Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White seats exclusive to the P100D... It's a joke ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew I wasn't crazy on the grey. They are showing January delivery right now:

View attachment 191549

Yes, but that happens only when you choose the premium interior pack, and the delivery approximation is stll "mid-2017". Must be a bug or something.

Whatever, I want my car in february, I ordered with grey seats and if in decembre I see no changes I will contact my DS to change them to black or whatever... Something I really found ugly just because I can't wait.

By the way, for people who are looking for a Tesla for next month or so, there is still many new cars by Tesla with grey seats full options. I wanted them to keep one for me but they said they have to sell them as they receive them, so not possible.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I just ordered a 90D into Australia a couple of weeks ago. I asked the factory for the option of the new textile non-leather seats as they look better than the standard textile options. They said it is only available to P100D and wouldn't budge.
I'm sure I'll be happy with the 60-90D version.. strange that they are restricting this to the 100D only.

Reactions: Swissmoneychf
OP - my speculation is that Tesla doesn't have the production capacity yet to offer the premium seats across all price points so they may be restricting them to the P100D until they ramp up manufacturing capacity.

They are merging the X line and S line as much as possible, but they still have stock of old S parts they need to burn through. The old stocks of S parts are not gone but getting thinner. As soon as the old S seats are gone they will integrate the X seats into the entire line. I expect the new S seats are a bit scaled down from the X, the X is taller and I think the seats are a bit taller, but the new S seats will share as much with the X seats as possible.

They are merging the X line and S line as much as possible, but they still have stock of old S parts they need to burn through. The old stocks of S parts are not gone but getting thinner. As soon as the old S seats are gone they will integrate the X seats into the entire line. I expect the new S seats are a bit scaled down from the X, the X is taller and I think the seats are a bit taller, but the new S seats will share as much with the X seats as possible.

What are your sources for this if you don't mind me asking? Is this just pure speculation? Or do you have an inside man :) ?

What are your sources for this if you don't mind me asking? Is this just pure speculation? Or do you have an inside man :) ?

Everything Tesla did with the Model S refresh was porting features from the X to the S. When I brought that up to someone at the Portland delivery center she confirmed that's what they were doing. Still to go are the seats and the door panels.

It's a cost saving move on the part of Tesla. The Model X was supposed to share about 60% of the parts with the S, but when introduced the X only had 30% overlap. Most was in the drive train and batteries. The S got the center console standard, the X nose, the biodefense mode, the LED headlights, and the X charger options. Things that could have been ported, but wasn't were the front seats and the door panels with the pockets. I expect both will port over to the S eventually.

It's possible the X door handles might port to the S at some point. I would hope they never port the auto presenting doors, but that could happen too.

The two cars will probably never reach 60% overlap, but could reach 40-50%.

Everything Tesla did with the Model S refresh was porting features from the X to the S. When I brought that up to someone at the Portland delivery center she confirmed that's what they were doing. Still to go are the seats and the door panels.

It's a cost saving move on the part of Tesla. The Model X was supposed to share about 60% of the parts with the S, but when introduced the X only had 30% overlap. Most was in the drive train and batteries. The S got the center console standard, the X nose, the biodefense mode, the LED headlights, and the X charger options. Things that could have been ported, but wasn't were the front seats and the door panels with the pockets. I expect both will port over to the S eventually.

It's possible the X door handles might port to the S at some point. I would hope they never port the auto presenting doors, but that could happen too.

Makes sense, but then again they never brought over the red calipers and spoiler options for the lower models even though they got hassled a fair bit for them. Who knows what they're thinking.

I am a bit bigger than the average person so the current textile seats may even be more comfier than the new ones - will never know. I only plan on keeping this Tesla for 2-3 yrs so maybe they will have something even better out then. I will hassle them again for the new seats though... doesn't seem fair but

Makes sense, but then again they never brought over the red calipers and spoiler options for the lower models even though they got hassled a fair bit for them. Who knows what they're thinking.

I am a bit bigger than the average person so the current textile seats may even be more comfier than the new ones - will never know. I only plan on keeping this Tesla for 2-3 yrs so maybe they will have something even better out then. I will hassle them again for the new seats though... doesn't seem fair but

Tesla makes a heap of profit on the P models. It's important that they keep certain differences between the P models and the lower models. The red calipers and spoiler are visible signature features of the P model and they won't put them on "slum" cars like the 90D or the 60/75. The extra cost for those items on the P is a drop in the bucket compared to the massive profit they make on those cars.

On the bread and butter versions, the 60/75 and 90D, they need to constantly look for cost savings. Tesla is probably barely breaking even on a stripped S60. They have the 75 battery in there and they have shaved the prices as much as they can to make the entry car as affordable as possible.

I have the textile seats on my S and I'm going to upgrade to the next gens. The headrests on the base seats lean forward and they are hell on both my neck and my SO's neck. I've been waiting for my finances to stabilize before I pulled the trigger and ordered the seats. Financially August turned out a bit better than I expected and I asked her this evening if we should throw the extra windfall at the seats or something we had been talking about she wanted. She immediately said get the seats, they are bothering her way too much. And both of us hate leather seats.

I would like the X seats, but I'll settle for the next gen S seats.

Tesla makes a heap of profit on the P models. It's important that they keep certain differences between the P models and the lower models. The red calipers and spoiler are visible signature features of the P model and they won't put them on "slum" cars like the 90D or the 60/75. The extra cost for those items on the P is a drop in the bucket compared to the massive profit they make on those cars.

On the bread and butter versions, the 60/75 and 90D, they need to constantly look for cost savings. Tesla is probably barely breaking even on a stripped S60. They have the 75 battery in there and they have shaved the prices as much as they can to make the entry car as affordable as possible.

I have the textile seats on my S and I'm going to upgrade to the next gens. The headrests on the base seats lean forward and they are hell on both my neck and my SO's neck. I've been waiting for my finances to stabilize before I pulled the trigger and ordered the seats. Financially August turned out a bit better than I expected and I asked her this evening if we should throw the extra windfall at the seats or something we had been talking about she wanted. She immediately said get the seats, they are bothering her way too much. And both of us hate leather seats.

Can I ask you how much are you paying to upgrade the seats ?

That's more speculation that actual fact. While the S is getting some of the features that were first introduced in the X, things like the refreshed nose, the LED headlights, the bio-defense mode, and even the center console are partially to completely different parts between the two cars. The seats obviously drop in with little to no changes required but it's yet to be seen if the front door panels are a direct swap.

Can I ask you how much are you paying to upgrade the seats ?

Only a little bit more than they would have cost originally, though they said the wait can be up to 8 weeks and they are only going to replace the front seats.

That's more speculation that actual fact. While the S is getting some of the features that were first introduced in the X, things like the refreshed nose, the LED headlights, the bio-defense mode, and even the center console are partially to completely different parts between the two cars. The seats obviously drop in with little to no changes required but it's yet to be seen if the front door panels are a direct swap.

Almost everything on this forum that talks about the future is speculation. That's kind of a given.

The primary difference between the center console on the S and X is the rear cupholder on the X. I saw someone here retrofitted the refit S console with the X cupholders. All it took was replacing the back part. I think the two consoles are otherwise identical. The headlight housing did need to be redesigned for the S and the nose part is an all new part that just looks like the X, but it appears they bit the bullet and re-engineered that due to better aerodynamics. The refit Ss get a little better range than the pre-refit Ss.

Compare Side-by-Side

I would bet the actual headlight part is the same between the two cars. There are probably other parts shared between the two in the refit S we don't see or know about.

As for the door panels, someone will need to make some measurements of the X door panel and compare to the S. It's possible the X is a little taller, but from examining pictures of the two side by side, they look to be identical in contours and dimensions except the X has the door pocket molded in. The S may have some equipment where the door pocket would go and that may require some interior redesign of the door, but from the outside, it looks like the X door panels should fit the S.

I do speculate here, but I do so based on almost 30 years of engineering experience and usually at least a little research. It's quite possible I'm wrong, Tesla has surprised me before, but there are some things that appear to be possible from an engineering perspective and others that would be major projects.

For example, I would say the S will never get a windshield like the X. It would require a major structural redesign to the point of completely altering the car as well as make it much more difficult to build.

Last edited:
Only a little bit more than they would have cost originally, though they said the wait can be up to 8 weeks and they are only going to replace the front seats.

Almost everything on this forum that talks about the future is speculation. That's kind of a given.

The primary difference between the center console on the S and X is the rear cupholder on the X. I saw someone here retrofitted the refit S console with the X cupholders. All it took was replacing the back part. I think the two consoles are otherwise identical. The headlight housing did need to be redesigned for the S and the nose part is an all new part that just looks like the X, but it appears they bit the bullet and re-engineered that due to better aerodynamics. The refit Ss get a little better range than the pre-refit Ss.

Compare Side-by-Side

I would bet the actual headlight part is the same between the two cars. There are probably other parts shared between the two in the refit S we don't see or know about.

As for the door panels, someone will need to make some measurements of the X door panel and compare to the S. It's possible the X is a little taller, but from examining pictures of the two side by side, they look to be identical in contours and dimensions except the X has the door pocket molded in. The S may have some equipment where the door pocket would go and that may require some interior redesign of the door, but from the outside, it looks like the X door panels should fit the S.

I do speculate here, but I do so based on almost 30 years of engineering experience and usually at least a little research. It's quite possible I'm wrong, Tesla has surprised me before, but there are some things that appear to be possible from an engineering perspective and others that would be major projects.

For example, I would say the S will never get a windshield like the X. It would require a major structural redesign to the point of completely altering the car as well as make it much more difficult to build.
All it takes is one seemingly minor difference for a given part to be totally different. For the center console example, the actual base and structure of the console is actually the old Model S console. Both cars appear to share the base, side panels, and main body insert with the flip top cover. The sliding forward covers are different as well as the wiring, rear vents and rear cupholder panel. Little differences like that add up quickly. I am hoping that some X door panels show up on eBay soon though so I can try them out.

If it's all about making profit - they could charge 90D customers a sum to add those extra's on - and make more profit. 90D customers aren't necessarily buying the lower model because of a money issue. The reason I didn't get the P series was because my city is a police state and it will be hard enough to stay in the speed limit in a 4 second car, let alone a 3 second car. Also the extra range on the 90D was a more attractive option for me.

I'm surprised you didn't like the textile seats, but everyone is different. I am not considering leather so will have to make do with the textile option - I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the textile seats. Good and bad with either type of seat I suppose.

It's a cost saving move on the part of Tesla. The Model X was supposed to share about 60% of the parts with the S, but when introduced the X only had 30% overlap. Most was in the drive train and batteries. The S got the center console standard, the X nose, the biodefense mode, the LED headlights, and the X charger options.
The new S nose is not the X nose part. It's a different part. No cost savings, just harmonizing the look of the two models. The S LED headlights are different than the X LED headlights, different style and shape. No cost savings. I don't' think the center consoles are the same part either.

I really don't get it. A base Model X can have it and a 120k 90d can't, what's going on with Tesla ? Plus, there's no more grey seats at the moment, so if we don't want black seats we have no choice but the ugly beige seats... For me it's nothing but a joke.

Au contraire mon frere! The "beige" seats are actually a very attractive tan, and would look great with all of the colors except Midnight Silver and Silver Metallic. My wife has tan seats in her refreshed Titanium Metallic S 70D (and loves them), and I intend to order them in my P100D next summer/fall (before the expiration of the tax credit on Teslas).