

Reactions: chadcristi
Pardon my presumption, but I think you’ll find that the X becomes your trip vehicle because it is spacious and comfortable, so get the largest battery you can.

Choice of seats depends on what you want to carry. Fold down the third row and put pets in the back? Small, but not too small since you can’t see them, children in the third row seats? Stuff from Home Depot and maybe car camping? Skis down the middle of a six seater?
I have the original seven seater and while I like the idea of the fold-down seats, the times I would’ve actually used that feature in almost 2 years have been very rare.
If you get new, future proof yourself the latest hardware but if you get used, then there’s nothing wrong with AP1.

All good info here, I have a 16 X 75D 6 seater. At the time they did not have the folding second row, but we still like the room down the middle and unless you are not very tall your head room with the 7 or 5 is tight. We live in California so cold weather is not an issue on range and we do not commute so the 75 is good for us. This all depends on your needs and budget.

Reactions: chadcristi