Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White or Black Interior Poll - Australia

White or Black interior ? If we had a choice..

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M
Do you get any stains or discoloration that don’t come off with wiping? I used to have a car with very light cream Nappa leather and it was nearly impossible to keep clean. Maybe the Tesla material being not a natural leather it is more stain resistant?
My father came home with a brand-new EH Holden in 1964, luxuriously equipped with 'genuine vinyl upholstery'. Proved to be unstainable. Seems like Teslas white interior could be similar.

@Momentum1 what's the vinyl spray you mentioned? Got white interior on our X and have just used a damp microfiber cloth, a spray I think would help with a few stubborn marks but was worried about what to use....
I was a little worried using sprays too but I had read that the Tesla Seats weren't true leather and felt something might be better than nothing and the scuff marks were bugging me! Bowden's Own "Vinyl Care" 500ml Spray Bottle - Got it in a Big Bucket of "Bowden's Own" Car Cleaning Bundle at Super Cheap Auto. - Smells Great and Got the Scuff Marks off when water and microfibre didn't. I spritz and wipe down weekly after giving our MX Bowden's Own "Fully Slick" in between washes.

Kids.... white is a no go for me...
Weirdly enough the seats really are pretty stain proof. I've seen YouTubers reviewing their seats after a year of kiddie car seat use, the toddler trampling on and off those white car seats as well as toddler trashing etc ... usually family antics in the family car AND those White Seats held up REAL well!!! But I get the White Car Seat Anxiety! Kinda like Range Anxiety but you do get used to it. Regular Car Seat Care helps.

I was a little worried using sprays too but I had read that the Tesla Seats weren't true leather and felt something might be better than nothing and the scuff marks were bugging me! Bowden's Own "Vinyl Care" 500ml Spray Bottle - Got it in a Big Bucket of "Bowden's Own" Car Cleaning Bundle at Super Cheap Auto. - Smells Great and Got the Scuff Marks off when water and microfibre didn't. I spritz and wipe down weekly after giving our MX Bowden's Own "Fully Slick" in between washes.
I watched a video where standard baby wipes worked exceptionally well after a thrashing by kids. The baby wipes are clearly very gentle.

Reactions: Momentum1
I've seen the Bjorn Nyland Youtube videos and similar to him, I will be driving the car in navy blue jeans or dark blue cargo pants. I expect to keep the Model 3 (when I eventually order it. I'm waiting for the LR AWD non performance version) for at least 150,000 km or more over 5+ years of ownership.

His white seats in his Model X are permanently marked with a blue stain so it will be black seats for me unfortunately

@lonewolf313 are Bjorn’s the new white vegan leather (I think not)? If the seats have little holes all over them, which I believe Bjorn’s do, then he has real leather and not the vegan leather.....the vegan leather is the version of white seats which do not stain.....

Furthermore we have white vegan leather in our Model X and I have black real leather in my Model S and I can tell you the white vegan leather looks way better...kids in the back and I always wear dark blue jeans....the white vegan always looks simply stunning (up until the other day we’d never cleaned them with anything other than a damp microfiber cloth, cleaned with windex and now looks completely mark free).....

Last edited:
@lonewolf313 are Bjorn’s the new white vegan leather (I think not)? If the seats have little holes all over them, which I believe Bjorn’s do, then he has real leather and not the vegan leather.....the vegan leather is the version of white seats which do not stain.....

Furthermore we have white vegan leather in our Model X and I have black real leather in my Model S and I can tell you the white vegan leather looks way better...kids in the back and I always wear dark blue jeans....the white vegan always looks simply stunning (up until the other day we’d never cleaned them with anything other than a damp microfiber cloth, cleaned with windex and now looks completely mark free).....
Bjorn has a founders P90DL Model X with white interior. It is vegan leather. Back then the vegan seats had perforations with performance models.

@rioli33 then something must have changed....firstly I was told by Tesla sales vegan leather didn’t come with perforations (I believe it is now available as of 6mths ago), secondly if they did exist (and the Tesla sales staff was wrong, possible I guess) then the new version is rock solid and doesn’t stain like the version Bjon....

@rioli33 then something must have changed....firstly I was told by Tesla sales vegan leather didn’t come with perforations (I believe it is now available as of 6mths ago), secondly if they did exist (and the Tesla sales staff was wrong, possible I guess) then the new version is rock solid and doesn’t stain like the version Bjon....
I just think Bjorn got lazy with cleaning his seats and let one stain. I have no doubt that the white seats are superior, hence why I'm holding out for them on the Model 3.

Reactions: Ashleysteadman
I've seen the Bjorn Nyland Youtube videos and similar to him, I will be driving the car in navy blue jeans or dark blue cargo pants. I expect to keep the Model 3 (when I eventually order it. I'm waiting for the LR AWD non performance version) for at least 150,000 km or more over 5+ years of ownership.

His white seats in his Model X are permanently marked with a blue stain so it will be black seats for me unfortunately
My cream leather seats pick up a little blue jeans colour but it’s very easy to remove. Mostly just with a damp cloth, and leather cleaner about every 3 months. It’s not really an issue.

I have a Model S with white seats - The most regular question I get is “oh white seats they must be awful to keep clean!” You must be crazy!!

The great thing about the Tesla seats being vegan leather (aka artificial leather/pleather) is that they are super easy to keep clean - the white upholstery is really stain resistant; you can wipe it down with baby wipes or isopropyl alcohol - no worries about it drying out like real leather, and it feels super soft and comfortable! We have two (smallish) dogs that hang out in the back seats a lot and the only thing that the white seats show is their fur that they shed.

If you’re considering a model 3 and wanted the white seats, I have to say they are highly recommended!

Except we haven’t got that choice, pity. For me, I want an M3 more than the colour of the seats, and a compromise externally too. Never liked metallic white either (solid white would be my preference), but that’s what I’m getting...

I have flat white on my Model S, was more out of trying to make the car as cheap as possible to get it across the line with the boss....since then the boss has gotten herself a more expense Model X than my S by a considerable sum ;-)

I really really want to buy the M3P with the extras and a white interior blah blah but I’ve waited this long and driving around nearly 4 year old S aren’t bad so I will wait a bit longer to see if white gets released....

I also like the flat white more than metallic....years of buying Range Rovers I guess. I also wrapped my S, bloody expensive to do ($5k) and only lasts 2-3 years before it starts to look dodgy (and I went the top of the line material and wrapped by the guys that do Bentley’s etc.).....get the colour you want, have it protected and be happy....

I have flat white on my Model S, was more out of trying to make the car as cheap as possible to get it across the line with the boss....since then the boss has gotten herself a more expense Model X than my S by a considerable sum ;-)

I really really want to buy the M3P with the extras and a white interior blah blah but I’ve waited this long and driving around nearly 4 year old S aren’t bad so I will wait a bit longer to see if white gets released....

I also like the flat white more than metallic....years of buying Range Rovers I guess. I also wrapped my S, bloody expensive to do ($5k) and only lasts 2-3 years before it starts to look dodgy (and I went the top of the line material and wrapped by the guys that do Bentley’s etc.).....get the colour you want, have it protected and be happy....
Agree, even to the point of the Range Rover, mine was white and it was beautiful.

I just think Bjorn got lazy with cleaning his seats and let one stain. I have no doubt that the white seats are superior, hence why I'm holding out for them on the Model 3.

Bjorn does more wear to seats in 12 months than I will likely do in 12 years but I think his biggest issue was the white stitching and anywhere he wore through the surface. I think the white has been better than his old tan leather but he probably takes a bit better care of the white (except for letting hundreds of people sit in it in the first few months)