Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which paint color to order- best quality?

Which color should I get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey everyone, been browsing a big, have an order placed for a 3 performance with white interior. Currently went with black exterior but considering switching to white or even grey. Of these choices- what’s the best quality? Who has had them or seen them? What color is the primer below the paint- what color shows through with a scratch? If I stay with black- I’ll be doing a full chrome delete- whereas white- I’d maybe keep it. Grey- I’d have to delete it. Most of the ones I see are black so that’s what I went with. Probably bc it was the free option previously.

hey everyone, been browsing a big, have an order placed for a 3 performance with white interior. Currently went with black exterior but considering switching to white or even grey. Of these choices- what’s the best quality? Who has had them or seen them? What color is the primer below the paint- what color shows through with a scratch? If I stay with black- I’ll be doing a full chrome delete- whereas white- I’d maybe keep it. Grey- I’d have to delete it. Most of the ones I see are black so that’s what I went with. Probably bc it was the free option previously.

Best quality? Who knows. It's paint. I bought mine in white (when it was an add-on charge.) I like white cars; they tend to hide minutia. Matches my last car, and my wife's current car, too. I guess we have a theme.

Pick your poison. Paint quality sucks on Model 3s. I personally would stay away from black as its going to show the most thin spots. White is free for what thats worth although the gray is interesting if you keep it clean enough for the sparkle. I'll vote grey.

Pick your poison. Paint quality sucks on Model 3s. I personally would stay away from black as its going to show the most thin spots. White is free for what thats worth although the gray is interesting if you keep it clean enough for the sparkle. I'll vote grey.

Eh. I don't find it different than any other paint on any other car.... None of them compare to the porcelain on my Weber kettle grill. That baby takes a licking and keeps on ticking ......

Reactions: superfunk
My MSM vin 103xxx was generally fine. I had PPF installed within a few days of purchase and my well known NJ detailer said there were a few small imperfections but overall paint was very good (read: not perfect, but he said no car's factory paint ever is perfect).

Reactions: kunzjob
I'm wondering the same thing. I guess your choice will also depend on where you live and if the car will be protected in a garage much of the time or not and how often you wash it. In Los Angeles we have always had silver cars as these tend to hide the dust and general city grime/smog the best (we tend to not wash our cars that often, maybe once a month). The Tesla Sales rep said the same thing. The Pearl White does seem like an interesting color and a good value. We have seen a few around and in the show room and they look really nice but the ones that were dusty showed the dust. Black looks really sharp but would need a lot more TLC.

Get what you want and put PPF over it -- Tesla paint is notoriously delicate and will scratch very easily. This from someone who doesn't even have a VIN yet LOL

+1

And to answer the poster's question, the primer is light grey (who does that under black paint). I know this because I stupidly drove my car for 2 weeks after I got it BEFORE getting the PPF on the front end. Now I have a 3 tiny chips. I should have known better. Going to drive the Wife's car from delivery to the shop for tint and PPF before it gets screwed up like the black car. Highways in this state are CRAP - rocks everywhere.

Reactions: kunzjob and Stomsf
White is the trend. And since it’s free, why not get it?

At the very least least 1/4 of all cars on my daily route in my neighborhood are white. When I go to drop off/pickup my kid at school, there’s times when there is a line of 5-8 consecutive white cars lol. Especially SUVs, almost exclusively white these days.

At the very least least 1/4 of all cars on my daily route in my neighborhood are white. When I go to drop off/pickup my kid at school, there’s times when there is a line of 5-8 consecutive white cars lol. Especially SUVs, almost exclusively white these days.

White is the second most popular color for cars (generically) today; however, that's not true for Teslas. TeslaFi has a statistics page (I don't think it's accessible to non-subscribers), which is currently reporting the following as colors for subscribers' Model 3s:
  • Solid Black: 999
  • Midnight Silver: 936
  • Deep Blue: 930
  • Pearl White: 655
  • Red Multicoat: 533
  • Silver Metallic: 116
  • Signature Blue: 1
  • Default: 1
  • Silver: 1
  • Red: 1
This shows white as a distant fourth in popularity, at 15.7% of Model 3s; however, given that Tesla has recently changed white to be the default/no-cost color, I expect to see white rise in popularity over the next few months, with a matching drop in black. IIRC, the popularity of colors that TeslaFi is reporting exactly match the price of the color options, at least prior to the recent white/black price changes. Also, TeslaFi's 15.7% of white Model 3s is actually pretty close to the 15% cited for all cars in the article I referenced. Most manufacturers offer more color options than Tesla does, though, so I'd expect that if they'd had fewer non-white colors, there'd be even more white cars.

The article I cited said that silver is the single most popular color, but Tesla's Silver Metallic is pretty rare because it was discontinued in late 2018. I don't know if Tesla's Midnight Silver would be counted as "silver" or "grey" in a cross-manufacturer color survey. Personally, I'd call it more grey than silver.

White is the second most popular color for cars (generically) today; however, that's not true for Teslas. TeslaFi has a statistics page (I don't think it's accessible to non-subscribers), which is currently reporting the following as colors for subscribers' Model 3s:
This shows white as a distant fourth in popularity, at 15.7% of Model 3s; however, given that Tesla has recently changed white to be the default/no-cost color, I expect to see white rise in popularity over the next few months, with a matching drop in black. IIRC, the popularity of colors that TeslaFi is reporting exactly match the price of the color options, at least prior to the recent white/black price changes. Also, TeslaFi's 15.7% of white Model 3s is actually pretty close to the 15% cited for all cars in the article I referenced. Most manufacturers offer more color options than Tesla does, though, so I'd expect that if they'd had fewer non-white colors, there'd be even more white cars.

The article I cited said that silver is the single most popular color, but Tesla's Silver Metallic is pretty rare because it was discontinued in late 2018. I don't know if Tesla's Midnight Silver would be counted as "silver" or "grey" in a cross-manufacturer color survey. Personally, I'd call it more grey than silver.

Maybe then each neighborhood area has their own trend.
In my area, white is definitely the most common car color, especially with SUVs as I mentioned.
Just today at a SC, 5 of the 9 or so Tesla’s were white. I’ll take a picture next time I’m at one.

White on white looks very crisp and nice, but maybe a tad boring. I think both MSM and Black will have issues showing swirls and scratches, obviously with black being worse. MSM you might be able to get away with just PPF on the full front end and A-pillars/rockers but with black I probably would say go PPF on the full car (~$5k). Unless you can wash/polish/dry at the detail shop level, you're going to get some swirls on the black and they just jump out at you. With PPF things are a little more forgiving and while you still should clean it to the best of your abilities and care, light swirls will either be resisted or "self heal" when exposed to heat.

(I have a blue Model 3 with PPF applied about 7 days / 100 miles after delivery to the full front, a-pillars, and rocker panels and it looks pretty darn good, but even still I've picked up a couple light swirl marks on the rear quarter panels and I've gone to great lengths to be as delicate as possible in washing it. Thankfully I don't notice them tooooo much, but once the wallet recovers I'll probably get some paint correction and PPF the full rear of the car and doors)

Reactions: kunzjob

I specifically ordered Red, over Blue, because I thought it would be more rare. Which according to your chart it is. But last week I was driving home from Reno and saw 5 Model 3s, 3 of which were Red. So apparently it's not so rare around here.

Actually I'm starting to see these all over the roads now. More than I ever saw BMWs. (my current car) So I'm going to kind of blend into the crowd once I get the Model 3.

I specifically ordered Red, over Blue, because I thought it would be more rare. Which according to your chart it is. But last week I was driving home from Reno and saw 5 Model 3s, 3 of which were Red. So apparently it's not so rare around here.

Actually I'm starting to see these all over the roads now. More than I ever saw BMWs. (my current car) So I'm going to kind of blend into the crowd once I get the Model 3.

I feel like I see more red Model 3's around me then any other color as well. MSM and black seems to be the rare ones around here. I've seen a decent number of blues, a handful of white, and a bunch of reds.