Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which paint is the thickest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Tesla build site when choosing red exterior it calls it a "multi-coat". None of the other colors are called "multi-coat"
In March 2022, Musk confirmed two new multi-layered colors from Giga Berlin, describing them as a "very special red" and a kind of "liquid silver." Now, we have the official names of these striking colors, as well as official photos and a video that showcase them.

The colors are called Quicksilver and Midnight Cherry Red, and are made from "highly-pigmented metallic paint, designed to change depending on viewing angle & light," Tesla says on Twitter. The company also notes that these colors are made possible by its most advanced paint system yet, which allows for up to 13 layers for depth, dimension and a hand-painted look.

Reactions: kpanda17
Is white the thickest paint option?
Or red?

Just curious which color would be more durable over time.
Cant say ive heard anyone measure the paint or it would honestly make a difference. If you are that concerned wrap with ppf. Even if someone says a certain color is thicker it doesn't mean every car that color is thicker lol. Some of these questions are so out of left field.

Come on, someone do it
1693403716730.png

Reactions: Pianewman
Not sure, but I can tell you the blue is sh!t. Super terrible paint quality, even a spot that was under-sprayed/too thin on my hatch. Worst paint I’ve ever had on a car by far.

That’s unfortunate. The ‘deep blue metallic’ was my first choice for a color. (Actually, pre-ordered a M3, but ultimately went with solid black.) Blue is the one color that shifts hues on various days with more sun or cloud cover. It still looks great on the road, though.

Reactions: mrkalpakkam