Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which NEMA Adapters to carry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it better to measure charge speeds in amount of energy stored rather than potential future miles driven. The mileage measure is neat, but kind of gimmicky and not particularly accurate. If you're driving low speeds in town then charging might be those higher mph numbers, but if you're driving on the interstate it could be much lower - even half.
Here's a screen shot from TeslaFi for one of my longer chargers.

1627787833422.png

That's basically where I am, even though I do have a varied collection of NEMA adapters (which much to support your supposition, I've only ever used the 5-15 adapter).

I also have a CHAdeMO adapter which I've been using more than going to a Supercharger. Electricity rate for the ChargePoint station near my house is a couple of cents cheaper than the SC.
Yep. I agree with the comments that everyone's needs are different. For J1772, just look at Plugshare and filter by J1772. That is likely going to be way more useful than any of the NEMA adapters, esp. if you never visit a place for hours or days at a time with NEMA 5-15, 14-50, etc.

I've been driving non-Tesla pure BEVs for 8 years. I don't even have ANY L2 EVSE so I can't use NEMA 14-50, 6-50, 10-30 or whatever. I've never needed any of that. J1772 and now CCS (for my Bolt) is sufficient. I've never visited a campground or RV park in my life. I've never been camping and have no plans to start.

Besides NEMA 14-50 and 5-15 (Plugshare has some of these) and whatever a campground or RV park might have, how will find any of the other outlets? If you are staying at someone's home, they'd have NEMA 5-15 and probably NEMA 10-30 or 14-30 for a dryer but what about anything else that would be reachable from where the car's parked?

If Supercharger coverage + J1772 is insufficient, check Plugshare for CHAdeMO and check their scores + recent check-ins to see if a CHAdeMO adapter might be worth it. Charging on CHAdeMO is going to be faster than any J1772, Tesla destination charger or anything that you plug your mobile connector (with adapters) into.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I might go with carrying the included J1772 and 5-15 plus a 5-20, 14-50, and TT30. That's less expensive than the $220 bundle, adds the TT30 option, and gives a good amount of flexibility. In practice, I'll probably rarely use any of it! :)

Good plan. The included J1772 adapter is a must for public L2 charging. Beyond that, it really depends where you are traveling to and where you are willing to charge at. The 14-50 and TT-30 are important for RV parks.

Count me as a big advocate of carrying the 5-20 adapter too. The first road trip my wife and I took with our Model 3, there was a 5-20 receptacle in front of our parking space at the inn we stayed at. I had to use the 5-15 adapter - so charged overnight slower than I could have. If I'd had the 5-20 adapter, the difference would have eliminated a Supercharger stop on the return trip. I've used the 5-20 adapter several times since then.

If you ever want to use a conveniently placed clothes dryer receptacle at a friend or relatives house, you'll want to add either a 10-30 or 14-30. Depends on the age of the house. I've not needed to do this - though I carry adapters for them anyway.

Everybody has different needs. I roam quite a bit and have used 14-50, 14-30, 6-50, 10-50, 10-30, TT-30, and very rarely 5-15. I also have (unused to date) 6-30, Chademo, and 5-20, plus some Y-connectors.

My most useful “adapter” is a 30 foot 14-50 extension cord. Often the outlet is not near where I can park. All my dongles have 14-50 receptacles.
What, no CS6365 connector?

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Where do I buy a CHAdeMO adapter. I’m taking a trip from FL to MN and want to be prepared.
You don’t need it. Supercharger network is all you need. We have done multiple road-trips from GA to NJ without any problems by using only Supercharger network and Overnight Hotel stay with Tesla charger available at the place. Just bring you mobile charger in case you want to charge at your end destination.

Last edited:
Where do I buy a CHAdeMO adapter. I’m taking a trip from FL to MN and want to be prepared.
Plot your course on Plugshare, or use the in-car navigation app. Assuming you are going mostly on through highways, you'll see there isn't any problem. The Tesla network works.

I've driven two round trips Maine to Florida (very different routes), and to Western Ontario, and have yet to use my Chademo dongle. Bring your mobile charger, of course. Ask what your destination has, so you can have the right plug. The 14-50 (electric stove and most campgrounds) is the most common, but some houses may only have an electric dryer (usually a 14-30). Those adaptors are much smaller and less expensive than the Chademo. Many hotels have J plugs.

I agree with WhiteWi, a CHAdeMO adapter is not necessary on that trip. In fact, I don't find them particularly useful in the United States anymore. The Supercharger network is quite thorough, and the route from the furthest point in Florida to the furthest point in Minnesota is fully covered. And the car's built in navigation will make it incredibly simple. In fact, I recommend punching in your destination address in MN while you're sitting at home and have it calculate the trip for you today so that you can think about where you'd like to stop along the way for hotels. You might be able to find some nice options that have EV charging. I use PlugShare to search for that sort of thing. There are lots of options of refining what charging locations it displays. You'll want to zoom in to show all options in an area as it usually only displays a certain number of locations even if there are many more within the displayed area.

Here's the route according to ABRP, which many argue is even more conservative than it needs to be.

1634650264467.png

Five years ago, chademo was relevant because it was a significant percentage of public chargers available where superchargers weren’t. Today, J1772 / CCS chargers are far more available than chademo, and are the best backup to superchargers. Your mobile connector is your backup for your backup. If a third backup makes you feel better, get the chademo adapter from the Tesla store (but, IMHO, you’ll never, ever use it).

Where do I buy a CHAdeMO adapter?
From the Tesla online store. But they are frequently sold out, and I think some people noticed that the link to the page is broken, so maybe Tesla has discontinued it--don't know. Or you could go Ebay.
I’m taking a trip from FL to MN and want to be prepared.
Nah. I concur with the others that there is really no need for it. There is hardly any use for that in the United States anymore. Granted, I did just use mine a couple of weeks ago, because I live near one of the last remaining really big holes in the Supercharger network at the corner of Oregon, Idaho, and Nevada that doesn't have any interstates through there. But generally no need, and especially with Tesla releasing a CCS adapter very soon, which will be much more useful.

Reactions: GSP and doghousePVD
From the Tesla online store. But they are frequently sold out, and I think some people noticed that the link to the page is broken, so maybe Tesla has discontinued it--don't know. Or you could go Ebay.

Nah. I concur with the others that there is really no need for it. There is hardly any use for that in the United States anymore. Granted, I did just use mine a couple of weeks ago, because I live near one of the last remaining really big holes in the Supercharger network at the corner of Oregon, Idaho, and Nevada that doesn't have any interstates through there. But generally no need, and especially with Tesla releasing a CCS adapter very soon, which will be much more useful.

The CHAdeMO adapter is no longer available from Tesla. It has been removed from the store.

I have a TT 30 I’ve used this at camp ground/ RVing and a 5-20 which has been in both homes garages. I see people saying the 15-20 is only a slight bump. It’s 50% faster than a 5-15 which is very noticeable over several hours.

When you have used your TT-30 was there typically a 14-50 plug also available? That's what I have, expecting to use it at campgrounds, but haven't taken the opportunity in the 14 months I've owned the car :D

When you have used your TT-30 was there typically a 14-50 plug also available? That's what I have, expecting to use it at campgrounds, but haven't taken the opportunity in the 14 months I've owned the car :D
Totally depends on the campground. I've seen quite a few with TT-30 only around my area. But, I've only stayed at campgrounds that also had 14-50.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I have four adapters. I’ve only ever used the two that come with the car. And the standard wall outlet is the only one I use fairly often.

I supercharger mostly, but them. Have free charging.

Otherwise I just use the standard wall adapter at home.

I don’t carry an adapters in the car. I’ve never need to use them.

Either way $200+ isn’t much, esp compared to the car. Not a big deal to keep in the car.

I used to have two more adapters but ended up just selling them on eBay after a couple used of never being used, for more than I paid. They do have resale value.

The CHAdeMO adapter is no longer available from Tesla. It has been removed from the store.

Many, but not all campgrounds, have 14-50. Everyplace with a 14-50 has TT-30.

Especially in rural and out of the way places, 14-50s can be very scarce. I always use a filter to search for campgrounds with 14-50s.

I have four adapters. I’ve only ever used the two that come with the car. And the standard wall outlet is the only one I use fairly often.

I supercharger mostly, but them. Have free charging.

Otherwise I just use the standard wall adapter at home.

I don’t carry an adapters in the car. I’ve never need to use them.

Either way $200+ isn’t much, esp compared to the car. Not a big deal to keep in the car.

I used to have two more adapters but ended up just selling them on eBay after a couple used of never being used, for more than I paid. They do have resale value.

Everyone has different usage patterns. While I, too, have free Supercharging, I have used 14-50, 14-30, 6-50, TT-30, 10-50, 10-30, J1772, TT-30 Y to 14-50, and 14-50 Y to 14-50. I often carry another half dozen "just in case".