Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

While I was on AP, a reckless driver Hit and Ran me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivers often do not follow rules of the road (changing lanes in intersection, turning across double yellow, running red light, squeezing a turn in at a red light, etc), which makes full self driving challenging. Fault on truck for changing lane at improper location and not signaling, but fault on Tesla for not manually stopping. You're both at fault. I think all manually driving car drivers would have stopped, honked, get pissed off, let it go, continue on their day. It's like driving down the road, and someone decides to make a left turn out of a parking lot but made a bad decision and started turning too late, and you see that you will hit them because they won't make the turn in time, but you decide to t-bone them because you have right of way even though you could have stopped.

You mean just like if a driver turns left in front of you? I guess it's your fault because you should have stopped when they did that and you didn't.

You mean just like if a driver turns left in front of you? I guess it's your fault because you should have stopped when they did that and you didn't.

That's a good point. If there is video evidence showing you had some reasonable amount of time to react to an obvious misjudgment by the other driver, such as attempting to brake, but instead you kept going (maybe oblivious because you're on autopilot busy texting) or even accelerated I could see the chance the insurance companies assigning partial fault to you.

To be fair, I think the video can be more damaging to the OP's perspective because the video angle is not the same perspective that the driver would see. I'm convinced that many (but not most) drivers not engaged in AP under the same situation could still end up in a collision is because of the A-pillar blindspot. The dash cam is mounted in an obstruction-free area, but the driver has an obstructed view.

From my own experience, I've discovered the A-pillar/side mirror blindspot many times. The fight against it, I've found that engaging your core muscles and moving your torso around a few inches can give you a better perspective especially when it comes to pedestrians and cyclists.

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up
I recently saw a car been pull over by a CHP officer for doing exactly what the truck did.

Not only this truck driver was changinging lane in an illegal situation,
he also forced his way without getting agreement that you will let him pass.

Also the damage to my car is on the side. Not in the front of my car.
Can you show how much damage you had?

Here is a video of a car changing lane in an unsafe way: Driver cuts of police car, instantly gets pulled over

Last edited:
he also forced his way without getting agreement that you will let him pass.

But wouldn't that be impossible since the OP was on AP. I'm convinced that most non-AP drivers would have avoided this collision either by braking earlier to allow the truck to illegally cross the solid lines, list to the right to give more room, close the (in my mind unreasonably large) gap between the Tesla and the car in front, or honked the horn to deter.

AP does not give adjacent drivers an "agreement;" it will respond to its programming.

This is a prime example of why Level 5 FSD will never exist unless ALL vehicles on the road are Level 5 FSD.
I think we'll have level 5 before then, just not 100% crashless level 5. It just has to be (a lot) better than humans to be accepted. Once all vehicles are level 5, we'll stop having those 30,000+ auto fatalities per year in the USA alone (which is freaking insane when you step back from it).

With a double solid white line? That's like crossing a double solid yellow line. It's completely illegal. What he did is worse than left turning in front of you when you have the right away even if there was the possibility of you avoiding the collision.
lol just because he was crossing a line he shouldn’t have doesn’t mean you couldn’t have let him pop in. We all see how this ended and it was easily avoidable. End of story.

My insurance is handling it, they are taking care of getting his insurance to pay for the damages. I am pressing charges for the hit and run, also cops informed me additional violations may be applied to the guy in the truck.

God Bless

Awesome. Great news. The video clearly shows the pick up driver made an illegal lane change.

From the video it seems like he almost hesitated about stopping afterwards but then decided to drive along.

lol just because he was crossing a line he shouldn’t have doesn’t mean you couldn’t have let him pop in. We all see how this ended and it was easily avoidable. End of story.

Yes, most accidents are easily avoidable. What's your point? Most accidents could be "easily" avoided by braking, accelerating, or steering.

It does not in the least absolve the person who CAUSED the accident by doing something illegal.

Glad the OP is letting his own insurance subrogate the claim. The video clearly shows who caused the accident.

Reactions: Ricky
With regards to "why are you dealing with his/her insurance, just call your own company" messages, if diminished value comes up as a possibility, barring a state-specific statue or policy-specific rider, you will likely be dealing with the other company (an uninsured/underinsured claim is usually the only situation where you'd be receiving DV from your own policy).