Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White or Black Interior Poll - Australia

White or Black interior ? If we had a choice..

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this was an interesting article/video. It is from Inside EVs and shows a short clip of the first delivery day in the UK. Have a look at all of cars and how many white interiors... I just don't get the logic of trying to sell $100,000+ cars in Australia with less options than a KIA.
Fully Charged Visits Tesla Delivery Building In London: Video

It looks like all the 3’s have white interior, would be whole batch be based on having that in common?

I’ve been thinking about this, from Tesla’s perspective, and think what they could do is be open about it.

They could say, e.g. ,
"For the first 2 months, we are only delivering black interiors, because of constraints or whatever. You can still order white, theses orders will be filled once constraints on white has reduced in other markets."

Then those who are keen to get an M3 can, and gives others, who really want to order the car they’ve been looking forward to, commit to their preference and just employ more patience. I just don’t see the point in having this crazy rush, why not smooth out the delivery numbers by openly releasing different configurations along a timeline. Wouldn’t it be a better long term business / production decision?

It looks like all the 3’s have white interior, would be whole batch be based on having that in common?

What I'm seeing in that video, is that from the wheel style, ALL those cars were Performance versions. I guess it makes sense to deliver the higher-cost / higher-margin cars first. But the thing that I would like Tesla to take note of, is the very high proportion of white-interiors that their customers have chosen when ordering a Performance Model 3.

This is a very expensive car (particularly in non-US markets) and I think there are a lot of people like me who want the premium interior option to go with the premium vehicle. I sure don't feel like handing over $100,000+ for a vehicle with exactly the same interior as the cheapest available version. Watching that Fully-Charged video tells me I'm not alone. Same options here in AU please @tesla.

the very high proportion of white-interiors that their customers have chosen when ordering a Performance Model 3.
I think Tesla may have been caught off guard by the popularity of white in RHD markets. As you say it makes sense getting the premium interior with the high end model (that they pushed everyone to).

Tesla probably ordered too many black interiors and are now trying to dump them in any new markets they can to clear out old stock. Cash flow trumps everything at this point.

I've cancelled my Model3 orders. Have still got the founders roadster on order but will see what shenanigans await

Limited variation/No white seats for us (well initially anyways..)

From the Tesla first quarter 2019 update:

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/b2218d34-fbee-4f1f-ac95-050eb29dd42f

“Unlike Model S and Model X, we do not build Model 3 vehicles to order. Rather, given its significantly higher volume, we build different variants of Model 3 in batches (including regional versions), and every vehicle that leaves the factory initially becomes inventory.
While in inventory, those vehicles are then matched to a specific order made by each customer. As this was our first quarter delivering Model 3 outside of North America, we faced challenges in ramping our logistics channels and increasing the capacity of our international delivery operations.”

Limited variation/No white seats for us (well initially anyways..)
From the Tesla first quarter 2019 update...
That’s a whole one quarter ago, which is an eternity in Tesla time.

There were a lot of white interior RHDs delivered in the first batch to the UK, so those were only made in the last 1-2 months. We just need to see them come back after the usual USA-centric end-of-quarter nonsense goes away for another 6 months. July/Aug is our best chance to see a change in the RHD Configurator.

Come January, this federal tax rebate farce in the USA will be dead for good and Tesla can just focus on making cars instead.