Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which vaccine did you get?

Which Vaccine did you get?

• Pfizer

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Moderna

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • J&J

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • AstraZeneca

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Sputnik V

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sinovac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. "freedom" is being too loosely thrown around. We are in a collective civilized society. As part of the social compact we owe a duty to each other. This is a world health issue. A question of science. One's personal "feelings" cannot stand in front of science. The one scenario that has not been mentioned is what if too many people decide their personal freedom to assess whether they want to get vaccinated don't and allows the virus to mutate to a point that the current vaccines are no longer effective. One's personal choices cannot trump the benefits of society or well being of others. Do what you want - when it can solely effect you. Once your decisions effect others than society has a right to have some input.
I am getting the Moderna vaccine tomorrow at Walmart. I am doing this more for self-interest than I am for a "duty to society." I am 64, and am close to that high risk demographic. I happened to be walking in the Walmart grocery store and came across a COVID vaccination sign at their pharmacy. I walked right up to inquire, and they told me I could get on a list. Told them my age and they were able to get me scheduled within a week. I would never support the idea of mandating the vaccine onto others. If they choose not to get vaccinated, their risk. They are no threat to me because I'm vaccinated.

Reactions: house9
If they choose not to get vaccinated, their risk. They are no threat to me because I'm vaccinated.

Not everyone can get vaccinated. Some people have compromised immune systems. I agree we shouldn't force everyone to get vaccinated. You should just need to get vaccinated if you want to leave your home and don't have a legit medical exemption. Wanna shop at Wally World w/o a mask? Need a vaccine. Wanna use public transit? Need a vaccine. Wanna work around others? Need a vaccine.

Then there's the possibility of eradicating the virus like we did with Small Pox. Can't do that if there's a reservoir of morons for it to hide in... Would you rather EVERYONE that can get vaccinated get vaccinated and we're done forever OR need to get a booster every X years so some new strain can't slip by and kill you?

Reactions: msm859
I don’t personally know anyone who has died of Covid. I know quite a few that got pretty sick (3-4 months out of work). I do know someone who passed that had similar symptoms but also cancer and they refused Covid tests.

I know three people that still have no sense of taste or smell. Once since April of last year.I don’t get out much, so that’s a fair % of the people I know.

My wife’s a doctor. Her experience matches the stats. Very very small % have died, larger group have ongoing issues, most recover without problems.

Anyway, I do home science keeps improving preventative measures like vaccines and also continues to improve treatments. Things have come a long way since the first few months when nothing was known and there was no real treatment plan. Experience goes a long way in medicine (and life).

Not everyone can get vaccinated. Some people have compromised immune systems. I agree we shouldn't force everyone to get vaccinated. You should just need to get vaccinated if you want to leave your home and don't have a legit medical exemption. Wanna shop at Wally World w/o a mask? Need a vaccine. Wanna use public transit? Need a vaccine. Wanna work around others? Need a vaccine.

Then there's the possibility of eradicating the virus like we did with Small Pox. Can't do that if there's a reservoir of morons for it to hide in... Would you rather EVERYONE that can get vaccinated get vaccinated and we're done forever OR need to get a booster every X years so some new strain can't slip by and kill you?

We were able to eradicate smallpox because there are no non-human reservoirs. SARS-COV-2 exists in non-human animal reservoirs, so we'll never eradicate it.

All the more reason for everyone to get vaccinated, to prevent further outbreaks. Measles was virtually eliminated through vaccination. Then morons like Jenny McCarthy started ranting and got a following, convincing people not to allow their kids to get the MMR vaccine and now kids are dying of measles again. Congratulations, Jenny: You have murdered countless children!

Parents who refuse to allow their kids to be vaccinated are not fit to be parents. They belong in jail and their kids belong with people who will actually care for them. Refusing to get your kids vaccinated is child abuse and should be illegal. And spreading anti-vax lies should be treated exactly the same as shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater. Because the effect is the same: People are killed by anti-vax lies just as surely as people are trampled to death when crowds stampede.

We were able to eradicate smallpox because there are no non-human reservoirs. SARS-COV-2 exists in non-human animal reservoirs, so we'll never eradicate it.

SARS exists in non-human animal reservoirs but I don't think it's been confirmed that SARS-COV-2 does in a way that's easily transmissible to humans. It was was a spillover from some other animal... so was Small Pox. It doesn't necessarily mean the mutation that allows human to human transmission also exists in animal hosts. Small Pox was similar. It was probably a mutation of cow pox that spilled over from cows.

SARS exists in non-human animal reservoirs but I don't think it's been confirmed that SARS-COV-2 does in a way that's easily transmissible to humans. It was was a spillover from some other animal... so was Small Pox. It doesn't necessarily mean the mutation that allows human to human transmission also exists in animal hosts. Small Pox was similar. It was probably a mutation of cow pox that spilled over from cows.

Smallpox is the only disease we've ever been able to eradicate completely. It seems unlikely that we will ever eradicate COVID-19. But we could control it though vaccination, if it were not for the anti-vax morons.

Reactions: nwdiver
I will be getting first available vaccine.

I have friends with risk factors that are working with their doctors to choose a vaccine that minimizes their health risks. A friend who suffers from blood clots will be avoiding the AstraZeneca vaccine for now, for example.

Smallpox is the only disease we've ever been able to eradicate completely. It seems unlikely that we will ever eradicate COVID-19. But we could control it though vaccination, if it were not for the anti-vax morons.

We eradicated Rinderpest and we're SUPER close with Polio. Hopefully the new mRNA vaccines will improve our ability to fight influenza too. It's gonna be interesting to see how long it takes for that to bounce back. The covid lockdown meant it couldn't hop hemispheres like it usually does and flu cases dropped ~99%.

Reactions: daniel
I don’t personally know anyone who has died of Covid. I know quite a few that got pretty sick (3-4 months out of work). I do know someone who passed that had similar symptoms but also cancer and they refused Covid tests.

I know three people that still have no sense of taste or smell. Once since April of last year.I don’t get out much, so that’s a fair % of the people I know.

My wife’s a doctor. Her experience matches the stats. Very very small % have died, larger group have ongoing issues, most recover without problems.

Anyway, I do home science keeps improving preventative measures like vaccines and also continues to improve treatments. Things have come a long way since the first few months when nothing was known and there was no real treatment plan. Experience goes a long way in medicine (and life).
Wife's grandfather died of COVID-19. Wife's an ER doctor. She saw hundreds of covid-19 patients and several who died.

Everyone get your vaccine when you can.

I got the Pfizer. I got it because it was the one being offered to people in my category. (A different site was giving Moderna but only to people in a different category.)

After both jabs my arm was slightly tender at the injection site, but only if I pressed on it. No other side-effects after the first jab. About 30 hours after the second jab (on day 2) I developed a mild chill. I had to put on sweatpants and a t-shirt (which I almost never do in this warm climate). I also got a mild headache. I took an ibuprofen. Two hours after the onset of the symptoms I was back to normal.

I agree with the advice to get whichever vaccine you're offered first. Some people are concerned about the lower reported effectiveness of the J&J vaccine, but that one was tested later, after there were variants in circulation. It's likely that there is no significant difference in the real-world effectiveness of the different vaccines.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 1.47.15 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: thecloud
In the United States, it’s not “deadly” for the overwhelming majority of those who catch it. Fatality rate currently at 1.82%. Said another way, 98.18% of people who contract Covid-19 recover.
From the CDC website as of today:
Total cases in the United States 29,552,459
Total deaths in the United States
I never understand when people try to show the percentages like this. Is 500k dead not a large number? Even at 1.82%, seems pretty deadly to me considering we had to take quite a bit of preventative measures. And for certain portion of the population, that rate is higher... which is who we are trying to protect.

So a question for you, when you say “We have enough information right now to know, categorically, that the risk of any long-term side effect of the vaccine is a minuscule fraction...”. How? We have not had enough testing of these particular vaccines to possibly know, and they are brand new (no longer term use or history) to know what will happen say in a year from now. Legit curious as to why you say We have enough information.
So this contradicts your own statement a bit. We don't know the long term effects of Covid-19 definitively either but studies seem to show that it can compromise your health long term. So to me, it's better to not get Covid-19 at all... which is why you should get the vaccine.

Disclosures: My cousin, a pharmacist, died from Covid-19 in December, just before the first vaccine was approved for usage... 100% fatality rate for her and 100% will mess up the life of her 12 year old daughter. It's just not about how many people actually die from Covid-19, it's also the overall affect of a pandemic on society (how do people quickly forget when hospitals were overrun and non-Covid cases were at risk?).

I got my first shot as soon as I was qualified... I wanted J&J due to convenience but I got Pfizer because that was the one that was available.

Reactions: nwdiver and daniel
We got our second Pfizer shots yesterday. After reading stories here and elsewhere about reactions following second shots, we had prepared for feeling sickly afterwards (had easy food ready to go, Tylenol, etc.). Well, we're both doing fine 36 hours later. Both of us have soreness around the site but that's about it. My wife had none after the first shot and I had some soreness then. I do think the soreness after the second shot is more intense. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt constantly, which would be irritating, but only when I lift my arm straight up, bump it, or lay on it.

Our daughter had fever, chills, and just felt crappy starting around 18 hours after getting her J&J shot. It dissipated after several hours.

Reactions: house9 and nwdiver
We got our second Pfizer shots yesterday. After reading stories here and elsewhere about reactions following second shots, we had prepared for feeling sickly afterwards (had easy food ready to go, Tylenol, etc.). Well, we're both doing fine 36 hours later. Both of us have soreness around the site but that's about it. My wife had none after the first shot and I had some soreness then. I do think the soreness after the second shot is more intense. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt constantly, which would be irritating, but only when I lift my arm straight up, bump it, or lay on it.

Our daughter had fever, chills, and just felt crappy starting around 18 hours after getting her J&J shot. It dissipated after several hours.

I think some of the injection site soreness might come down to the skill level of the person administering the shot. My first jab was done by a surgeon that had been roped into doing injections. Might have been a great surgeon but I doubt he'd done many shots and I bled a lot. So much that I brought a red towel for my second shot just in case. Fortunately a nurse did my second injection that probably does 40 vaccines of all kinds everyday... no bleeding and the soreness was gone the next day as opposed to lasting ~4 days after my first shot.

Reactions: house9
I think some of the injection site soreness might come down to the skill level of the person administering the shot. My first jab was done by a surgeon that had been roped into doing injections. Might have been a great surgeon but I doubt he'd done many shots and I bled a lot. So much that I brought a red towel for my second shot just in case. Fortunately a nurse did my second injection that probably does 40 vaccines of all kinds everyday... no bleeding and the soreness was gone the next day as opposed to lasting ~4 days after my first shot.
I don't know but I'm leaning towards the medicine causing the soreness. Of course, if someone screws up giving the shot then that can factor into soreness! I believe both of my shots were by nurses. The first had excellent technique and I didn't even realize it happened (she applied the antiseptic wipe and then the shot in rapid succession). I felt the second shot a tiny bit but my guess is that it was because there was a delay between the wipe and the shot, plus I was interested in why the first was completely painless so I was paying more attention. I asked the second nurse why it was so painless compared to other shots I've had and she said it was a combination of tiny needles and very little quantity injected.