Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

whispbar with cargo box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into the Tesla whispbar mounting racks and cargo box (WB701). Can anyone with experience let me know how useful they find the slim box? Specifically, can you load it with cargo (luggage, dog bed, miscellaneous junk) or is it only good for snow sport equipment? I can't seem to get a good mental image of the sizing/space inside.

Also, if anyone has a picture of a silver model s with either the black or silver whispbar box WB701, I would love to see it. I can't decide what color to get for my Silver S with blacked out chrome. I am leaning towards the black, to accent the now black trim, but the silver box might blend well. Any other opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

-MG

Looking into the Tesla whispbar mounting racks and cargo box (WB701). Can anyone with experience let me know how useful they find the slim box? Specifically, can you load it with cargo (luggage, dog bed, miscellaneous junk) or is it only good for snow sport equipment? I can't seem to get a good mental image of the sizing/space inside.

Also, if anyone has a picture of a silver model s with either the black or silver whispbar box WB701, I would love to see it. I can't decide what color to get for my Silver S with blacked out chrome. I am leaning towards the black, to accent the now black trim, but the silver box might blend well. Any other opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

-MG

I suspect people who have tried this have found that their range drops by 25% or more, so they gave up the idea. Using this combination in cold weather or high winds leads to very long trip times due to excessive time at Superchargers.

The Model S is extremely sensitive to aerodynamic drag increases. Using the bars to carry bare skis can produce less drag, and often driving speeds are low enough in snowy conditions to minimize drag effects.

I got a whispbar and a yakima cargo box. I went for capacity rather than slim as I want to carry a lot of stuff in it. I drove it from Portland Oregon to Vancouver BC and I can't say I noticed a very big difference. Maybe 10-15% which I could have easily compensated by driving slower. If you're interested, this is what I have

Amazon.com: Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Box: Sports & Outdoors

The noise is not too bad with just the whispbar but with cargo box, it's definitely noisy. But I always take it off when I'm done with it so it's not a big deal. I'm planning to go on a ski trip this december so this will be the ultimate test. Cold Weather + Cargo box. Range would probably drop quite a bit more than the 10% I saw when I first got the box during the summer. But I'd rather be able to drag all my stuff than not have space for everything.

Attachments

• IMG_7419.JPG
    IMG_7419.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 297
It is pretty narrow and the mounting channels and lid latches impinge on the capacity. I think on our last trip I had 3 pairs of skis, boots, poles two pairs of snowshoes and two small ski clothe bags.
View attachment 213615 View attachment 213616
Awesome. Thanks man. That is exactly the pic I was looking for. Does the silver cargo box match the silver paint? It looks pretty good in your pics. What's your thoughts on range loss?

I got a whispbar and a yakima cargo box. I went for capacity rather than slim as I want to carry a lot of stuff in it. I drove it from Portland Oregon to Vancouver BC and I can't say I noticed a very big difference. Maybe 10-15% which I could have easily compensated by driving slower. If you're interested, this is what I have

Amazon.com: Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Box: Sports & Outdoors

The noise is not too bad with just the whispbar but with cargo box, it's definitely noisy. But I always take it off when I'm done with it so it's not a big deal. I'm planning to go on a ski trip this december so this will be the ultimate test. Cold Weather + Cargo box. Range would probably drop quite a bit more than the 10% I saw when I first got the box during the summer. But I'd rather be able to drag all my stuff than not have space for everything.
Whoa, that box is a beast. I'm actually amazed that you only see about 10% loss with that. Gives me faith that the slim whispbar box will result in minimal loss.

Doing a search for "cargo box" will turn up lots of differing opinions, with range drops reported from 4% to 33%. Not really very helpful, but you may be able to contact some of the owners for an update.
Ya, I have seen the different range losses posted. It really is all over the place. I expect to see range loss with it, but I might be willing to deal with the loss in return for having access to the Tesla for road trips. Going to outer banks with wife, one toddler and dog. Will def need more cargo space. I would much rather drive my tesla vs taking the Dodge Durango (it's an R/T and actually pleasant to drive, but it is an ICE).

Whoa, that box is a beast. I'm actually amazed that you only see about 10% loss with that. Gives me faith that the slim whispbar box will result in minimal loss.
Yeah, dohmer said "maybe 10-15%" which implies no measurements were taken. I recently did a range test with a Whispbar and Thule Motion XL Limited which is a bit smaller than the Skybox 21, and supposedly designed for lower range loss and my results were a 21% decrease in range. Of course, there are lots of variables, so everyone's results with be somewhat different. I wouldn't expect minimal, but I guess it depends on what you think minimal is.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
Yeah, dohmer said "maybe 10-15%" which implies no measurements were taken. I recently did a range test with a Whispbar and Thule Motion XL Limited which is a bit smaller than the Skybox 21, and supposedly designed for lower range loss and my results were a 21% decrease in range. Of course, there are lots of variables, so everyone's results with be somewhat different. I wouldn't expect minimal, but I guess it depends on what you think minimal is.
20% is what I would expect. Might make winter travel difficult and/or impossible (depending on where/when I would drive). However, with warmer temps (maybe even 3 seasons), it seems reasonable for my road trips (usually bw 250-300 miles). I really do appreciate all the responses.