Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White or Black Interior Poll - Australia

White or Black interior ? If we had a choice..

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, according to this poll result, Tesla are missing out on half of their AUS sales by not offering white interior.

I’d say that’s a reason to reconsider.
Except that some will order regardless of the choice. I would love a white interior, but I’m more infatuated with buying my first EV. If we had an opportunity to modify, I’d definitely do that, and bolster the price / profit for Tesla, and LCT...

it's a sample....if this sample is indicative of the general population of Model 3 buyers that don't know about this poll then that's a hell of a %
Exactly. Most reasonable readers would interpret my comment as an extrapolation of the poll result to the general Tesla-buying population. There is no reason to believe that the subset who post here are a massively compositionally biased sample compared to the wider Tesla buying population.

In which case, Tesla is losing about half its potential Model 3 sales in Australia by not offering the white interior. Even if that is +/- 10% off, heck even +/- 20% off, it’s still pretty significant.

There is no reason to believe that the subset who post here are a massively compositionally biased sample compared to the wider Tesla buying population.
I am not sure about this. As Tesla is not offering the white interior, those who are keen on getting the white interior are more likely to vote to get their message across. The silent majority who want black are less likely to vote.
Looking at other manufacturers’ offerings, I would say majority of buyers go for black/dark colour interior for family cars.

Exactly. Most reasonable readers would interpret my comment as an extrapolation of the poll result to the general Tesla-buying population. There is no reason to believe that the subset who post here are a massively compositionally biased sample compared to the wider Tesla buying population.

In which case, Tesla is losing about half its potential Model 3 sales in Australia by not offering the white interior. Even if that is +/- 10% off, heck even +/- 20% off, it’s still pretty significant.
Problem is we dont know the size of the tesla buying population, nor do we know how many purchased black, even though they prefer white.

Problem is we dont know the size of the tesla buying population, nor do we know how many purchased black, even though they prefer white.
Agree, and not only that, people are able to read all this without becoming a member of this forum. So there’s no way of knowing what the sales would be like until sales begin. As a reservation holder, it would have been nice if Tesla asked what our preference was, prior to ordering, then tailor the possible selections from that "poll".

@rioli33 then something must have changed....firstly I was told by Tesla sales vegan leather didn’t come with perforations (I believe it is now available as of 6mths ago), secondly if they did exist (and the Tesla sales staff was wrong, possible I guess) then the new version is rock solid and doesn’t stain like the version Bjon....

afaik there were issues with wear and tear when the faux leather was perforated for the cooling - as evident by Bjorns seats looking very ragged

Last edited:
I am really disappointed by the lack of white-interior option in Australia.

As a day 1 Model 3 deposit holder, I’ve been waiting over 3 years for this car to become available. I imagine many others are in the same situation. And now, instead of being thanked for our patience (and long term unsecured deposit “loans”) we’re being offered less than those people who didn’t have to wait nearly as long.

Here in Australia we’re already disadvantaged by the AU:US exchange rate, shipping costs, our government’s lack of support for EV incentives, our luxury car tax, the extra delay due to being a RH-drive market… and now on top of all that we’re being penalised by Tesla itself, by way of reduced options.

Some time back I recall Tesla/Elon assuring people that the white seats were their most durable, most premium option. But now they won't let us have it, even on a high-end >$100k Performance vehicle. Why? All these cars are coming off the same production line. They are offering the white-interior to the UK RHD market. Are we just not worth the effort? Was the ship already loaded when the configurator went online?

I would never normally buy a new car. The Model 3 costs over 10 times what I would normally spend on a car. Further, as a premium vehicle, I expect it is likely to depreciate rapidly. Especially considering probable pricing changes into the future, Chinese production, and introduction of the Model Y. And so my intention would be to hold on to it for a long time. I am unlikely to be able to afford to trade it in on a new vehicle a year or two down the track. This would be my car for the next decade.

And with Tesla asking over $100,000 for the car, I really feel I should be able to ask for the same high-spec options as available elsewhere in the world. The Model 3 has a very plain interior, and I really think the performance version at least, needs a little something extra to differentiate it and make it seem like it is worth the amount that it costs. Base-model black does not cut it in my opinion.

I've been a Tesla/SpaceX fan since the Roadster/Falcon1 days, and have been waiting and enthusing for so long for this. But now, finally having the means, and having committed to spent such a huge amount of money on personal transport, I want to get the best that I can.

I know it's a hideously first-world problem, but I'm holding off ordering until the white-interior is available for the P3D.
Otherwise I'll just be constantly annoyed at the dream :-/

Here here- well said.
I was really looking forward to white interior after so many years waiting.. The black interior in the Model 3 at Chadstone didn’t look very high end for a 100k+ car
They could get another few grand out of me if they offer the white interior!

I am really disappointed by the lack of white-interior option in Australia.

As a day 1 Model 3 deposit holder, I’ve been waiting over 3 years for this car to become available. I imagine many others are in the same situation. And now, instead of being thanked for our patience (and long term unsecured deposit “loans”) we’re being offered less than those people who didn’t have to wait nearly as long.

Here in Australia we’re already disadvantaged by the AU:US exchange rate, shipping costs, our government’s lack of support for EV incentives, our luxury car tax, the extra delay due to being a RH-drive market… and now on top of all that we’re being penalised by Tesla itself, by way of reduced options.

Some time back I recall Tesla/Elon assuring people that the white seats were their most durable, most premium option. But now they won't let us have it, even on a high-end >$100k Performance vehicle. Why? All these cars are coming off the same production line. They are offering the white-interior to the UK RHD market. Are we just not worth the effort? Was the ship already loaded when the configurator went online?

I would never normally buy a new car. The Model 3 costs over 10 times what I would normally spend on a car. Further, as a premium vehicle, I expect it is likely to depreciate rapidly. Especially considering probable pricing changes into the future, Chinese production, and introduction of the Model Y. And so my intention would be to hold on to it for a long time. I am unlikely to be able to afford to trade it in on a new vehicle a year or two down the track. This would be my car for the next decade.

And with Tesla asking over $100,000 for the car, I really feel I should be able to ask for the same high-spec options as available elsewhere in the world. The Model 3 has a very plain interior, and I really think the performance version at least, needs a little something extra to differentiate it and make it seem like it is worth the amount that it costs. Base-model black does not cut it in my opinion.

I've been a Tesla/SpaceX fan since the Roadster/Falcon1 days, and have been waiting and enthusing for so long for this. But now, finally having the means, and having committed to spent such a huge amount of money on personal transport, I want to get the best that I can.

I know it's a hideously first-world problem, but I'm holding off ordering until the white-interior is available for the P3D.
Otherwise I'll just be constantly annoyed at the dream :-/