Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling noise from mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F0BED138-8663-44ED-9DB2-5D4D2835B949.jpeg
From day one owning the 3 (about 30 days), when I go 40 to about 55 mph, there is a whistling noise coming from the drivers side mirror. I have isolated the noise coming from between the chrome and bottom of the mirror housing. While driving, if I place my finger on the edge of the mirror housing to where I am pointing, the whistling stops.

I am guessing the small gap between the chrome and plastic is small enough to cause this issue. There is no noise at slower or faster speeds. Anyone else experiencing this? Trying to figure out how to fit it. Every annoying.

View attachment 389684 From day one owning the 3 (about 30 days), when I go 40 to about 55 mph, there is a whistling noise coming from the drivers side mirror. I have isolated the noise coming from between the chrome and bottom of the mirror housing. While driving, if I place my finger on the edge of the mirror housing to where I am pointing, the whistling stops.

I am guessing the small gap between the chrome and plastic is small enough to cause this issue. There is no noise at slower or faster speeds. Anyone else experiencing this? Trying to figure out how to fit it. Every annoying.
Hi mate. Did you find a solution?

Best regards
Toke

So, just to be sure, the whistling didn't stop because you opened the window?

Did you apply any pressure to that spot, or did you just disrupt the airflow to stop the whistling? If it's just disrupting the airflow, i'd put a piece of tape there, to test it again. If that works, then have to do some more thinking about what to put there to disrupt that airflow permanently.

A closeup picture of that gap, level to the ground would be nice.

I had this early on. Always started at 40mph for me. They wound up popping off the mirror cap and adding some silicone and felt. Others have reported receiving an entirely new mirror housing. In either case schedule an appointment from your app, should be pretty straightforward.

Reactions: Scubadude
I have similar noise while driving through a quiet forest road, at approximately 35-40 mph, on the passenger side because I had those windows down a little bit. It disappears at faster speeds. Not sure if I'm going to do anything about it; I'm sure they are not going to hear the noise when driving on local roads with other cars around.

I have similar noise while driving through a quiet forest road, at approximately 35-40 mph, on the passenger side because I had those windows down a little bit. It disappears at faster speeds. Not sure if I'm going to do anything about it; I'm sure they are not going to hear the noise when driving on local roads with other cars around.

Agree. There seems to be enough people talking about this that it is not an isolated issue. I have not figured out what to do about it. Probably let it go.

I like having the mirrors fold when I leave the car so that is not an option. At $50,000 the mirrors should not whilst and be functional.
*¯\_(ツ)_/¯* Still an option, but sure a trade-off you'd rather not make.

I'm pretty indifferent to the folding mirrors myself. Don't actually like the look when folded but I'm not there so no biggie. Truthfully mine fold because that's how the car came set. Not folding in when not in use doesn't, in any way, impede their actual function. The only real issue is if you're normally parking in very tight confines, mirrors folded in usually make them easier to get around.

Last edited: