Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whining and squeaking noises. What’s causing them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, I have noticed that my 2018 Model X P100D is making whining and squeaking noises in multiple areas. The whining seems to be stemming from somewhere in the rear, maybe from the electric motor. It only occurs when I accelerate.

I am also experiencing a squeaking sound from the front passenger side, possibly the wheel well area. It sounds like it could be the upper control arm but I’m not sure. It mainly occurs when I go over bumps or the car tilts forward and back.

Also, when my suspension is raised to the highest height, and I turn the wheel, there is a thumping sound from the wheel when I turn it. This is particularly noticeable when I am backing out of my driveway, which has a small bump at the end, and I am turning the wheel while going over the bump. It sounds like the tire is hitting something, when it goes over the bump, however the odd thing is that the suspension is raised all the way up so it shouldn’t be bumping anything, I would think.

Does anyone have any idea what these issues could be stemming from and how to solve it? I am out of the warranty period and feel like Tesla is going to charge a lot to replace parts for issues that could potentially be a simple fix.

I have noises coming from the front at low speeds, especially when driving over potholes and rough roads in my 2018 MX 100D. No whining, but I bought mine used from Tesla so it is still under warranty at about 64K miles. I have an SC appointment in a couple of weeks and I suspect it is the upper control arms.

Upvote 0
My driver's side started squeaking a few weeks ago right before we were going on a 3000 mile road trip. It only did it on bumps and slower speeds. Or regularly if going slow and turning the wheel. Found the below in the threads that said it was a known issue so much that they are replacing them at fairly reasonable prices.

eQJBvzR.jpg

Upvote 0
I have noises coming from the front at low speeds, especially when driving over potholes and rough roads in my 2018 MX 100D. No whining, but I bought mine used from Tesla so it is still under warranty at about 64K miles. I have an SC appointment in a couple of weeks and I suspect it is the upper control arms.
Ya from what I have been researching, it seems like Tesla has had a lot of issues with the upper control arms and the squeaking noises. I seems like everyone is saying that during the earlier years of MX and MS, the upper control arms did not have a lot of grease where the bearings are. They have started to make newer versions of the control arms with more grease in them that helps with moisture getting in and causing corrosion. Basically the squeaking noise is coming from the bearings being dried out and rubbing; thats what i can gather from my research at least. Luckily your MX is still under warranty so they should cover it. Unfortunately I purchased my MX from a 3rd party dealer in July 2022 so the factory warranty expired. But I’m still covered for battery and drivetrain. Best of luck to you! :)

Upvote 0
My driver's side started squeaking a few weeks ago right before we were going on a 3000 mile road trip. It only did it on bumps and slower speeds. Or regularly if going slow and turning the wheel. Found the below in the threads that said it was a known issue so much that they are replacing them at fairly reasonable prices.

eQJBvzR.jpg
This was very helpful! Thank you for that. I will bring this up with the SC on Thursday when I go for my appt. Much appreciated! :)

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
Re: the sound on backing up and turning - work wasn’t recently done on your wheels/tires was it? If the larger tires from the rear ended up on the front that can cause this noise.
As far as the wheels/tires go, not recently… the dealership I purchased the car from last year, July 2022, had touched up the paint on the rims but that was about it. It really only started happening less than a month ago. Could it be possible that this could happen months after having work done if it was somehow switched? Or would I notice that right away?

Upvote 0
As far as the wheels/tires go, not recently… the dealership I purchased the car from last year, July 2022, had touched up the paint on the rims but that was about it. It really only started happening less than a month ago. Could it be possible that this could happen months after having work done if it was somehow switched? Or would I notice that right away?
Easiest thing is just look at the tire size - front tires should be smaller than the rear - e.g. my 2019 Raven calls for:
Tire Size
(front) 265/45R20
(rear) 275/45R20
(Offset sizing)

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
This was very helpful! Thank you for that. I will bring this up with the SC on Thursday when I go for my appt. Much appreciated! :)
Let me know how it goes. I booked an appt for 4/11/2023 and they are charging me $188 for the diagnosis.
Aside: And charging $314 for the steering wheel button component replacements (both sides) since the rollers stopped working when pushed in & rolled.

HpoNWD3.jpg

Upvote 0