TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White Paint Bumper mismatch

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by pipplo, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Faustic

Faustic Member

He reached out to me regarding the issue and cancelled my delivery. I didn't ask for cancellation btw, he did that automatically since it didn't pass their inspection because of the mismatch.

2. pipplo

pipplo Member

I dropped my car off at the local service center for another issue, and pointed out the paint. The first person I talked to thought this was 'expected' but he'd have someone else look at it. I wasn't really expecting or looking for a change.

But now I've talked to them and I guess they've decided it needed to be fixed so they have sent it to get painted. Will post once I have an updated picture.

3. Devanish

Devanish Member

The same thing happened to me, my delivery was going to be 5/18

4. Faustic

Faustic Member

Well this just took a turn. The VIN was removed from my account. Not sure what that means but I didn't ask for a new vehicle. Kind of freaking out at the moment. Waiting to hear back from the DS. I hope I'm not stuck again in a queue waiting for a new VIN.

5. Colatabajonies

Colatabajonies New Member

This EXACT thing is happening to me too! Paint issue reported by delivery center.... VIN gone from my account.

• Informative x 1
  6. rodrego

rodrego Member

What were you VINs? I’m 197XX and my delivery is still on for tomorrow.

7. Colatabajonies

Colatabajonies New Member

I’m 158XX

8. Devanish

Devanish Member

My VIN is 197xx

9. rodrego

rodrego Member

VIN brother! My DS said no issues with my bumper...I guess i’ll see tomorrow @ pick up.

• Like x 1
  10. Zoglog

Zoglog Member

It's funny seeing my car's picture get floated on here from GigiM3 :)
    I recently made a post when I went to pick up the car on reddit

In summary they cracked my charge port and the bumper is aligned worse. I don't think I saw any improvement though I don't have as detailed before/after pictures as Indy3 Sadly.

I think the part that gets me is that the rear suffers from more mismatch than the front bumper.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  11. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

Well I took mine in for service today and asked them to look at the bumper color. They offered to have it painted and ordered a new bumper and will have me come back when it arrives. But now I’m wondering if should even bother. My current bumper isn’t really noticeable if you’re not looking. I would hate for it to turn out worse... :/

12. rodrego

rodrego Member

Picked up my white model 3 today. VIN 197XX. No paint mismatch issues. Car is absolutely gorgeous. So glad I went with pearl white.

• Helpful x 1
  13. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

This is great news. Mine is 185xx so they must have resolved the issues right in between our production runs.

Can you post photos of your bumper so we can see what it’s supposed to look like?

14. rodrego

rodrego Member

Blacked out my registration #.

15. rodrego

rodrego Member

D10F290F-95DE-45BF-92F9-04A809CDD27E.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. rodrego

rodrego Member

502ACA13-FB94-41E4-8426-AC86C4F68E99.png

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  17. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

That does look really good! I wonder what they’re doing differently? It occurred to me today that maybe they weren’t using a good enough primer to provide a consistent adhesion on both the metal and plastic.

18. rodrego

rodrego Member

That could be what was going on. This pearl white looks so good in person. I am seriously impressed. Pictures do not do the white color justice.

19. Devanish

Devanish Member

Well mine is also a 197xx and is in the body shop so I’m going to say no they didn’t resolve the issue :(

20. ergela

ergela Member

Could you take a picture in the sun? All of these look great indoors, it’s when you put it in the sun when the defect really shows. Mine looks exactly like that indoors..... but outside is a different story.

• Like x 1