Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White paint discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pearl white is notorious for this possibility and not just with Tesla. Other manufacturers that offer this color also deal with it. Biggest issue is that the different materials (metal for the body, plastic for the bumper) make very difficult to match perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: pkalhan
I just configured two days ago and chose pearl white. This has me a little worried and debating if I should go black. Can I still change colors? My $2500 deposit still showing as pending.

I believe you can, but I also believe that for the most part this is not an issue. Some of these are really bad, but nobody notices mine until i point it out and even then they aren't convinced if it's real or just a trick of the light.

Our spruce green metallic Avalon is pretty well matched but not perfect. Same for the blue Camry we had. From what I've seen it's something every manufacturer deals with. Now that you've noticed it I bet you'll see more cars with varying bumper colors!

Ever since I saw people complaining about this, every time I go to a parking lot, that's all I look at now. It's driving me crazy. :)
I've actually never really noticed this on other cars before until now. I see some issues with some other pearl white cars too. I saw a S500 sedan that didn't have any issues. Then again that's a 100k+ car. Saw a Accura MDX with fairly obvious issue. Some Toyotas have it. I had a pearl white Subaru before and I never noticed this problem. I think maybe pictures tend to make them look worse ?
I have a white model 3 on order and now I'm a little worried. Has anyone with this issue taken it to Tesla and were they able to do anything ?

My Wife's 2011 Ford Edge is white and the front bumper has definitely "yellowed" over the years (or maybe it was that time I used tanish meguires wax on the whole car and the bumper never looked the same.....) I don't really notice it anymore but also don't care that much because it's my wifes car. I was certainly leaning White because I love how the S looks but will I ever unsee that picture a few posts back....

Maybe I should go freebie black and then get a matte black wrap

I have a white Model 3 since December 2017. Ever since new, the color has stayed the same, no change. But I will say if you look really really closely under the right light, you can see the bumpers are slightly different. I am a perfectionist and even I do not find this to be an issue. I also have a midnight silver that the bumpers and body are a little different, just harder to notice. Most cars with plastic bumpers are off a bit. I REALLY like the Model 3 in white. Around my area, there are so many midnight silver Model 3's that they are getting boring to look at. Original poster, if you like white, get it. I see Model 3's every day. Order of most common color to least common: Midnight silver by a large margin, red, blue, white ,silver, and then black.

Have a new white and it looks fine bumper wise
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 2.18.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 2.17.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 2.17.41 PM.png

Reactions: voip-ninja
Last edited:
Tesla cars has this problem when it comes to white bumpers.
They use a different material on bumper (Plastic) than to the rest of the car (CF).
The albedo is different on the material so the white will reflect slightly different even if they are the same paint.

If you care about that, do not pick white colour. Deeper colours will have a smaller difference because the albedo effect is lessened.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
"Probably within Tesla specs" :):p

Speaking of emblem (don't want to be off topic..) for PPF front they are removing the emblem and have to put a new one for $25 (Tesla sells the emblems apparently). Debating if I want to put it back or make the car look like an E-Porsche :p:p

I had assumed everyone just reinstalled the original. Do they not? And for the cost of PPF, the installer should "cover" the emblem replacement cost if needed.

I had assumed everyone just reinstalled the original. Do they not? And for the cost of PPF, the installer should "cover" the emblem replacement cost if needed.

Right! You learn everyday.
The installer told me that it would be much better protection to put it full (behind the emblem) and yes he can stick it back but the tape Tesla uses is apparently ultra thin and the tape he has is twice the height. Still thinking if I want to put it back or not. :)