Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tire is faster - frivolous debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@iridium 10mm width difference is minimal. I can't imagine it would ever be the defining difference between those tires. The construction differences between those tires are FAR greater, especially compound.

In other words, in any scenario where the SC3R is faster than SC3 when comparing identical sizes, it will still be faster when it's 10mm narrower. That's my armchair guess at least!

For dry racetrack use, if you are properly managing each tire's heat, I would expect the SC3R to be easily quicker in a good driver's hands, up until it wears out sooner (either heat cycled out or worn down).

Wet track days, I've no idea, I haven't read about how well the SC3R does in the wet. Quite possible the SC3 is better in the wet (maybe, don't know, do your own research 🙂).

Edit: For my own money, if I were to get back into track days as a hobby - not racing just HPDE - the SC3 would be at the top of my list for a dual use street + track tire today. And even if I went for separate track wheels, SC3 would be near or at the top of my list as a long-lasting (cheap to run) track day tire. I've heard lots of good things about it, as a good practical tire for hobbyists. I would not bother with SC3R, definitely not for daily driving, and probably not even on dedicated wheels either, unless I became way more experienced than I currently am (having dropped the hobby many years ago).

Last edited: