TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

White House Petition to Extend EV Tax Credit

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Curt Renz, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

There is a petition to the White House requesting that the EV tax credit cap be extended beyond the current 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer.

Link to the petition: Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

I signed as #1992.

A petition to the White House asking Tesla to be allowed to sell directly in all states was launched in June 2013. We learned about it on this message board two weeks after it commenced when it had less than a thousand signatures. TMC members began signing and telling their friends. The goal of 100,000 signatures was reached within the required 30 days. The White House responded in July 2014

Link to 2014 response: Response to We the People Petition on Tesla Motors | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

I encourage all TMC members to sign the current petition and spread the word.

• Like x 3
  2. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

Lets keep this going

3. mrounds

mrounds Member

4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I like Chelsea Sexton's take on the EV tax credit. It happens at 21:30.

Her take is that the 200K per manufacturer is pooled, so that companies doing a better job at pushing technology forward don't have latecomers taking their shot late in the game to undercut the ones in the lead.

The whole video is quite good though. Watch the whole thing if you have the time.

• Informative x 1
  5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The response seemed not worth the effort of the petition. Are you suggesting the outcome of this petition could be worth the effort? If so, please elaborate.

• Like x 1
  6. Panthers1521

Panthers1521 Member

How many vehicles have used the tax credit? Are we close to the 200,000 vehicle cap?

7. Panthers1521

Panthers1521 Member

8. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

It looks like I'll have to just load up more options to get the credit...poor me. #firstworldproblems

9. Panthers1521

Panthers1521 Member

lol

10. Steve3008

Steve3008 Member

I just wrote my senators and representative asking their position and to consider expanding the 200k cap on full EV tax credit. Please write your elected officials. Urge them to extend the tax credit past 200k. We need to stop sending our $ to oil exporting countries. Additionally It's not fair to tesla Gm and Nissan.

Let's post their responses here.

If their is another thread on this subject can someone please point me in that direction.

11. Steve3008

Steve3008 Member

Whoops I intended to say " we need to stop sending our $ to oil exporting countries that threaten our security."

12. CoastalCruiser

#12 CoastalCruiser, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    A) What is the exact argument to extend the credit, and how long would you have it extended for?

B) Grendal, great video. I too agree with what Chelsea is saying, but it may not make sense to alter the rules midstream as expectations have been set, and feathers will rightfully get ruffled.

Shortly after Chelsea makes he point the gentleman from Blomberg Finance to her left makes a good point by noting that the only 35K plus sedan in the US that sells over 100K of cars annually is the BMW i series. That statistic tends to underscore the need for incentives.

(at the same time I personally am from Missouri on further tax breaks)

13. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Tried to sign today and got this:

"This petition has been archived because it did not meet the signature requirements. It can no longer be signed."

14. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

You mean the BMW 3 Series.

We should eliminate not extend the current scheme.

1-2 Million credits for all manufactures. Make it a race to see who gets more credits.

No credits or very little credits for the laggards.

We are no where near the tipping point so we need incentives right now to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

• Like x 2
  15. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Pff. Good luck with that. Future president trump doesn't even think man made climate change is real. He said its a chinese hoax. Under a trump presidency, expect all green energy support from the government to die, as well as the planet itself.

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you should be aware that the white house, despite what they think, hasn't the power to enact tax laws or extend this tax credit without congressional approval.

• Love x 1
  17. Steve3008

Steve3008 Member

Well I got a call from the Representatives office. They agree it's good to reduce dependency on foreign oil. They are a strong advocate for the keystone pipeline. No commitment for support of EV. I know how to vote now

18. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I don't get it. The Keystone XL pipeline would be filled with foreign (admittedly Canadan) oil.

19. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Read somewhere that Tesla estimates second or third quarter 2018. The way the tax credit is structured, there will be one full quarter after the cap is reached to buy a car and get the full credit. I predict that will be a busy quarter for Tesla. I'm ready to pull the trigger on our second Model S (100d hopefully) in the fourth quarter 2017.

• Helpful x 1