Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which one would you choose ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I will be a proud owner of a Model S soon.

I am trying to decide between two almost identical P85+.

The first one is fully loaded with absolutely everything and is a Modelyear 2014 with already 68000 miles (all new tires).

The second one is identical without the optional winter package which I don't really care about and kink all the way at the bottom of the front bumper that I would like to repair for optical reasons in case I buy it and in need of new tires soon. This second one is a Modelyear 2013 with 31000 miles.

The price for both s identical, so which one would you choose ? More miles or newer model ?

Can you look, and more importantly sit in both cars? The seats were changed in spring 2014, and you can't tell from the pictures. I find the new seats significantly more comfortable.

I'd also want to know which car has greater battery degradation.

I'll be able to sit in the 2014 high mileage one tomorrow. The did notice that the seats on it do not have the little bit of Alcantara on the side which I think is nicer as it doesn't stain as easy. Also this one has the red calipers and the mirrors tilt (not that it makes a big difference to me)

The Batteries are in great condition on both almost identical.

One thing to mention is that the older low mileage one had a small accident that is on file. Nothing big in a parking lot and someone backed up into it and the grill was damaged and an airbag sensor got hit. I saw the repair bill and it really was only the grill and the airbag that was replaced. No Paint or dents in the hood or so. But the incident is on record when you pull a carfax.

As an purchaser of two P85+s, I need to jump in here.
I was absolutely head over heels in love with my 2014 P85+. I traded in for my 2015 P85+, because I wanted Autopilot.
Now, I love my 2015 ten times more than my 2014, for all the great options the new generation brought:
- Hill Hold
- Auto High-beams
- Summon, AP, TACC, etc.
- Alcantara Dash
- Generation 1.5 seats (much more comfy than the Gen 1 seats on my 2014.
- improved Frunk latching
- better sound isolation
- heated steering wheel
- higher resolution screen
and so on.

But I must stress that AUTOPILOT is a life-changer. I won't go into detail - the forums are full of such AP posts.

My advice? Get a Tesla with Autopilot. You will lose sleep every time they introduce a new feature that your car WILL NEVER GET. Soon, it'll be Stop Sign Recognition, Summon with Turn-by-Turn navigation, etc.

I'd sooner buy a S85, or 70D with Autopilot, than a P85+ without one. Don't worry -they're plenty fast to get you in trouble.
And my last two cars before my P85+ was an M3, and an AMG.

Good luck! You can't go wrong either way.

As an purchaser of two P85+s, I need to jump in here.
I was absolutely head over heels in love with my 2014 P85+. I traded in for my 2015 P85+, because I wanted Autopilot.
Now, I love my 2015 ten times more than my 2014, for all the great options the new generation brought:
- Hill Hold
- Auto High-beams
- Summon, AP, TACC, etc.
- Alcantara Dash
- Generation 1.5 seats (much more comfy than the Gen 1 seats on my 2014.
- improved Frunk latching
- better sound isolation
- heated steering wheel
- higher resolution screen
and so on.

But I must stress that AUTOPILOT is a life-changer. I won't go into detail - the forums are full of such AP posts.

My advice? Get a Tesla with Autopilot. You will lose sleep every time they introduce a new feature that your car WILL NEVER GET. Soon, it'll be Stop Sign Recognition, Summon with Turn-by-Turn navigation, etc.

I'd sooner buy a S85, or 70D with Autopilot, than a P85+ without one. Don't worry -they're plenty fast to get you in trouble.
And my last two cars before my P85+ was an M3, and an AMG.

Good luck! You can't go wrong either way.

Well a 2015 with AP is financially out of the question, therefore I will have to decide between the two....

GJ79:::

Look at both cars and see what you like in each of them. How is the wear and tear on 2014 with lot of miles on it. How much is the battery degradation? Do you have any preference in terms of color, seat etc. ?

How many miles will you be adding every year to either of these CPO cars?

There are many questions to ask.

Personally if I were in your place I would go for 2014.

I will put on between 15-20 k miles a year. I am tending towards the 2014. It's in perfect shape, all highway miles not even any curbrash on the rims. Colorwise I like the 2013 (blue) nicer although it hase beige interior vs the 2014 black has black interior and red calipers.

No chance of AP at 60K right now. I have found the build quality to be much better on the 2014 over the 2013. By orders of magnitude. But that high mileage would be a concern for me. If I had no other choices, I would pick the 2014 for the build quality.

I have a 9-30-14 with AP. I was damn lucky and made it by two days. Not kidding.

If you care about resale, will you hit 100K miles before you sell with the 2014? That 100K is a HUGE psychological barrier to buyers, and things like "electric is different" or "they are highway miles" just won't matter to people. Indeed, there are a lot of relatively lower mileage Teslas out there as many buyers have more than one car (some a LOT more) and so a higher mileage car could take a beating in resale...just saying. 30K could be almost TWO YEARS worth of driving for you. In some ways the 2014 cars w/o AP are in an unfortunate spot...they might cost almost as much as a 2015, but they don't have AP so anyone willing to spend the money for a 2014, might just spend a bit more and go for a 2015. The 2012s and 2013s are the better "deals" right now.