Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White House Petition to Extend EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
White House petition to increase federal EV credit to a greater number of vehicles: Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

am i the only one not impressed by those numbers? M3 reservation holders need to find out about this.

There is a petition to the White House requesting that the EV tax credit cap be extended beyond the current 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer.

Link to the petition: Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

I signed as #1992.

A petition to the White House asking Tesla to be allowed to sell directly in all states was launched in June 2013. We learned about it on this message board two weeks after it commenced when it had less than a thousand signatures. TMC members began signing and telling their friends. The goal of 100,000 signatures was reached within the required 30 days. The White House responded in July 2014

Link to 2014 response: Response to We the People Petition on Tesla Motors | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

I encourage all TMC members to sign the current petition and spread the word.

I like Chelsea Sexton's take on the EV tax credit. It happens at 21:30.

Her take is that the 200K per manufacturer is pooled, so that companies doing a better job at pushing technology forward don't have latecomers taking their shot late in the game to undercut the ones in the lead.

The whole video is quite good though. Watch the whole thing if you have the time.

• Informative
Reactions: CoastalCruiser
Tesla-sales-to-200K.jpg

I just wrote my senators and representative asking their position and to consider expanding the 200k cap on full EV tax credit. Please write your elected officials. Urge them to extend the tax credit past 200k. We need to stop sending our $ to oil exporting countries. Additionally It's not fair to tesla Gm and Nissan.

Let's post their responses here.

If their is another thread on this subject can someone please point me in that direction.

I just wrote my senators and representative asking their position and to consider expanding the 200k cap on full EV tax credit. Please write your elected officials. Urge them to extend the tax credit past 200k. We need to stop sending our $ to oil exporting countries. Additionally It's not fair to tesla Gm and Nissan.

Let's post their responses here.

If their is another thread on this subject can someone please point me in that direction.

Whoops I intended to say " we need to stop sending our $ to oil exporting countries that threaten our security."

A) What is the exact argument to extend the credit, and how long would you have it extended for?

B) Grendal, great video. I too agree with what Chelsea is saying, but it may not make sense to alter the rules midstream as expectations have been set, and feathers will rightfully get ruffled.

Shortly after Chelsea makes he point the gentleman from Blomberg Finance to her left makes a good point by noting that the only 35K plus sedan in the US that sells over 100K of cars annually is the BMW i series. That statistic tends to underscore the need for incentives.

(at the same time I personally am from Missouri on further tax breaks)

Last edited:
Shortly after Chelsea makes he point the gentleman from Blomberg Finance to her left makes a good point by noting that the only 35K plus sedan in the US that sells over 100K of cars annually is the BMW i series. That statistic tends to underscore the need for incentives.

You mean the BMW 3 Series.

We should eliminate not extend the current scheme.

1-2 Million credits for all manufactures. Make it a race to see who gets more credits.

No credits or very little credits for the laggards.

We are no where near the tipping point so we need incentives right now to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

How many vehicles have used the tax credit? Are we close to the 200,000 vehicle cap?

Read somewhere that Tesla estimates second or third quarter 2018. The way the tax credit is structured, there will be one full quarter after the cap is reached to buy a car and get the full credit. I predict that will be a busy quarter for Tesla. I'm ready to pull the trigger on our second Model S (100d hopefully) in the fourth quarter 2017.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones